Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bajoran orbs

Perrryyy Guest

Bajoran orbs

Has anyone written up the stats for the Bajoran orbs? How many are there? How could they be written up under LUG?

Reason for my asking: I've thought about writing up the Witchblade as a "special weapon" (ala D&D style) and wanted a template for a starter.

IMHO the Bajoran Orbs are artifact prop devices and are beyond definition, they can probably do whatever you want them to do. No need for definition.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

As for how many there are and what they are.

There are 10 orbs. Although only 9 were known prior to 2375, and I doubt the tenth will be that well known outside of the Bajoran community.

The ones we know;

Orb of Prophecy and change ; allows a glimpse of what is to be. Not neccesarily an accurate glance, more of a vision than pre-emptive view of what will be. Allowing the viewer to change the future if need be, and if they understand their vision. Acquired by Grand Nagus Zek in 2369, and sold back to the Bajoran people in exchange for trading rights after a tense politial stand-off (see the book 'The 34th Rule')

Orb of Wisdom. The only orb to remain in Bajoran custody throughout the occupation. This orb offers its viewer the opportunity to seek extra wisdom to guide thei path (or Pagh), often through a vision of past experience or through a vision of those close to the viewer.

Orb of Time; This orb was returned to Bajor by the Cardassians as part of the on-going peace treaties prior to the Dominion War. this orb allows its viewer and sometimes even those around them through time to interact with events of the past or future. This orb has been classified and remains with Bajoran Monks, although representatives of the Federation DTI have loaned personnel and equipment, at the vedek councils request, to study the orb and ensure its protection against mis-use.
    NOTE: This last part is pure conjecture on my part, but it makes some sense...

Orb of the Emmisary; This orb was discovered by benjamin Sisko in 2375. Where it appeared to lauch an energy bolt to the Bajoran system and into the wormhole, where the sealed wormhole opened up for the first time in nearly a year. Use of this Orb since has been unknown, but the casket was returned to the Vedek council by the emissary upon his return to DS9.
    NOTE: Again a little conjecture on my part.

Those are the canon orbs, with a little unofficial extra. However that leaves 6 orbs left...

The Orb of Experience; Lost during the occupation, the orb of experience is believed captured or destroyed as it was within the possesion of the Dak'Tara resistance group, massacred in 2349. The Orb of Experience was said to offer insight into, and the ability to develop, new skills. What those skills were would be unknown until the viewer looked into the orb, but the only certainty was that these skills would be connected to the path the viewers pagh should take. It is also said that if used a second time the user will gain no benifit.

USE: The orb would allow its viewer the ability to develop 3 skills in a manner similar to that used by the Trill symbiont past host method. The user would gain 3 skills which would be available for purchase for 1XP less than the standard cost for the 1st level only, the narrator would determine the relvant skills gained, but only at the first level.

AUTHORS NOTE: I had also considered an Orb of Reflection but the whole point seemed so similar to the Orb of Wisdom that there seemed no point. the name does sound right though, so if anyone has any ideas for this Orb lets add it.

Any other Fan Based Orbs that we can put up to make up the full 10?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

From the 'Avatar' DS9 Novel

the Orb of Memory: Found on a Cardassian freighter adrift in the Badlands by the Enterprise-E a few months after the Dominion War, it forced the away team, including the mandroid lt. commander Data into contemplating their strongest memories, and also to experience the last moments of the crew and their Bajoran prisoners. Only after the closing of the Orb's arch by commander Elias Vaughn were the affected officers able to regain control over their thoughts and emotions.
    Last edited by Robbert Raets; 11-12-2001 at 12:10 PM.
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Hey, that was cool, Robbert. Gotta read this book.

I thought of the Orb of Life. I like the concept, however, I can't really come up with an interesting effect (affecting longevity is a bit, well, easy or overdone IMHO). Maybe allowing communications with the dead (would rather be the Orb of Death), but I find it too creepy. Ideas?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Minor healing? Reviving from coma or near death? Getting to see your children & grandchildren before they're born?

In my campaign, I had one of the PCs inducted into the Bajoran Order of the Orb of Valor at a ceremonial award presentation. I'm open to suggestions for what the Orb of Valor does.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Possibly something similar as the Prophets did to Nagus Zek when he took the Orb of Prophecy & Change into the Celestial Temple......

Perrryyy Guest

Thanks Guys :)

Thanks to all (especially Dan, good stuff there!) for help with this thread. Gives me a few ideas...

The Orb of Memory... Damn. Forgot that one. Another Bajoran Orb that has found its way back into Bajoran possesion since its disappearance in the early 24th century.

I like the Orb of Life.

Perhaps it does have some healing properties, and was once in the possesion of a small order of Vedeks who focused on the healing arts.

Allowing the treatment of both body and mind...

Maybe it allows viewers to interact with the recently dead more as a vision, as an aspect of the viewer psyche, but offering the greiver an opportunity to say goodbye and find peace themselves... After all, just because we know that the dead person may well be built from memories, its unlikely that the Bajoran faith would see it so scientifically...

So that one can be added.

thing about the Orbs is trying to find a name thats suitable, along with effects that dont copy one of the established orbs. I wonder if the notes for the unprinted Bajoran Sourcebook took a stab at all orbs and what they were???

As an aside; I remember that Seve Long mentioned a 'Pagh' system that I imagined would be the Bajoran equivalent of Courage points, which was never revealed, so if anyone can come up with a system (or simply renames Courage for Bajorans), another side effect of an orb experience could be the full refresh of 'Pagh'?
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Orbs, orbs, wonderful orbs!

The Orb of Honor - The Orb causes an individual to experience either a plausible fictional or actual past historical event which tests that person's sense of honor. Keeping in mind of course that the Orb determines what constitutes honorable acts (within reason). I could see Ferengi failing miserably and Klingons feeling entirely overconfident going in to a test. . .

The upshot is, like most Orb experiences, that it's an educational experience (if one cares to pay attention).

Oh, and according to Decipher's ccg, the Orb of Prophecy and Change was never found by the Cardies and the Orb of Wisdom bought&sold by Zek.

According to that ccg, the Bajoran storytellers use an 'Orb Fragment' to summon the Dal'Rok monster O'Brien was supposed to control. So maybe some of the orbs were destroyed/broken into pieces. Thoughts on that?

Perrryyy Guest

back on topic

Good ideas. Here was my original thought process when I started this thread. Bring "Witchblade" to Star Trek.

General ideas right now:

Sereta Pazar, a Bajoran security officer chosen to guard some of Bajors lesser known, but still important, artifacts. That is, until her partner is killed in the line of duty. While guarding the artifacts one night, she & her partner are attacked by members of the Cult of the Pah Wraiths. During the attack, one of the artifacts falls from its broken case (damaged during a fight) and melds with her.

What powers should the artifact have? I'm thinking armor similar to the Gargoyle's from the other thread, and possibly limited precognition.

Other antagonists/facilitators/allies

The leader of the Bajoran militia is a ring leader of a group of security officers loyal to the Pah Wraiths, or perhaps another malevolent factor in Bajoran society.

Her new partner is an undercover agent with SF security.

During the pilot, she runs into a Nausicaan (or genetically engineered human) whose rival works for a powerful Ferengi. The ferengi is an afficianado of Bajoran artifacts, and is the only person that can help unravel the mystery of her new found amulet.

Comments?

No real connection here, but I suddenly had another idea for an Orb when reading your post : the Orb of War. This Orb may give insights for the resolution of conflicts, some strategical knowledge, or something similar.

Maybe this Orb could be a "Dark Orb" - being not connected to the Prophets but the Pagh-Wraiths instead - and, instead of giving mere visions, would also influence behaviours of people (think DS9 episode "Dramatis Personae").

I don't see how yet, but maybe you could find some use of this?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Something that is being explored in the continuation of DS9 in the novel format is the notion of Ro as the "Bajoran Athiest." For another set of villains, you could go one step further: Militant Anti-Prophets/Anti-Pah'Wraiths. Bajorans who figure that the Prophets and the Pah'Wraiths are just another two types of Occupiers, like the Cardassians were - leave us the hell alone, so we can live our own damned lives!

Not fanatics, just militant athiests, people willing to destroy artifacts or books or other material items that "prove" the influence of the prophets are good, or bring power to the Pah'Wraiths...

The Doc
    So you think, 'Might as well,
    Dance a Tango to Hell,
    at least I'll have Tangoed at all.'
    -- "Rent," Jonathan Larson