20 28.57%
  • They have quite a few similarities.

42 60.00%
  • No, there is really no resemblance.

8 11.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Enterprise (NX-01) Look Like the Akira

Question Does Enterprise (NX-01) Look Like the Akira

Everyone keeps saying Akira-prise so let's see...
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Yup. Fortunately, I like the look of the Akira.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I don't agree that its a complete rip-off but I'll say that it was not the most original design they'd come up with. Personally, I'd had thought that early Starfleet ships would be in the Daedalus-class style, but then the design was probably too hookey for modern TV audiences.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

re: Akiraprise

I'm really surprisd by the number of votes at this point, it is so obvious a ripoff of the Akira its not funny.

When this series first started I was hoping to see a deadulis class ( I know I didnt spell that right ) ship.

I'll come out and say I'm currently the only non-similar vote thus far.

Why do I say that? I suppose if I wanted to seem them as similar I could, but only in the sense that I see one between the Enterprise-A and -D or between the Miranda and Nebula.

To me, they honestly look very different. Just a personal opinion. I suspected (and thus far seem to be right) that most people would vote in the "resemblance" category.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Angry Total Rip-off

It is soooo totaly a rip-off! I can't believe they were so lazy as to not make up a new modle. . .or even just use a more "todays T.V" friendly Daedalus-class ship. (Which I would have love to have seen! .)

I am offended that they would take the Akira-class modle, toss "old style nacelles" on it, and try to pass this off as an old class! The Akria-prise sucks!

(Of course I was never a fan of those damn ugly ships they made for ST:First Contact anyway. This might be clouding my present judgement of the ship.)

(BTW, I have been checking out the DUS [damn ugly ships] from ST:First Contact, and I must admit I have been warming up to the Saber-class. It's spaceframe is not so far removed from what has become the norm for Star Trek. The others. . .please! Not only un-Trek, but counter to every rule of fleet building! Space/room on a ship is a valuable commodity. . .no unused area would be allowed for any ship design. The unused areas between the nacelles should have gotten the designer shot!)

>Crazy Ranting Mode Off<

Sorry about that. . .
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

While I voted 'total rip-off', I should say that I actually mean that it looks too much like the Akira
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Sorry, folks. The new Enterprise is a rip-off. But you have to admit, they did pick the right ship to rip-off. At least, I think so.
    Can I have some Amy Jo Johnson, mama?

"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
    darkwingone@hotmail.com
    gameshowman@winning.com

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I'll come out and say I'm currently the only non-similar vote thus far.

Why do I say that? I suppose if I wanted to seem them as similar I could, but only in the sense that I see one between the Enterprise-A and -D or between the Miranda and Nebula.

To me, they honestly look very different. Just a personal opinion. I suspected (and thus far seem to be right) that most people would vote in the "resemblance" category.
    I have to agree that the similarities are fewer once you see Enterprise from angles other than the full dorsal view that was featured in the earliest publicity shot. In almost any other angle, the Akira-like features are much less prominent.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Parked within 10 feet of 29 degrees, 57' N, 90 degrees, 8' W. Did I mention my new phone has GPS?

Re: Total Rip-off

Originally posted by redwood973

(BTW, I have been checking out the DUS [damn ugly ships] from ST:First Contact, and I must admit I have been warming up to the Saber-class. It's spaceframe is not so far removed from what has become the norm for Star Trek. The others. . .please! Not only un-Trek, but counter to every rule of fleet building! Space/room on a ship is a valuable commodity. . .no unused area would be allowed for any ship design. The unused areas between the nacelles should have gotten the designer shot!)

>Crazy Ranting Mode Off<

Sorry about that. . . [/B]
    Dunno, it worked pretty good for the P-38 Lightning during WWII. And for that matter, there's plenty of unused room between the nacelles of the layout used since the original Enterprise. (En Ce Ce One Seven Oh One. No bloody A, B, C, or D!) That all said, I still think that flipping an Akira over and putting old style nacelles on it was a lame idea!
    "If it ain't the Devil's music, you ain't doin' it right" -- Chris Thomas King

"C makes for an awfully long lever." - H. Beam Piper

Of course it's a rip-off!

How dare Berman & Braga present us with a ship that has nacelles! The audacity of offering a design with a saucer section! And that bridge design, with the Captain's chair in the middle! How shockingly unoriginal.

Sarcasm aside, while the original dorsal shot of the NX-01 only served to highlight the similarities between Enterprise and the Akira-class ships, their profiles are sufficiently different that I don't have a problem with it. (Besides which, it's a decent hull design.)

Look at the Akira, technically being in the future from the present series, as a tribute to the NX-01. (Which may even be something Berman & Braga told themselves when determining the final design.)

Doubtless, there are fans who would prefer something closer to the original concepts for NCC-1701 (which later models such as the Olympic-class resemble) ... but there's nothing to suggest in a canon sense where such designs would have been presented. From a designer's point of view, conceptual sketches for NCC-1701 have no value in canon terms unless the original request was to present an evolution of a ship's design.

So, Dan - yes, there are similarities, but I can live with 'em. Better that than the theme song.

Cool I BLAME RODDEBERRY...

For mocking the original Connie when he presented a 24th-century starship, the Galaxy. Everything is basically the same frame design, the only difference is that it has 1980's Euro-style smooth design. It's like the Connie mated with a puffer fish.

Like it or not, the ENTERPRISE is established as is. For some, it will take some time to get used to it. For example, I never like the Defiant when it first came out. Later during the show's sixth season, I've grown fond of that "tough, little ship."

Maybe the ENTERPRISE is the predecessor to the Akira, just as the Connie is to the Excelsior, Ambassador, Galaxy, and Sovereign.

As for the Daedalus, it's too big a ship to be built, or perhaps it is in the process of building in this ENTERPRISE time period.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

I was in the Akira-prise camp, until the show actually came on. Now I have to say it is similar. Top-down, yes it does look alot like the Akira. Sideview, not so much...Reminds me of an old fasa design, Loknar I think.

As far as I am concerned the ship is the best part of the show.

As to those who have stated that the FC ships are so "not a fleet standard design," I say yeah, lets keep the warp nacelles way out from the ship with a sign that says "Most important part of propulsion system. Aim here to cripple my vessel." All the new designs make so much more sense then the old Connie-class. OHHH, HERESY.

What Phantom Said

At first I too was crying "foul"

But the more I look at it the less it looks like an Akira.

I too think it looks very much more like the old FASA Loknar Class Frigates then an Akira Class Heavy Cruiser.

The Akiral, besides the warp engs being down not up, had a lot more "meat" on the saucer....the underside of the Akira looks a lot different the the NX01.

If you look at an Akira next to other ship in FC you can tell it's a big ass ship, NX01 very much looks like a 79 person ship.

I'm not near as worked up about the ship as I was at first....I'm far more pissed about B&B having Klingons and there homeworld around every friggin black hole.
    Wolf.

Its similar...

Thus my brain has edited the Enterprise as the great grand-daddy of the Akira class.

My sole disappointment was due to the interviews where the design was descrbed as new and exciting, less than a month before we saw the ship. And at the salary of the Paramount art team who are paid to come up with these 'new and exciting' ideas.

Thus my sense of entertainment can accept the ship. easily. But my opinion of the originality of the production staff has dropped several notches...

So even with all the rave reviews you guys have been giving, I am still very neutral on the show, and in no rush to go out and see it as soon as possible, I'll watch it and form my opinion then, I am just not bothered about when. Unlike DS9 and Voyager that I scooped off the shelves on day of release (over here in the UK the video release is often earlier than the broadcast dates.).
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)