Thread: Rationale for some characters?

Perrryyy Guest

Rationale for some characters?

I've been considering the rationale for some of the more oddball "break the mold" characters we've seen in Trek

Case in point: Dr Reyga, a Ferengi scientist (a strange idea if ever there was one)

Sakoma, the Vulcan gunrunner for the Maquis (what's a logical person like this doing helping a band of outlaws?)

Can anyone think of more (or what the motivation for these types of characters is?)

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

If Vulcan merchants exsist, some of them will be into black market and smuggling.
    The logic behind this: (Relatively) high profit + (relatively) low risk = "I believe we have what humans call a 'deal'"
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

As for Vulcan gun runners, try this: all sentient beings have an inherant right to defend themselves when necessary. This is generally accepted as a good thing. Therefore it is logical that someone must supply them with the means to do so. Ergo, gunrunning is not a violation of Vulcan ethics, but rather an affirmation of them.

As for the circumstance of the buyer using them for other than imminent self defense, it is impossible for any one to control the acts of another, esp when they are not present at the time. Therefore it is illogical to hold the gunrunner liable for what the buyer does after the sale is completed.
    Deo Vindice!

Originally posted by darkwing duck1
    As for Vulcan gun runners, try this: all sentient beings have an inherant right to defend themselves when necessary. This is generally accepted as a good thing. Therefore it is logical that someone must supply them with the means to do so. Ergo, gunrunning is not a violation of Vulcan ethics, but rather an affirmation of them.
    Vulcan ethics can be decribed in one word: "logic".

Remember Spock's wedding?

Vulcans don't follow the logical course of action, they use logic to justify what they have already decided to do.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

As for the Ferengi scientist, undoubtedly, he owns the patents for anything he invents. It may not be a fast profit, but a careful long-term investment. Or, because it was such a radical idea, maybe it does qualify as a high-risk, high-yield investment scheme.

There could even be underwriters and people who bought up shares in a speculative market.

Perrryyy Guest
    Styro: Ya got me there on both counts!

Robert Raets: I guess the problem I have is "If Vulcan merchants exist". From the standpoint of logic, it doesn't seem reasonable to sell what could be replicated, especially since if money has gone the way of the dinosaur as it does (did? will do?) on Earth.

Darkwing: Same thing. If you accept that Vulcans are after profit, you've got good suggestions. I guess that's where I'm hung up.

Robert Lai: Good one!

Money has only "gone the way of the dinosaurs" in the Federation. Just about every other major (minor) government still uses money. As an example, only the military and those in the higher echelons of Romulan goverment have access to replicators...The common citizen still needs to buy what they need from merchants.

Perrryyy Guest
    Phantom, makes sense to me (actually it was Paris - a Federation citizen who said that in an ep IIRC). good point!

Also, I seem to remember an ep. of TNG where they had to "pull over" a Klingon merchant and do a "health inspection". So, the Klingons still have a monetary economy as well.

As for the Ferengi scientist, he doesn't have necessarily to be motivated by profit.
    Although that's the way the Trekverse works, every member of a race doesn't have to think and act the same way; this is one of the little nitpicks of Trek that bothers me (hey, on 21th century Earth, we don't even have a common behaviour for every people in a country).

So for me it's OK if some characters step sometime away from cliché, like studious Ferengi, greedy Klingons, murderous Humans (these ones are much common), straightforward Romulans, philantropic Cardassians, etc...

Well, my 2 cents on the subject anyway.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by C5
    As for the Ferengi scientist, he doesn't have necessarily to be motivated by profit.
    Although that's the way the Trekverse works, every member of a race doesn't have to think and act the same way; this is one of the little nitpicks of Trek that bothers me (hey, on 21th century Earth, we don't even have a common behaviour for every people in a country).

So for me it's OK if some characters step sometime away from cliché, like studious Ferengi, greedy Klingons, murderous Humans (these ones are much common), straightforward Romulans, philantropic Cardassians, etc...

Well, my 2 cents on the subject anyway.
    Some good ideas here! Thanks, C5!

You're welcome.
    Here are some other unusal characters I thought of :
    Icy Betazoid
    Profit-driven Bajoran
    War-loving Bolian
    Gentle and caring Andorian
    Sadistic Vulcan (but still logical : it's logical to inflict pain and humiliation to others, to show them the Vulcan way is the best, since they feel no humiliation and control pain)
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Perrryyy Guest
    Originally posted by C5
    You're welcome.
    Gentle and caring Andorian
    Funny you should mention this one. In one of my PBEM's, I play an Andorian administrative aide to a captain. Sorta like Radar O'Reilly. He's green (a rookie, military-wise - enlisted so he could see the universe) and harmless as a flea!