Thread: DecTrek Despiration

DecTrek Despiration

Is there an ETA on when news of a preview of this game might be out?

Also, what is likely to be the first two "Period" sourcebooks for the game. Will it be TNG and TOS for example, or TNG and VOY, etc.?

I'd like to start working on a new campaign but I have nothing to go on as far as system or support (i.e. how much work will I have to do and how much will be done for us).

AndorMan
    I'm in an Andorian State of Mind

Thumbs down

I think it's due out sometime in December, 2377.

Seriously, nobody here has any more clue about release dates than you, except for the developers. And the developers aren't saying much, because their company generally doesn't allow them to (well, at least my company doesn't allow me to broadcast things of this nature - most want to wait for Marketing to make the announcements). Most developers are under a non-disclosure agreement. Which means they can usually tell what product they are working on, but cannot release any details - including production date. My advice is to sit still, breathe, and word will come down when Decipher is ready for it to. In the interim, start working on your campaign.

How can you work on your campaign without the books? Easily. You don't need a set of rules to come up with a setting. Start outlining some planets, some NPC's, and some story arcs.

I've seen question after question in this exact same vein. When? When? When? Personally I'd rather them wait until the game is perfect before it lands in my hands. And I'm happy to be patient with them. With Icon's designers at the helm, backed by Deciphers mad graphic art skills, the product is sure to be one-hundred percent Pure Goodness.

Take all the time you need, Decipher. It'll be worth the wait, I'm sure of it.

So they're gonna miss their already promised release date of Dec this year? They solicited orders through Previews (the comic and game catalog) MONTHS ago.
    Deo Vindice!

I was talking to a friend who owns a gaming store today, he was saying that Dec is concentrating more on LOTR (he's seen way more ads for LOTR then DecTrek.) As it should be, after all LOTR is the "cash cow" of the next few years.

Lately I have been a little sceptical as to Dec getting both lines out on time, I'm not trying to be negative it would be hard for any company to get two major lines out in such short order.

I tend to agree with my friend, I think we will see the LOTR RPG before we see DecTrek...I just hope there is too much of a gulf between them.

Note: to the Dec design team, the above was not meant as a shot or anything like that...we (I) recognize the work that you all put into the products you are in charge of. Take the time...make a good franchise into an excellent one.

Arrow

The LOTR Adventure Game will be out before the Star Trek RPG, but the LOTR RPG isn't going to be close to being out until early next year. Yes, everyone is working as hard as possible to get these games done (and done right) but there's only so much time in a day and so many layout people.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    The LOTR Adventure Game will be out before the Star Trek RPG, but the LOTR RPG isn't going to be close to being out until early next year. Yes, everyone is working as hard as possible to get these games done (and done right) but there's only so much time in a day and so many layout people.
    My point exactly.

Well my contacts from when I was a RPG/CCG Distributor tell me that Decipher has solicited them this week for orders, for shipment in December.

Now this is said with a smile as Decipher has a bit of a reputation for delays with CCG product.

I on the other hand remain positive.

And yes, Decipher has lost the Star Wars CCG license to WoTC.
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

If I can get the books by Christmas I'll be happy. Heck, I'll be happy whenever I get them.
    Freedom is a package deal - with it comes responsibilities and consequences.<BR>
    <B>England forever!!! Scotland just a <i>wee</i> bit longer.</B>

I can wait, but...

Most of my players are not nearly as big fans of Star Trek as I am. With the new series, interest has been piqued again just enough for me to suggest a Trek campaign and get some serious consideration. A new system is the icing on the cake, the offer they can refuse.

Trust me, I've got 18 years of material with which to create a campaign and more episodes then any two Star Trek TV series combined. It's putting that stuff to rules that takes the most time.

AndorMan
    Andoria...The Final Frontier

Originally posted by Don Mappin

Ummm... could they use some free help? Just send the final versions of everything to me. I'd be happy to lay it all out for you... yeah, that's the ticket!
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Originally posted by dimeboy99
    If I can get the books by Christmas I'll be happy. Heck, I'll be happy whenever I get them.
    Well... since Don said LOTR would be out before DecTrek, and LOTR won't be out until "early next year", I seriously doubt you'll have DecTrek (or LOTR) by Christmas...
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

The LotR Adventure Game...

... will be out before DecTrek, not the full-fledged RPG. The 288-page LotR RPG is due out in February, while the Adventure Game will be out next month. Think stripped down easy-to-play version, and that's what the Adventure Game is -- primarily for newbies to gaming.

Steve

Originally posted by calguard66

Well... since Don said LOTR would be out before DecTrek, and LOTR won't be out until "early next year", I seriously doubt you'll have DecTrek (or LOTR) by Christmas...

Whoops, Calguard, I think you misread Don's message.

Point of Clarification: there are two different LotR products coming out for that RPG. First is the Adventure Game, which is a trimmed version of the full-fledged RPG (using the same rules as DecTrek and the formal LotR RPG). The Adventure Game is one of this boxed sets designed to get new players involved. Its release is related to the film's release, this December. (That Adventure Game is really handsomely dressed, by the way.)

A larger, full-on LotR RPG will come out later, presumably in a hardback book or somesuch.

So, if I understand Don and Decipher correctly, the rough order of these products is expected to be:

1. The Lord of the Rings Adventure Game
    2. The Star Trek Roleplaying Game (DecTrek)
    3. The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game (full edition)

Note that I have no information on how any of these products are proceeding and know nothing of Decipher's inner workings. This is just what the publicized information has suggested.

Me ... I've got a campaign with new players I'm aching to start (episodes paced out, some written, one returning Icon character itching to play), but I don't want to start with Icon and then go through all the conversion stuff.

word,
    will
    (so impatient!)

Gol-lee!

You're pretty quick on that Reply trigger, Mr. Cook!

word,
    will

Talking LOL!

Simultaneous posts rock! I Jinx you first!

Steve