Thread: Negative Renown

Question Negative Renown

'Tis a silly question but I rely on roleplaying for renown and promotions.

Basically Cpt Bill Stryke is getting negative renown due to recent problems (if ya read the other post).

So how is it added on to keep your total accumlating. (never had to give negative renown)

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Red face

Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    'Tis a silly question but I rely on roleplaying for renown and promotions.

Basically Cpt Bill Stryke is getting negative renown due to recent problems (if ya read the other post).

So how is it added on to keep your total accumlating. (never had to give negative renown)

I'll assume for the moment that the good Captain is losing points in an aspect for which Starfleet favors positive Renown values. Unless the negative Renown points bring the total for the given aspect below zero, I would simply subtract from the positive Renown total and regard it as a diminished reputation in that area. If the value in that aspect goes below zero, you've simply got a character particularly noted for a poor reputation in that aspect.

I believe it was recently suggested by one of the former LUG gents (Steve Long, perhaps?) that total Renown be calculated separately from the current individual Renown categories. For instance, if Commander Billy-Bob Jimbo had a total Renown of 30 with 10 points in Discipline and received -5 Discipline points, his Discipline would go down to 5, but his total would go up to 35.

Lightbulb

I don't know if that's how Steve does it, but that's how it's done in my games.

I have players track individual Renown in the different aspects, and the absolute value of all Renown awarded (regardless of aspect) is reflected in the overall Renown value.

Don

The description of how I do it is correct. You're supposed to keep track of all Renown, both positive and negative. That's how you determine your overall Renown total. But you also need to be aware of your value in each category. It really ought to be listed something like this:

Discipline: 40 (45/-5)

The Renown rules are one of the clunkier elements of the system. Had we gotten to do a second edition of the ICON System rules, we'd probably have changed them.

Steve Long

It seems that it's the difference between people having _heard_ of you (good or bad) and what your chain of command thinks of you (good or bad)...

Perhaps they should be tracked seprately?

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

Thanks for that
    Its all soughted now and Cpt Stryker got his court martial

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

I tend to keep both positive and negative tracked.
    If someone has for example +15/-15 Aggression it would be 0 so no one would have heard of him being aggressive or calm. If he has +15/-15 someone heared he's in generall a peaceful man but if aggroed (pushed to far so to speak) he tends to overreact for example.
    I think you can display a character (and his renown) better and more complex this way. You could also say I split the renowns (aggression/calmness, discipline/initiative,...).