Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leonid Meteor Shower

SITREP

Meteor Night Watch, San Diego Region, United States of America

Arrived at my location about 0125 Morning, expecting a peak at 0215 Monday Morning. My location was the West shore of Otay Lake just east of Chula Vista. Light pollution was minimal but noticable in the southern and western horizens due to Tijuana and the new Eastlake/Otay Ranch expansions of Chula Vista.

Cloud cover was nonexisistant allowing clear visibility as far as the eyes could see. Magnitude 3 Stars could be seen with ease, with Magnitude 5 stars barely visible, if at all.

I had one other observer with me, and we were out at our location until just after 0300 Monday morning.

However, my report is a dim on. A rough estimation puts our Meteor shower count to a little over a dozen, maybe 18 at the most . . . Total. We expected the peak previously mentioned.

Overall it was an uneventful night, sad to say. Well, here's hoping I'm alive in 2099 in order to see this Meteors last show. However, that is doubtful at best.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

While not overcast (skies cleared earlier in the day), I didn't move away from city lights -- Vallejo isn't all that 'bright' yet.

Saw about 15-20 trails inside of 10 minutes, several blue-white and blue-green streaks. This was about 2AM Pacific Time.

Also had a great view of Jupiter (currently in Gemini) and Saturn (currently in Taurus).

Bob

Here in central NC, US the sky was crystal clear. Being in the country there was little to no light pollution. My father and I spotted a satellite in orbit with the naked eye. That's how clear the night was.

The meteors were fantastic. Three or four of them fizzled out right overhead - a huge, wide streak and suddenly the entire area was lit up as it burned out in one final pop. It was so close to the ground that you could see the plume of smoke that remained behind. All in all, during the hour that we were out, we saw probably two or three-hundred meteors.

I figured most would fall in the same direction, but it seems that it was entirely random in their course.

All-in-all it was a good time.

Re: SITREP

Originally posted by JALU3
    I had one other observer with me, and we were out at our location until just after 0300 Monday morning.
    Jalul, did you go out on the right night? It occurred on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

It was mostly cloudy here. I didn't see squat.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Re: Re: SITREP

Originally posted by Anomaly

Jalul, did you go out on the right night? It occurred on Saturday night/Sunday morning.
    Yes, by Monday Morning, I mean as in 0300 . . . as in, before sunrise Monday . . . so I was out there an hour and a half after midnight, the technical start of the day until three o'clock.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One