Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Infinite Realities

Cyberfederation

Two years into what the homeline calls the four years war a group of Starfleet officers and corporate magnates launched a coup against the "incompitant cowards on the council who have led us to the brink of defeat."
    What no one knew was that the Klingons were stretched to the limit and ready to snap, which is what happened in the home line.
    Here a brief civil war gave the Klingons time to regroup and the war became known in this universe as the eight years war.
    The Vulcans tried to withdraw from the Federation but the Human and Andorian coup leaders ordered their loyal forces to destroy Vulcan, thus showing the price of defiance. The destruction of Vulcan caused a number of ships to go renegade but after a brief struggle the Revolutionaries had seized power.
    This leads to a gov't slightly behind in tech level but more focused on military preparedness and patrol of "member" worlds.
    Political prisoners are forcably turned into cyborg killing machines controlled through mind control chips and rebel groups strike at the forces of the evil Federation.
    I used this universe as the basis for a campaign once and the players enjoyed the differences to a normal campaign.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

Alternate Universes

"SIR James T. Kirk?" "SIR?"

Boy... I hope they issue dramamine to the dimension hoppers!

How bout an alternate Earth where the French emerged dominant (rather than the Brits) at the end of the 17th century?
    Human culture evolved more along the French model (with English being a dead-and-dying-tongue).
    Rather than a global British Empire, the sun never sets on La Belle France (I know I mispelled that, but hey). America lost the Spanish-American war when France sided with Spain, and never gained her position in today's world.
    With the vast revenue and power of her far-flung empire, France was able to IMPOSE a solution to the tensions in Western Europe and avoided WWI. Without the blood drain caused by the war, the Russian Empire remained strong and the Bolsheviks and other Communists were crushed out of hand.
    Rather than enduring two massive world wars, and a fifty year stand-off, France was able to expand and grow through minor brush-wars in which she proved her preeminence.
    France's first space flight soon followed, and within ten years (1950's-60's, the first off-world colonies were established.
    Contact with the Vulcans was swift, followed by a United Earth government (with France as the power behind the throne). and then contact with other races.
    Distrustful of the other powers, and with growing-off world colonies, France (and therefore the Terran government) decided to limit interaction with the other powers. Without the support of the Andorians, Tellarites, and Vulcans, Terra fought a war with the Romulans to a bloody stand-still.
    Unable to win a decisive battle, Terra sued the Romulans for peace, creating a massive Neutral Zone (roughly 2.5 times the one we know).
    Smashed and stalemated as a galactic power, Terra soon joined the fledgling Federation and sent a delegation to its headquarters on Andor.
    Since that time, Terra has been known as a prime exporter of wines, cheeses, and occasionally, a Jerry Lewis film.

And for those of you who require a serpent in the Garden, I respectfully submit Mr. Dean Martin.

This sound very much like the Era after Twight 2000-AD2300 games by GDW

Re: One step further

Originally posted by C5
    This could make some interesting variation for a SliderTrek game : the existence of a United Federation of Realities, whose StarFleet equivalent doesn't like the Crew's tampering with the realities.
    And of course, this Federation could have its ennemies (I stopped watching Sliders a looong time ago, but IIRC, this idea is called Kromaggs in this show).
    Otherwise, the UFR could appear as the villains, constantly opposing the schemes of the Crew, but eventually helping them to return home.
    IOW, Gallifreyans.
    Nat Barmore
    not necessarily on behalf of
    The Impossible Dream
    http://www.tiltingatwindmills.net

Another alternate reality.

Babbage completes his Difference Engine, starting the computer age a century early. With the aid of the increased calculating power, technology moves ahead more briskly. British control over the technology in the early stages of development invigorate the Empire and lead to drastic changes in the timeline. Read "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling for background. Now fast forward to the 24th Century. A paternalistic British Empire initiated First Contact with many species, and colonised them, with all the bad and good elements of British colonialism affecting the resulting Commonwealth.

More later. Got to work.
    tmutant

Founder of the Evil Gamemasters Support Group. No, Really.

Cochraine (sp?) dies befor being able to invent the Warp Drive and Vulcan doesn't land on Earth. The Vulcans continiue their conflicts woth the Andorians and make first contact with the Bolians. The Bolians quickly manage to make the Vulcans and Andorians go to peace. Soon after the Federation is formed with the Bolians as the most important mamber. Earth developes Warp Drive (20 years later) and asks to become a member of the federation... They are denied since earth is still divided. Earth unites, starts building starships and goes to war with the Federation. A diplomat, James T. Kirk finaly manages to negotiate peace with the Federation and it's diplomat Spock of Vulcan. Soon after Earth is accepted into the Federation, but only as a minor member. James T. Kirk has been asigned as the First Officer of the USS Enterprise which is under command of Admiral Spock. 3 years after, the USS Enterprise is destroyed by the Klignons who are quite similar to "our" Klingons. Commander Kirk dies, but Admiral Spock survives. He goes to Vulcan and soon after to Romulus. The USS Enterprise-A is given to Captain Vixx, a bolian who makes first contact with the Gorn. the federation makes an alliance with the Gorn, a later on with the Klingons.

The end result is quite similar to "our" universe, but I usualy use these events in my Parallel universes.. What do you think?

Part II

The federation founds out the whereabouts of Admiral Spock ad trace him to an unknown planet. Since the Romulans led their conquest "the other way", not thowards the federation, Romulans were unknown to the Federation. Federation makes first contac with the Romulans and, thanks to Spocks influence, make an alliance with them. (Spock has managed to prove hte existence of Romulans through some ancient scripts he found on Vulcan) the Federation makes first contact with the Cardassians and imediately go to war. The Federation takes comand of a very important base strategic position, Terok Nor thanks to Captain Picard, the first Officer of the USS Enterprise-D (Captain by rank, first officer by position). The Bajorans soon join the federation and discover the Wormhole. The Dominion war starts sooner, since the Founders are afraid that if they don't attack imediately, the Federation-gorn-Klingon-Romulan alliance would be to strong. They ally themselves with the Cardassians and the Breen. A year later, the ferengi become allies of the Dominion....

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Hitler wins Second World War!

After the crushing defeat of the allied landing forces on the beaches of normandy, the Third Reich continued its reign of conquest and invaded England.

After an SS team takes out the Manhattan Project, the Third Reich becomes the first power to weild a nuclear weapon. The world soon falls to the Third Reich.

Skip forward to 2020 or so, and we find the Greater Third Reich launching ships to the Moon and to Mars. Another 50 to 100 years & interstellar travel is discovered, and using the Warp Drive, the Reich begins its conquest of outer space.

(Just an idea, it'll need some work though.)

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Third Reich Reality

I like the idea of a Third Reich Reality. It is actually one of the most logical parrallel universes. I think maybe the power of the Reich should still remain with an ascendant of Hitler, who had two children with Eva Braun. Rommel never got dismissed and remained in control of German forces throughout the war.
    In the 24th century the Third Reich is ruled with an iron fist by Siegfried Hitler and the Raumwaffe (the extension of the Luftwaffe) is being let by Generalfeidmarshall Erwin Rommel der VI. The SS still exists and behind the scenes still exterminates 'embarresing and disturbing' elements of society. The evidence of the extermination of the Jews was completely obliterated and is still one of the most guarded secrets (in fear of a revolt). Some militaristic races like the Andorians have a relatively good position within the third reich and even the Vulcans are well respected. They are still more militant that our regular Vulcans.

I was just thinking of the top of my head now and just wanted to specify the idea a little.

A Small Blue World at the end of one of the Spiral Arms of the Milky Way Galaxy.

Re: Third Reich Reality

Originally posted by Admiral Tim
    I like the idea of a Third Reich Reality. It is actually one of the most logical parrallel universes. I think maybe the power of the Reich should still remain with an ascendant of Hitler, who had two children with Eva Braun. Rommel never got dismissed and remained in control of German forces throughout the war.
    In the 24th century the Third Reich is ruled with an iron fist by Siegfried Hitler and the Raumwaffe (the extension of the Luftwaffe) is being let by Generalfeidmarshall Erwin Rommel der VI. The SS still exists and behind the scenes still exterminates 'embarresing and disturbing' elements of society. The evidence of the extermination of the Jews was completely obliterated and is still one of the most guarded secrets (in fear of a revolt). Some militaristic races like the Andorians have a relatively good position within the third reich and even the Vulcans are well respected. They are still more militant that our regular Vulcans.

I was just thinking of the top of my head now and just wanted to specify the idea a little.
    Sounds good, also, if you applied the 'supermen' tech that created Khan, there's no reason the Third Reich couldn't be producing their own Genetically Superior soldiers ('A La Dominion), and culling desirable traits from other species, while in the meantime exterminating species seen as inferior or hostile.

We could expand on this, it definitly has possibilities. (Right now i gotta get back to work though, the boss i wondering what i'm doing )

Sundowner
    Sundowner

"Sure, it will probably explode. But at least I won't be in it, on it, or near it."

Originally posted by Major Rakal
    Earth developes Warp Drive (20 years later) and asks to become a member of the federation... They are denied since earth is still divided. Earth unites, starts building starships and goes to war with the Federation. A diplomat, James T. Kirk finaly manages to negotiate peace with the Federation and it's diplomat Spock of Vulcan.
    Could there even BE a Spock in a universe where Earth is not involved with the Federation?

Spock's parents being a Vulcan AND a Human, after all...
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Originally posted by First of Two
    Could there even BE a Spock in a universe where Earth is not involved with the Federation?

Spock's parents being a Vulcan AND a Human, after all...
    :S is all I can say... Change Spock with Sarek in the story...

Let's imagine a strange alternate reality : the Vulcans who reject Surak's teachings and leave Vulcan don't land on Romulus... but instead, after a rather long trip (not helped by any wormhole), on a backward M-Class planet.... Earth.
    They soon discover that the local's lifestyle is rather consistent with their own; they ally with the various existing Empires of the time, and soon wars rage on Earth.
    After a few centuries of wars, a unity emerges, and the Terran Empire turns toward the stars. Warp drive is achieved circa 1400 (although Earth now uses a different calendar, based on the arrival of the War Leaders, as the would-be Romulans are now known) and the Empire starts to spread. Alpha Centaury is discovered in the beginning of the 16th century, and invaded soon thereafter. Vulcan probes discover the threat of the Empire as they are getting closer to them, and they prepare for war. The clash occurs in during the 1600s, and is driven to a standoff. Afterwards, the Terran Empire invades other planets, or create alliances (notably with the Andorians), while the Vulcans find allies of their own (for instance with the peaceful but tough Remans).
    This state of cold war keeps going, with skirmishes erupting on and on between the Terran Empire and the Vulcan Alliance. In the 22nd century, the Klingons discover both powers, and, after some battles with either of them, eventually ally with the Terran Empire to crush the Vulcan alliance. Soon, the Alliance is suffering setback after setback, and driven near extinction. Only the encounter of a new power, the Cardassians, who declare war to the Klingons, give the Vulcan Alliance some breathing space as the Klingons have to temporarily interrupt their alliance with the Terran Empire.
    The Vulcan Alliance then forms a temporary alliance with the Cardassians, which turns into a full-fledged one when both powers realise this in the only way to resist the Klingon-Terran Empires.
    The 24th century then sees a stand-off between the Terran Empire (led by Vulcans-Terran hybrids living on Earth) and its ally, the Klignons, against the Vulcan Alliance and its ally, the Cardassians.
    And then a wormhole is discovered near the Cardassian protectorate of Bajor, while remote outposts of both powers are destroyed by an unknown force...

Well I'm a bit dry right now but maybe this could sparkle some ideas in some minds.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5
    Let's imagine a strange alternate reality : the Vulcans who reject Surak's teachings and leave Vulcan don't land on Romulus... but instead, after a rather long trip (not helped by any wormhole), on a backward M-Class planet.... Earth.
    They soon discover that the local's lifestyle is rather consistent with their own; they ally with the various existing Empires of the time, and soon wars rage on Earth.
    After a few centuries of wars, a unity emerges, and the Terran Empire turns toward the stars. Warp drive is achieved circa 1400 (although Earth now uses a different calendar, based on the arrival of the War Leaders, as the would-be Romulans are now known) and the Empire starts to spread. Alpha Centaury is discovered in the beginning of the 16th century, and invaded soon thereafter. Vulcan probes discover the threat of the Empire as they are getting closer to them, and they prepare for war. The clash occurs in during the 1600s, and is driven to a standoff. Afterwards, the Terran Empire invades other planets, or create alliances (notably with the Andorians), while the Vulcans find allies of their own (for instance with the peaceful but tough Remans).
    This state of cold war keeps going, with skirmishes erupting on and on between the Terran Empire and the Vulcan Alliance. In the 22nd century, the Klingons discover both powers, and, after some battles with either of them, eventually ally with the Terran Empire to crush the Vulcan alliance. Soon, the Alliance is suffering setback after setback, and driven near extinction. Only the encounter of a new power, the Cardassians, who declare war to the Klingons, give the Vulcan Alliance some breathing space as the Klingons have to temporarily interrupt their alliance with the Terran Empire.
    The Vulcan Alliance then forms a temporary alliance with the Cardassians, which turns into a full-fledged one when both powers realise this in the only way to resist the Klingon-Terran Empires.
    The 24th century then sees a stand-off between the Terran Empire (led by Vulcans-Terran hybrids living on Earth) and its ally, the Klignons, against the Vulcan Alliance and its ally, the Cardassians.
    And then a wormhole is discovered near the Cardassian protectorate of Bajor, while remote outposts of both powers are destroyed by an unknown force...

Well I'm a bit dry right now but maybe this could sparkle some ideas in some minds.
    OOOOOOOhhhhh.....I like this one...this definitely has possibilities.
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

only read the first page, but should we call this ship the U.S.S. Amber or U.S.S Zelazney?
    Anyone who still uses Frames for a website should be shot.
    Does your sig area really need to be bigger then your post?