Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IRC game

When are you looking to play time and day. Any information will be useful like the area and starship starbase.
    I am jsut curious because I am interested.
    You don't have to like it, you just have to do it .
    Richard Marcinko

Originally posted by Uruz
    Sorry about the inactivity lately, folks. I've been in training for my new job in New Jersey and I haven't had reliable and/or consistent web access.

So far, my list of potentials looks like:

Zymmer
    Thierry
    Anomaly
    Sawyer?
    I will not be available on Tuesday, Friday or Saturday. Other than that, I'm game. USA Central time for me... -6 GMT I think.

Will this be pre-gen characters or roll-your-own?
    ~~~randy~~>

"Our supreme task and duty is to guard the homes of the common people from the horrors and miseries of another war." Winston Churchill, March 5, 1946

The games will be potentially on Thursday nights, at 7PM EST. I will leave character ideas and submissions to yourselves. Here's an update of what I'm looking for.

Submit up to three 200 word summaries of your character ideas. Race, general personality, rank, specialization, some interesting history tidbits. I will approve all, some, or none. The game will be run in troupe-style play.

Submit one department head or bridge officer character, rank of Lieutenant or higher. Characters may not be ranked higher than Commander, and the only position I'll accept as Commander is First Officer. The other two submissions may not be higher in rank than Lieutenant or Chief Petty Officer. Try to avoid overlaying your characters' skillsets too much. Also, one character in your submissions must be human; another of the Federation core worlds; and the last can be something "interesting" if you so desire.

Scroll back in the replies for basic setting. My email address is askrabut@hotmail.com; identify yourself by your TrekRPG.net handle as well as send your submissions. Any further questions about the setting, fire them off here and I'll try to address them.
    Uruz - Alexander Skrabut - uruzrune@gmail.com

Unhappy

I've never used IRC--just ICQ--and I'm an old FASA Trek player (I don't have any LUG rule books unfortunately). However, I'm interested. You can even give me a pre-written character.
    Cool Digital Photo
    Retouching
    http://www.abetterreality.net

To get familiar with IRC, go to www.mirc.com. mIRC is the leading IRC client for Windows. Basically, IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. Your client connects to a server, and information gets relayed back and forth between servers to facilitate a (usually) seamless chat.

If you're interested, Eric, you can come up with three concepts like how I outlined in a previous post, and email them to me, if you like.

I would be interested too, however it seems you have your five players, can you squeeze me in?

Normally, I won't be available on weekends, except for the odd occasion.

Well, so far only one person has emailed me even the barest bones of character concepts, so, in fact, if you sent me something, you'd only be #2.

It would be Thursday nights, starting around 6 or 7 PM EST... very rarely would I run something on a weekend.

Well, so far only one person has emailed me even the barest bones of character concepts, so, in fact, if you sent me something, you'd only be #2.
    I'm working on them. Got the stats made up, working on the backgrounds now. In between family/holiday visits...
    ~~~randy~~>

"Our supreme task and duty is to guard the homes of the common people from the horrors and miseries of another war." Winston Churchill, March 5, 1946

What date are you looking to actually start and what type of campaign so I can work on a character. I was thinking of a Rapid Response Pilot with 1 tour under his belt who is 1/4 vulcan and 3/4 human.
    You don't have to like it, you just have to do it .
    Richard Marcinko

I'm ready to start whenever my players get their act together and submit characters to me.

Thierry, that's just fine, but you will need to submit more than one character concept to me as we'll be running troupe style. Not every Trek episode is suitable for every character, and a Rapid Response Pilot won't be usable in, say, an episode revolving around a medical epidemic.

Rather than keep you waiting, I don't have the time right now, so I will have to stay out. But if I have a free night I would like to come and watch if that would be allowed?
    Captain Zymmer
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations...

... we'll be running troupe style...
    Please define "troupe style".
    ~~~randy~~>

Zymmer: That's no problem. You, and anyone else, is more than welcome to drop by when we're playing, just to watch.

Sawyer: Troupe play is when each player has two or three characters of varying fields and ranks, so that during certain episodes when one of your characters is especially suitable, but the others may not, you can switch characters. Also, you can switch characters mid-episode if the story (and GM, me) allows for it.

XP you earn will apply to the character you use during the episode. If you use multiple characters (and do it well) the XP you earn will likely be increased by one, and you can split the XP any way you wish to both characters.

Update

So far, I've only received submissions from one person. That person is working on a First Officer type as one of his characters. I won't accept any character based on first-come first-serve; rather, two of the three characters you submit I will accept based on quality and uniqueness of the background.

Some notes for writing up your sheets:

1) I use the old hardcover rules for Promotion. Cumulative:
    +1 Lieutenant, JG
    +2 Lieutenant
    +3 Lieutenant Commander
    +4 Commander
    Thus, a Commander would require Promotion +10.

2) Home-brew Overlays
    I have no problem if you use home-brew Overlays for your characters, just as long as you submit the Overlays for me to examine. I also have no problem with you desigining characters via points rather than Overlays; just do your bookkeeping and show what is purchased during each section. IE, points need to balance up to 10 for your First Tour, 8 points for Academy Life, etc.

3) Number of Tours
    The only Promotion I'll allow without any additional Tours is Lieutenant JG. If you want to have a higher rank, you'll need additional Tours. Be reasonable; The average length of a Tour is 4 years. If you have 4 Tours of 2 years at 5 points each, that's a little unbalancing for another character that takes 3 Tours totalling 18 years. Be fair, be nice, and have background explanations, and everything should be okay.

4) Advantages and Disadvantages
    Like I said earlier, as long as your math adds up from Overlay to Overlay, you can go nuts. Just keep them to a sane minimum.

Any other questions, feel free to ask here, or drop me an email.

other books

I take it, that using skills, from the player's guide are acceptable?