Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starfleet Slang Dictionary

Box Kicker: Someone working in the cargo bay
    *LOL* There for a second, I thought you typed "Kick Boxer", which made it even more funny.

Pulling a Picasso: Blowing it on using the transporter
    That one's funny, but I hope no one ever uses that phrase very soon after said accident in front of the poor chump who screwed up.

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Originally posted by Dave Biggins:
    Pulling a Picasso: Blowing it on using the transporter
    Remind me to not be on the phone to a customer the next time I read this...I had to very quickly supress a burst of laughter.

------------------
    In spite of the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?

Lunar Schooner: Citizen of Luna (the moon)
    Derogatory:
    Turtlehead: Klingon
    Jackrabbit: Vulcanoid

Big "E"- the Enterprise

Phaser fodder: Security Officers/Ground Troops

Vultures: D7 Klingon/Romulan Cruiser

Heater: Iotian term for Weapon

Teep: Telepath
    Teek: Telekinetic
    Soul Reader, Emp: empath
    Burster/Burner: Pyro/thermo kinetic

------------------
    "Mission? what mission?"
    "Save the galaxy."
    "AGAIN?!?!?!?!"

Picked up in various and sundry unofficial areas:

"Firing photons" - Engaging in regurgitation.

"Cataloguing gaseous anomalies" - Engaging in flatulent behavior.

"Vulcanize" - To make something needlessly complex.

"Blue Flu" - Andorian version of 'the common cold'

"Smuush" - to be seriously injured by large debris during a starship battle.

"The kettle's boiling" - Explicit Orion come-on.

"Frazzed" - Broken, esp if sparking or throwing off electrical jolts.

"Scotted" - adjective used to describe an object, put together using disparate components totally unsuited for the purpose, which is still effectively functional.

"NPC" - (unknown origin) - someone who knows more about what's going on than you do, but who won't tell you.

------------------
    "Guchk *Cough* muu ougtgha hrrgh!" -- Cmdr. An-tule Lemayan, USS Boadicea
    "I'd have to say that's the worst case of smuush I've ever seen." -- Dr. Sonachai Smith, CMO, USS Boadicea

Talking

1st of 2 ( ):
    Vucanized was part of the ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation-Officer’s Manual’ that Fasa put looong ago.
    (Same one that Arsenic Man spoke of.)
    Here’s another one I remember from that book:
    CC: short for ‘computer cranium’. An individual who is leaning towards ‘logic’, and has huge amount of facts, knowledge, and information. Usually refers to Vulcans, but any one/thing that ‘fits’ the description (androids, EMHs, and so on.)

Here’s a few I’m working on (all pertain to Next Gen. and after) :
    Gold Standard: Chief of Operations, Engineering, or Security (what Starfleet hopes every junior officer looks up to to aspire to be).
    Gold Bricker: An individual from one of the above branches, whom could be described as ‘non-attentive’ (at best).
    Gold Medal: An individual from one of the above branches, whom can be described as ‘above-and-beyond’ or ‘the-best-of-the-best’.
    Gold Card: The device used by Security (and other branches) to do a manual security override of doors and hatches (the gizmo Picard used in ‘Starship Mine’)

Red Faced: An individual that receives a promotion to a ‘Command’ position (complete with Red uniform).
    Red Carded: A hearing/court martial brought about by a person making a bad command decision. (Most likely the person is from Command, hence the term.)

Blue Cross: Doctors, Nurses, Field Medic, and so on
    Blue Shield: EMHs (called this because of the fact they can block energy beams unharmed, and make a barrier between a victim and an attacker).

------------------
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Smile

ACADEMY

"Ordering Replicator Chunks" -- Projectile vomiting.

"Red Squirrel" -- Derogatory reference to a Red Squadron cadet, particularly one who scurries about to score points with instructors/officers.

"Red Squid" -- Derogatory reference to Red Squadron.

"Mating with an EPS Power Tap" -- Any dangerous or risky behavior that results (generally) in you being severely hurt. Also ill-advised promiscuous behavior.

"Had their chips shuffled." -- Someone who has facts or procedures backwards, as with a computer whose isolinear chips have been improperly slotted.

STARFLEET

"Pulling a Bozeman" -- to become engaged in unnecessary, repetitive activity. Usually implies incompetence at the task required.

"X-Uh-Oh" -- Drawing the attention of the Executive Officer (XO) in a bad way.

"Ask Mom/Dad" -- Shopping for a superior officer to approve your request. (Mom said no, ask Dad.)

"Seagull Officer" -- An officer who flies in, makes a lot of noise, and craps all over things, then leaves. Adapted from 20th Century slang.

... more to come (maybe)

SF slang...

Fungi, Trolls - Ferengi.

Dommies - Dominion forces as a whole, the dominion as a whole.

Jemmies - Jem'Hedar.

"Pulling a Challenger" - losing a ship in battle due to an EXTREMELY stupid mistake. (not raising shields, for example. Don't ask me how, but it happened. Methinks that name was a bad omen anyway.)

STC - "Share the crack". Obviously,used to respond to a really stupid idea.

"Gax-ism" - a fictitous disease causing the loss of consecutive ships under one's command, often 1-person fighters. Refers to an (in)famous SF officer, now retired and governing an independent planet. He hasn't lost ships since he left SF, BTW.:-)

Lemmingness - suicide assignment. eg, "Man, we were infected with Lemmingness."

Smile

Dunno - both 'pulling a Picasso' and 'pulling a Challenger' strike me as being a little on the crude side.

For a transporter accident, perhaps something like 'Make sure they have Picasso mode turned off ...'

And considering the Challenger accident had nothing to do with the crew (AND it was a fairly dark day in the history of the space program) ... perhaps something more oriented towards the REMF's who decided to launch that day would work ...?

I agree with Robert Lai on the "Pulling a Challenger" reference. In fact, I find it a rather offensive phrase. As Moderator, I'd like to ask people to use a little taste here.

Owen E Oulton, CoModerator

Now without the Moderator hat on, I have to wonder about the Trekkishness of several proposed slang terms here. Many are just out of place - "teep" and "teek," for instance, work fine in their original milieu (Babylon 5), but there's no real evidence of such prejudice against psionic types in Trek. And "Share the crack?" Pretty 1990's inner-city US... I somehow doubt that crack jokes are going to be relevant in a 24<sup>th</sup> century context.

*stepping onto the soapbox*

I haven't checked this particular thread in some time, but after reading the Challenger comment, I have to say that is the first time that I've ever felt insulted following the reading of a post.

As someone who can recall exactly where he was, and what he was doing when the Challenger disaster occured, and seeing the tears in the faces of those around me, as well as shedding more than a few myself, I would like to think that no one would mock such a tragic occurance. This was a disaster for all of us, but for those of us who dreamed in our youth (and still dream today) of space, adventure, and the sense of "frontiersmanship" that Astronauts feel, this was far worse, as fellow dreamers were snatched away from us, and from their loved ones.

Personally, I'm taking the comment as something said out of place, and without proper thought...and I very much hope that I am right.

*stepping off of the soapbox*

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

I didn't pay too much attention to the Challenger reference...but I agree with the hope that it was done without malice or forethought.

As for the "Pulling a Picasso"...I can see that it would be used mainly by cadets in simulations, during transporter operations training. I doubt that it would be used by serving officers when a real accident occurs.

------------------
    Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?

I don't think there's anything to be gained by harping on Penta for one slip-up. He's new here - let's not drive him away. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to come up with relevant slang and didn't mean to offend anyone. Let's just carry on with the topic at hand, shall we?

Here's a few I use...

HoloDoc noun - EMH (short for Holographic Doctor)
    Holodiction noun - holodeck addiction (informal)
    Points noun - unflattering term for a Vulcan
    On reserve power expression - in a state of exhaustion
    Body double noun - holodeck equivalent to today's "Celebrity Fake" internet images, usually depicting the subject in the nude (Barclay's "Goddess of Empathy" image is a canon [but non-nude] example)
    Artificial stupidity noun - primitive computer technology

My first reading of the "Challenger" reference made me think that Penta narrated a game where the ship USS Challenger may have been destroyed in combat through not raising it's shields, hence the "I don't know how it happened but it did" line.

This is reinforced in my mind by the reference to the name being doomed. I doubt he meant any dis-respect to the killed astronauts. Mind you, the poor bugger is probably still trying to dig a big enough hole to hide in after the storm his comments created.

Perhaps "pulling an Enterprise" for losing a couple of ships with the same name?

------------------
    "You couldn't even SPELL Prime Directive!"
    "Not true. It's spelt P-H-A-S-E-R."

Indeed, I *was* hiding. Sorry folks. No disrespect meant to the astronauts. The thought that it was a bad omen was related to naming....Kinda like naming a freighter Titanic and then watching it die via asteroid impact in-game, the manner in which this particular RPed starship blew up (due to a malfunction to the warp drive caused by, yes, not raising shields and getting hit)was very eerily like how the real Challenger was lost. And, yes, the comment comes from an in-game occurrance....one that I still get picked on for.

I love millitary slang and i thought one a day from me would just do it.

GlowPig: from the early days of the fed, Engineers who worked near the early Reactors. recently changed to engineers who have had to drop a warp core because of a breach. i.e. Ensign Bob became a GlowPig on the Entrepise , that thing in the briar batch last year.

------------------
    "Seatbelts?!?! Why would we need those on a starship?" Starfleet's first bridge designer

[This message has been edited by warmon4 (edited 01-11-2001).]