Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Starfleet Slang Dictionary

Talking Son of Star Fleet Slang: The Return

Leaky Vac Suit (2250s-present)-to be unprepared ("He just ran off in a leaky vac suit, like always. Didn't bother to take any rations or even a tricorder.")

Suck Vacuum-To die in deep space

Slime Time (2150s-2210)-An enforced stay in a decontamination facility. ("Oh, great. Since we scanned positive for biohazards, it looks like we got some slime time coming.")

Tin Man (2370's-on)- Derogatory term for androids and
    EMHs. The term also Also refers to any officer or
    or NCO considered too narrow or inflexible in his
    or her thinking. ("You know, you've become a real tin man.")

Chair Jockey (2370s-on) -Derogatory term for any field
    officer who spends an excessive amount of time in
    his or her office. This term also refers to
    any officer or NCO considered "past it" or lacking initiative. ("I heard that he's a real chair jockey, lieutenant.")

Suicide Sled-( 2250s-present )-Pilot's term for an untested
    fighter, shuttlecraft, or bomber.("I am never plunking my rear into another suicide sled again.")

God Himself-(Early 20 th century)-Commander, Starfleet.
    This is the direct descendant of the term used by
    seamen to refer to the ranking admiral. ("Shape it up! God Himself is inspecting us as soon as we hit Spacedock.")

Gunny ( 18th century)-Gunnery sergeant, usually the
    ranking Marine NCO on a starship or base.

Frell-(2150s-present)-An Orionese word for another word nice Starfleet people don't use (at least not on this board, anyway. )
    More common in the Triangle and border posts . ("Ah, frell the whole thing!")

FUBAR-Frelled Up Beyond All Recognition (the direct descendant of the term used in WWII on Earth).
    ("If we don't get some help soon, this whole mission is going to be FUBARed.")[B][B]

Last edited by whoami; 10-12-2002 at 11:17 AM.
    Rick

"I'm a soldier, not a diplomat. I can only tell you the truth."

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Cool Son of Star Fleet Slang (CONTINUED)

Backstabber(2285-on)-Pejorative term for the Klingon
    levekh (three bladed dager),
    referring to the infamous murder of Dr David Marcus
    on Genesis. This term also refers to Klingons in
    general. Fell out of favor until the 2380s, when
    strained relations with the Klingons over several
    border raids caused the term's resurgence.

Doc in a Box (2380s) -Refers to an EMH.

Hug Junkie-(2360s) Ship's counsellor. Also a derogatory
    term for Betazoids.

Bo'sun-A term dating to the early days of sail,
    referring to the most senior enlisted man on board
    a starship.

French Kiss(2380s)-Talk a problem to death.
    Last edited by whoami; 10-12-2002 at 11:15 AM.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Red face Starfleet Slang, part three

Air Boy-Starfleet Marines term for any pilot or helmsman
    ("Yeah, I'm in your way! Whaddaya gonna do about it, airboy?)

Gravel Scratcher-Pilots' and Helmsmen's term for
    Starfleet Marines. ("Don't start something you can't finish, gravel scratcher!")

The Center Seat-Captain's chair on the bridge or auxilliary bridge ("One of these days, I'll get to the center seat, just you wait and see.")

Klingon Bait (2170s)-any base or installation with civillians aboard.
    By the Dominion War, the term Jimy Bait referred to any base or starship with civillians aboard. ("That ship is real Jimy bait.")

Rommie-A term referring to any Romulan or person suspected of having Romulan ancestory or loyalties. This term first came to light in 2281, when it was used by detractors of Cadet Saavik ("Look, Rommie, you wouldn't even have been admitted if he hadn't sponsored you.")

Walk the 'Lock-to deliberately eject a person though the airlock. To space someone. ("I heard those raiders made some civvie walk the 'lock.")

Triangle Trash-A human pejorative referring to persons from the Triangle. The term also refers more generally (among the social elite) to any person of rough or socially undesireable status. ( "Sorry Admiral, but your staff thought it best not to admit that sort of Triangle Trash to this gathering, being as we're at such a delicate stage of negotiations.")

Ripe for Reconditioning-Certifiable. Insane.
    Last edited by whoami; 10-12-2002 at 09:48 AM.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Re: Son of Star Fleet Slang (CONTINUED)

Paint Your Face Plate-To throw up while wearing a helmet or sealed vacuum suit (understandably, not a desireable outcome). Refers to spacesickness or someone deemed green or raw. ("Don't feel so bad. kid. Everybody paints his faceplate at least once.")

Punch it (2150s)-To accelerate/go to full warp/impulse speed ("Punch it, Lieutenant!")

Scrambled Eggs-The victim of transporter malfunction
    (eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww...........................)

Last edited by whoami; 10-17-2002 at 10:12 AM.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

More Slang

Lady Lex a/o Blue Ghost- nickname of the USS Lexington, particularly used by those who served aboard her. Originates with the original carriers during WWII and from our Lexington's adventures along the Romulan Nuetral Zone.

Indy- nickname of any of the starships Indefatigable, Independence, or Indianapolis

Teddy Ruxpin or The Big Stick- nicknames (derogatory and preferred, respectively) of the USS Theodore Roosevelt.

Jeffries Jockey- an engineer, particularly one who works in small access areas, such as Jeffries tubes.

Ten-Forward- the main lounge for ship's personnel, which often doubles as chapel, library, breifing room and dancehall and smaller vessels.

Sliders a/o Rollers - nicknames for Terran foods such as hamburgers or hotdogs, particularly when they come from the replicators or have no resemblance to the real thing.

Glow-bulb- Derogatory slang originally applied to the Organians after the first imposition of the Organian Treaty upon the Federation and the Klingon Empire. Now applied to any overzealous do-gooder.

The following definitions were stolen from a novel on Navy search and rescue ops in Vietnam. I cannot recall the name of the novel, nor the author's name, but the slang was widely used in the fleet. It was a great novel, too.

Dog- Alledgedly, soft ice cream, especially when served from a replicator. Named for the original semi-solid compound you were careful not to get on your shoes.

Adult Day Care Center- the bridge, flag bridge of a starship, or the operations center of a starbase where the Admiralty and other senior staff are kept during the day. Often abbreviated ADCC.

Mark One Mod Zero sensors- RRT/Marine sland for eyes. "Clancy's on the hill using his Mark One Mod Zeroes to watch for Jem'Hadar troops."

Snipe- An engineer, provenance of the name unknown.

Head Shed - Senior officers (Ground forces slang) "Oh, joy. NOW what've the Head Shed got us doing?"
    LPC - Leather Personnel Carrier - Footwear, normally combat boots. "Sorry, lads. The shuttle's FUBAR'd, so we're travelling by LPC"
    CP - Command Post (a well defended location, normally)
    Zoomie (noun) - Pilot, normally referred to by ground forces; "WE'RE IN! GET US MOVING, ZOOMIE!"
    Bucket of Instant Sunshine (expression) - A photorp used inside an atmosphere; "The Jemmies were so damned tough a CP, we had to call for a bucket of instant sunshine; it was the only way to neutralise them. Worked, too - all that was left was a hole in the ground".
    Slag it (phrase) - To reduce something to a slag of molten (whatever), normally by phaser fire at maximum setting. "Sarge! The damn door's stuck!" "So slag it, then."

Best Regards,
    Roger Stenning
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk

Tough Mother - Originally a derogative statement for Ground Forces Drill Sergeants, this has become a nick name for many Rapid Responce and Special Forces officers. It usually refers to someone who is hard (harder than normal in Starfleet) on his/her men, but never leaves someone behind (in the field or otherwise); "I'm the first one in and I'm the last one out, y'hear?!"
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Champaign bottle - safety equipment for shuttle crash landing. Refers to our helmsman who's successful landings were... erm... kind of few. "Take a shuttle, sufficient weapons, and don't forget to bring a champaign bottle along".

Clothes on - term used by our security officer, referring to a full weapon complement, for dangerous environment. "I beam down - with my clothes on" or "Hey, lieutenant, please bring reinforcements - see that they don't come naked or course".

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Expanded Spacecraft Operations, a 100+ page sourcebook for CODA Trek

HollowDick - The male lead in an erotic holonovel....
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Thumbs up I'm so happy...

Seeing this tread...alive...and well...I'm gonna need a moment...deep breath...*sigh*

Here's some I just came up with:

‘Grey Area’: When an operation is handed or taken over by Starfleet Intelligence (SFI), and all information goes into a ‘need to know’ basis. (“This is a ‘Grey Area’, restricted to approved personnel; all information, need to know…” “I need to know…” “No you don’t…”)

‘Out/in from the cold…’: A former SFI agent, whom has ‘gone legit,’ and gotten (more likely transferred to) a job in engineering, operations, command, or any other position they qualify for. (“He’s one of our best scientists, and they say he came ‘out from the cold’.”)

‘Cloud-Skimmer’: A shuttle, runabout, or other trans-atmospheric craft pilot. (“Gerrard’s the best Cloud-Skimmer I’ve seen.”)

‘Jaw-dropper/Jaw-braker’: One so proficient at hand-to-hand combat, they can literally brake an opponent’s mouth/jaw with one focused punch/kick/weapon-strike. Term is also used for weapons of a similar nature (rifle butts, staffs, clubs, and so on)

‘Time Keepers’: Dept. of Temporal Investigations agents.

‘Fishbowl’: Either/or:
    a) the area of a ship where the ‘Cetacean Ops’ (whales and dolphins and navigation...oh, my) tank is.
    b) Stellar Cartography: given the shape of the room, spherical.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Greetings,
    My two Federation Credits to the discussion …

I have a player who has take a role of somewhat relaxed chief of engineering, he insists on using the following slang.

* Kennel – main security office
    * Dogs - security personnel
    * The Pit – main engineering

Also, the captain of Courageous is sometimes known to be using chess situations and compare them to the real life scenario. Hence some of her friends from the task force (mostly captains and command officers) named her the Black Queen.

* Black Queen – nickname for Starfleet Female Command Officer (generally reserved to officers who are quite capable of taking care of themselves in all situations and are not afraid of getting involved in the fight)

Black for the fact that they never attack first (as Starfleet and Federation official policy states to never attack but to defend ... and the fact that in chess white are the invaders) and Queen because she/they generally kicks ass, take numbers and so on…

Then there are:

* The King is usually reserved for the Flag officers (admirals) as they do very little on the board and yet are the most important piece.

* Pulling of the Knight Manoeuvre – refers to the fact that knight (or a horse as it is called by some) is capable of threaten two or more pieces on the board without the worry of retaliation – refers to a very clever manoeuvre that leaves very little choice to the enemy.

Stepping away from the board we use:

* 3U – Unseen Unofficial Unknown, top secret operation sanctioned by Starfleet Intelligence

* Red Ash – term used to name command officers who have failed at their posts for being unable to make the ‘executive decision’ when faced with difficult situation they were unable to ‘make the call’ and hence got burned.

I might post more when I remember them …

Kind Regards
    Daniel
    Last edited by Polanski; 10-16-2002 at 11:42 PM.
    Captain Alexandra Polanski
    CO, USS Archangel (flag of 7th Fleet, RRTF operations)

Pullin' a Spock - any time a crewmember thought to be deceased turns out to be OK.

The Mighty Belch - slang for the Riker Maneuver or any other procedure requiring a backflush of the ramscoops.

Spending too much time in the holodeck - used to refer to someone who's a tad out of touch with reality.

Ridge Envy - Used to refer to members of more martial Federation species (ie: Andorians) who are trying very hard to seem as fierce as a Klingon.
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

starfleet slang

Pregnant Guppy- A derogatory term for the original USS Excelsior. Later, the term came into wider usage, referring to the entire class. ("We only have to hold out another hour, lads! A pregnant guppy is coming to extract us.")

Harriman's Folly-Referring, originally, to the decision by Admiral John Harriman, Sr., to rush the Enterprise-B into service ahead of schedule, the term immediately came to mean the ill-fated battleship's disastrous maiden voyage and dogged the ship and her CO for the rest of their lives.

Mixed Blessings-A term referring to the practice of issuing phaser II to security personnel assigned to landing party duty and of issuing phaser I to everyone else.

Section Eight -Dating back to the 20th century, the term refers to the practice of discharging Starfleet personnel on the basis of psychiatric unfitness. The term also refers to those people deemed "not quite right in the head". ("Better watch out, chum. I hear Barclay is a real section eight.")

Spam in a Can -A term used primarily by ground forces to refer to anyone doing high risk flying. ("I'd rather be wearing out shoe leather any day than end up as spam in a can.") The term also refers to graphic results of a transporter malfunction.

Blue Fleet -Refers to those starfleet vessels crewed exclusively by Andorians and assigned to service in their home sector. Also refers to any spacer deemed especially gung-ho. ("Better toe the line. I hear our new CO is real blue fleet.")

Murphy's Third Law -(In one form or another, this gem predates spacetravel) "If you want to screw things up, call in a diplomat. If you really want things screwed up, call in Starfleet Intelligence."

Frell/**** Up -Fighter pilot's terminology, meaning to fail a mission because he's lost his "edge" (e.g., That indefinable element that makes pilots believe they're a notch above ordinary mortals.)

Screw the Pooch -Fighter pilot's terminology, meaning to fail a mission and lose one's ship in the process, reflecting an even greater loss of face among pilots. ("I don't care what the rest say, we know he screwed the pooch.")

Last edited by whoami; 10-17-2002 at 11:43 AM.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Hey, whoami

Have you been watching The Right Stuff lately?

"Who's the best starship captain you ever saw?"
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1