Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Starfleet Slang Dictionary

That's easy ... look below
    Edit: At my signature ... not the below post
    Last edited by Polanski; 10-17-2002 at 09:43 PM.
    Captain Alexandra Polanski
    CO, USS Archangel (flag of 7th Fleet, RRTF operations)

You betcha!

After all, we've had hotshots of one kind or another ever since we invented adventure. I kinda like the idea of a pilot subculture persisting

My own movie-era captain started his professional life as a-you guessed it-test pilot at New Edwards Aerospace Testing Facility.

And they even had a Pancho's Bar *snirk*

In his first major battle as a starship captain, he muttered, "Dear lord, please don't let me f**k up."

He didn't have to look over at his Vulcan communications officer and old friend. He could
    feel her eyebrow go up. (Naturally, being an aviator, he did, of course, win out.)

heeheehee
    Last edited by whoami; 10-17-2002 at 09:36 PM.
    Rick

"I'm a soldier, not a diplomat. I can only tell you the truth."

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Talking The 23rd Century Right Stuff

"Starfleet Marines only have pilots. WE have aviators. One aviator is worth ten pilots." -Starfleet fighter pilot saying

One-Point-Two Club -The metric equivalent of the Mile High Club. The rest of the details are self-explanatory.

Ace -A pilot or helmsman with five documented ship to ship kills. Most aces have many more undocumented kills as a point of pride.

Paint the flight deck red -To really mess up a landing. Big time.
    Last edited by whoami; 10-17-2002 at 09:10 PM.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Another one!

Push the Envelope- To break new ground, to advance the boundaries of knowledge or otherwise generally do what nobody else has ever done.
    Invented by test pilots in the mid twentieth century, but now used by pretty much everyone (though any pilot worth his salt will let you know just who invented the phrase).

Punch Out- To abandon ship or eject.

Hamster in a Thermo-Unit- Another fairly graphic description of victims of a transporter malfunction, purportedly invented in 2271 upon the deaths of Vice Admiral Lori Ciana and Commander Sonak aboard the Enterprise.

"Who's the best starship captain I ever saw? Well, you're lookin' at him."
    Last edited by whoami; 10-17-2002 at 09:28 PM.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Cool Even righter stuff

Nose Mounted Diplomacy -term given to bow mounted canon on fighters and other interdiction craft.

The Demon- Mythical being that tries to prevent you from Pushing the Envelope. The term was invented by test pilots in the mid twentieth century and is still popular among engineers.

Liquid Crewman- Yet another term for the results of a transporter accident. Also a derogatory term for any green crewman who looses his nerve in a pinch, often in a particularly embarassing way.

Embalming Fluid- Starfleet coffee, referring to taste which, despite the quality of the replicator, never seems to come up to snuff.

Sponge and Spatula Squad- -Term referring to rescue people assigned to starships' hangar decks and other landing facilities.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Cochran, Georgia, USA, Sol III, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way Galaxy
    Along with all of the other military slang that most of us know or have heard, here , I hope, are some new ones.

SOS= Slop On a Shingle, a tasty concoction of gravy and spicey sausage and served on two perfectly toasted slices of bread... yeah, right

Phaser Bait= Someone or something that will definitely die.

Photorp Magnet= A large starship or starbase. Any big, fat, juicey target.

Vaped= Shot by a phaser set on level 8 or to die in a particularly spectacular way.

Crispy Critter= Shot by a phaser set on level 6

Knocking on the Roof= Orbital bombardment, usually on a target's shields.

Hockey Puck or Puck= A hovertank.

Mudfoot, Groundpounder, grunt= Infantryman

Warp out= get out of an area in a BIG hurry.

Standback= Artillery

Slap= Artillery barrage. i.e. a light barrage is a light slap, a heavy barrage is a hard slap.

Blip or Bogey= something undetermined on sensors.

See the Light= Hit with orbital phaser fire.

Thumper= Isomagnetic Disintegrator

Ghost= Sniper

Green= clear, safe

light fight= combat with energy weapons

tattle= give away position to enemy

organic sensors= eyes and ears
    "Retreat?! Hell, we just got here!", annonymous American Marine, WWI

"Gravity is a harsh mistress....", The Tick

Still more…

‘Brass-Kicked’: Officer(s) (usually ‘Flag’ level) exposed and arrested on a severe crime/crimes (most likely conspiracy and/or treason). Two other terms derived from this:
    ‘Brass-Kicking’: The act of exposing and arresting the officer(s), and
    ‘Brass-Kickers’: The SF (and/or other) personnel responsible for the exposure and arrest(s), and the prosecuting JAG officer(s) at the hearings/court-martials.

‘Sledgehammer(s)’: Individuals who do not use tact or diplomacy to handle situations; usually using the direct ‘hands-on’ approach.

‘S.3.1.’: Section 31, or any secret intelligence service whom aren’t “official”

‘Sloned’: Finding out (usually ‘post-incident’) that an individual working on an investigation is actually a covert op for ‘S.3.1.’ or similar (esp. if the individual is ‘not on record anywhere’). (“Well people…we’ve been Sloned…”)

‘Stellar Body’: An individual (usually of opposite gender) whom is attractive in appearance. (Mostly heard at SF Academy, but some ‘older’ officers still use the term…)

‘Swim with the Fishes’: To spend time in ‘Cetacean Ops’. (It should and must be noted, individuals usually get away with the term once, before being reminded about Dolphins & Whales = Mammals thing…usually by said creatures)

‘Anomalous Reading’: When an individual make little or no sense.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

So, what you are saying is that "Swim with the Fishes" is an "Anomalous Reading?"

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Level One Diagnostic- Security Slang, referring to a full-scale sensor, strip and cavity search.

The Brain Trust- Ship's science department ("Well, the brain trust says it'll work, so let's test it out.")

Klingon Lullabye-To be stabbed or shot in the back. This slang was most popular during the Four Years War.

Popgun(s)- 1) Weapons that are grossly outmatched. (Forget it! Our Phaser Twos'll slaughter those popguns of theirs.")
    2) Officers who almost never take the hands on/direct approach and seldom go on landing party detail. Also refers to anyone who is "all talk, no action" (originally a groundforces insult often directed at anyone who was not groundforces)

Worship the Great Bird of the Galaxy- Get thoroughly, violently, and enthusiastically spacesick. Usually used in reference to shoreleave.

Dunsel- (from the root "downed sail") -An object or device that serves no useful purpose.

Go Through the Blender- Academy slang for a trainee's first trip through a transporter

The Show- Combat, a sortie (initially fighter pilot slang, now favored by helmsmen)

Liquid Supernova- Engine room hooch, so named because it is often brewed in stills heated by the main energizers

Last edited by whoami; 10-18-2002 at 09:54 AM.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Vomet Comet - A term used to refer to any craft used for an assualt ground force landing. Most popular in the 2150-2290 period. The term was used to refer to both the shakiness and speed of early landing craft and then after to a beings natural reaction to throw up when nerves reach a certain level of tension biologically.

All right Colonel, send in your Vomet comets"

The Hot Seat -A cadet's first Kobatashi Maru test

Picard-Baby- (2365-69-complement)-Academy slang-cadet reknown for seeking nonviolent solutions to all problems, or for being suave, or both. (2370s-on-Derogatory) Cadet unable to maintain his/her position in the Academy (and SF) without the aid/intervention of a famous relative or benefactor (hence the famous name attached). A cadet perceived by his fellows as being "all talk"/lacking initiative (purportedly first used in this context by Starfleet Marine trainees during the the Dominion War)

Death From Within- -(dates back to the 20th century) concentrated rations

Worth a Ferengi's Promise- (2360-on) Untrustworthy/completely worthless

The Sunshine Boys- Section 31 or the dirty tricks section of Starfleet Intelligence, take your pick.

Take an Unscheduled Nap-(2250s-) Get shot by a phaser set on stun. (according to Academy legend, this was purportedly coined by Jonathan Archer himself)
    Last edited by whoami; 10-18-2002 at 02:23 PM.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"

Talking Some Slang from the old FASA ST:TNG Officers' Manual (which I own)

ANDOR TOAST (NOUN)-Refers to any foul tasting or otherwise inedible food...usually used in reference to survival rations.
    AXANAR (ADJ.)-A singular waste of effort. Of Klingon origin.
    BABEL (NOUN)-A group of merry makers
    CC (NOUN)-"Computerized Crainium"-derogatory term for an annoyingly intelligent person.
    CRASH AND BURN (EXPR.)-To fail an exam.
    DC (NOUN)-"Damage Control"-A cadet's attempts to cover up a blatant error before anyone finds out about it.
    DIODE FAILURE (EXPR.)-Mental exhaustion from work or study.
    MISTHEAD (NOUN)-A person with no real conception of reality e.g. a Starfleet midshipman.
    MURDER MILE (NOUN)-The Starfleet academy obstacle course.
    ORION (NOUN)-An underhanded and decietful action (VERB) to carry out such an action.
    POWER DOWN (VERB)-To relax off duty.
    SNOWHEAD (NOUN)-An Andorian.
    TOOL UP (VERB)-To study or prepare for an exercise.
    TRIBBLE (NOUN)-Anyone with a weight problem.
    VULCANIZED (ADJ.)-Something that has been made more complex or intricate than necessary.
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

The Almighty (noun) - Sarcastic reference to Starfleet Command. ie: "And just what kind of mission have the 'all mighty' handed down to us today?"

Coffee Factor (adj) - Determines the strenght and cafeination of the coffee. Started by the engineers of the USS Atlantis. Coffee factor matches warp factor, 1-9 being considered the human tolerable range. Transwarp, is said to melt the mug.

Smile Some more…

Hey Double-H, I think some of those showwed up before (I also have the same book)

A few more originals:

‘Golf Course’: To do a multiple bombardment (either orbitally, or other methods) ‘around’ a targeted area intentionally, in a ‘warning-shot’ manner. (“Let’s give’em a golf course…”)

‘Parking Lot’: To do a multiple bombardment (again, as above) directly into an intended target, and level it. (“Let’s give’em a parking lot…”)

‘G.R.U.N.T.’ (General Recruit Unfit [for] Naval Training): Term (derogatory) for ground SF personnel (R.R.T., or Marines), by SF space personnel. (“Move it ‘Grunt’…”)

‘P-Card’: Term for someone using their credentials, contacts, favors, etc. to access places/talk to people, that they normally wouldn’t/couldn’t. (“I’ll have to use a ‘P-Card’ to get in there…”)

‘K-irk’: To bug the hell out of someone by arguing both emotionally and logically a point, whilst also bring up examples of ‘Ancient Earth’, and how we…overcame, we…evolved; we had too, we…have too…

‘Pressure Cooker’: The intermix chamber on a warp core. Also called: ‘Crock Pot’, ‘Boiler’, ‘Double Boiler’, ‘Teapot’, ‘Kettle’, and ‘Furnace’…among others. (“Gas is coming from the ‘pressure cooker’…that’s not good…”)

‘Toothpaste’: Derogatory term for Andorian Engineers (Blue and found in tubes)

‘Made-Man’: A humanoid artificial life-form (android, robot, hologram, or other).

‘Gas Station Attendant’: Science Officer in charge of study of nebulas and like.
    ...and that's about the time it hit the fan...

Truisms I know:
    1) Marvel is NOT better than DC (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘ULTIMITED’),
    2) D20 is NOT the best gaming system out there (nor should EVERYTHING be ‘crammed’ into it),
    3) And No matter how ‘THEY’ dress it up, Regardless of how ‘THEY’ title it, and even if ‘THEY’ say “BASED ON…”; “ENTERPRISE” IS NOT STAR TREK!!!
    4) 'Reality' T.V. ain't 'Real'

Babysitter -1) Derogatory term for officers (usually dead-enders or those close to retirement.) given undesireable assignments. 2) Any crewman who draws a boring duty assignment. ("Nacelle monitoring duty? That's almost as bad a babysitting job as hazmat.")

Greenies -1) Orions. 2)2260s command division mess dress or class b wraparound uniforms (and/or those who wear them). ("Swell, the greenies are cooking something up again.")

Straight Arrow- 1) (Academy slang) Any cadet virtuous to the point of being annoying (often applied to Vulcans). 2) By-the-book officers who rarely display any initiative for fear of risking their jobs ("I heard that ol' Esteban on the Grissom was a real straight arrow.")

Jet Juice -Engine room hooch (like starfleet coffee, it's measured in warp factors, with warp nine being pure ethanol).

Class C (from Class C uniforms and equipment, issued for dirty work)-Anything cheap, third-rate, or generally undesireble. ("Oh, man, what a Class C shore leave that was!")

Brain Buckets- Starfleet security and marine helmets.

Get a Suntan -Get radiation poisoning ("Hawkins got a little suntan when the core leaked, but he'll be back on duty by tomorrow.")

The Wrath of Khan -What happens when you drink the water on a new planet.

The Tellarite Two-Step- The wrath of Khan.

Kahless' Revenge- The Tellarite two-step.

Klingon Cuisine- -Anything really distasteful or nauseating

Not Operating on All Thrusters- Insane or slightly askew ("I don't know if you've noticed it or not, but he's not exactly operating on all thrusters.")

Last edited by whoami; 10-20-2002 at 11:14 AM.
    Rick

-James T. Kirk
    "Errand of Mercy"