Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Evil Narrators

Oh the problem is that they're playing like professionals and thoroughly enjoying themselves while it's like pulling teeth for me. The fact that I've been planning STAR TREK: FARSCAPE for six months and the ingrates decide that they don't like it after two f**king sessions so I'm not running it anymore and I can just run Star Wars again because they liked that game.

If it didn't (marginally) beat sitting at home I'd chuck the whole Limp sodding Biskit listening lot and call it a loss.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

I feel your pain.

To me, it's the difference between playing with children and playing with adults.
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

Silverthorn ever thought of making a SW mission so insanely difficult so as to kill the player characters? Its very mean, cruel, etc... though it gets the job done.

And have you ever tried running your ST: Farscape through the net? I'm sure several people on the boards here would be more than happy to play your series-including myself
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

The Star Trek:Farscape game is going on-line.

See the gaming Hub section for more details.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

I should in fact have said that the Star Trek: Farscape game is in fact going on-line as Star Trek: Sentinel.

My apologies, still tootle over to the Gaming Hub section for more details.

I thank you.

Originally posted by silverthorn
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does your group know this is not enjoyable for you?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, they don't give a f**k. After two (count 'em, two) sessions of the Star Trek game I was running (the infamous STAR TREK: FARSCAPE) the players have decided they're not going to play that again and they want me to run bloody Star Wars again.

Does anyone in the group have the capability to run the game too? Allowing you to swap and at least have some influence over the direction the group takes as a fellow player?

All the other players ever run is Star bloody Wars. Although a ray of hope has entered the area. One of the other players is thinking of running TORG (cushdy, time to perfect my Arnie voice for my traditional Renegade Infiltrator).

Now all I have to do is convince them to stop playing Limp sodding Biskit and the games might get a lot better.

Sounds like you're mismatched with your group.

I never seem to have much problem finding someone to play with, so I'd just drop the group...

You may not have that option.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

Originally posted by silverthorn

If it didn't (marginally) beat sitting at home I'd chuck the whole Limp sodding Biskit listening lot and call it a loss.

You know, it's funny. When I read your posts I hear the words in my head in Spike's voice. (You know, Spike from BVS).

It's really weird.
    “I am a soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.”

General George S. Patton, Jr.

You know, it's funny. When I read your posts I hear the words in my head in Spike's voice. (You know, Spike from BVS).

It's really weird.
    Well, bearing in mind that Spike's the best character in Buffy, I'll take that as a complement.

It could have something to do with the fact that I'm British as well.

The group of players I've discussed in this thread before (the Limp sodding Bizkit listeners) have managed to pulll off another doozy.

Last Friday night (8/3) I started running a super hero game called Golden Heroes (having told them I wasn't going to run Star Wars because there's already 2 SW games going on). I have put blood, sweat and tears into working out the plot for this game and what happens, they happen. First of all one of the players complains that I expect the PC's to actually form a team (I mean, the nerve. Expecting the PC's in a super hero game to actually form a team just because I spent the last 8 weeks working out the whole bloody game from the stand point of the PC's actually working together). Anyhoo, the first session ran pretty okay (apart from two of the players deciding that their players, despite what I said before, making sure their characters had a get out clause from the whole team by making sure that after 30 days game time they could quit the team) and I was ready and raring to go for session 2. That as they say is where the excretia hit the air conditioning.

First things first. I had to wait to start the game til after 8 because one of the players was watching Jerry Springer and the others were doing character sheets for a Heroes Unlimited game I don't even play in. After that I finally managed to get the game started. First of all one of the players complained that I hadn't done the character creation of one of the PC's (I will add that the player in question had played the game for the first time the week before) because I had dared to give the PC a pair of stun pistols (where the table in question didn't give him the opportunity to have one although the player wanted them because it fitted the idea for the PC) and I hadn't let the other players have a power they weren't allowed to have (although the player in question had rolled about 14 times on a table that was only supposed to have 9 which I figured kind of evened it out). I wound up having to remove the PC's pistols just to shut the player up.

Anyway. The game settled down after that and the session continued until about 20 minutes before the end of the session when the player who had complained about the guns then decided that a NPC who had just arrived on Earth in a battlesuit panicked and damaged a car with a energy blast should be at least put in prison for who knows how long despite the fact that the NPC in question was (a) a alien, and therefore didn't know the law. (b) a princess, and therefore probably entitled to diplomatic immunity and (c) had to be on a planet 3 days away at warp in 3 days to get married and stop a devastating interstellar war. The argument continued until the team disbanded and about all the PC's made it abundently clear that they wouldn't be working together. All in all, about six months work getting the game sorted out down the swanny.

Anyway, am I out of line thinking that this is kind of uncalled for. The thing is it makes me think that I'm running these games wrong.

Not to mention what has happened to my character in one of the Star Wars games. I don't think that a young Jedi character getting (for lack of a better term) violated by a randy Trandoshan was what George Lucas had in mind when he thought up Star Wars.

Sorry about this long post but theirs some things I need to get off my chest before I go and headbutt a wall.

Oh Boy

This sounds it like a row, I had with a PC about 8 or 9 years back. I was running a Ad&d 2nd ED. I rolled up an elven mage, and with in a couple of gaming sessions asked if he could use a long sword, as he felt out of it in the combat. He only learned magic missile, not sleep or colour spray. At first I was going to ban it out right as the Mage rules say no weapon that is heavy or needs alot of skill. But the elf rules say that all elfs are trained with Long/Short Sword/Bow in childhood and that is a long time about 20-30 years, I think. So I told to think about come up with a good reason as to why he uses a sword and not a staff or dagger and what it give up to get a sword.

He came back and quote the elven childhood rules to me, and said due to the training needed, he would lose 1 spell per level, e.g. at first level he suddenly had no spell for 2,500 xp, and he would lose the 9th level spells too. He had 18 INT so he could just get 9th levels spells. So I found out that if the PC wish something bad enought he would give far that you would tell him to lose. The others on see what that lost, told the Cleric that she couldnt do the same, she was following Lathander, so she role-played of the course of 6-8 months a slow lost of faith in thiks god and slowly moved alignment too from NG to CN so she could have a god that would allow her use of a sword. Then picked the 2 hand sword as weapon of choice.

Anyway back to Q, do you do anything wrong. Yes and No, but you and your PC's was in the wrong. They wished to do a SW and told them it would be a SH, so from that point you both had to compromine, as you found it you stick to the rules, you he burnt. I dont know the system would the power have upset the game balance too much? If so a couple of Villians immume to that power would solve that.

It's been said before, Silver, but I think you have a basic GM/player incompatibility thing going.

One thing to realise is that in-game solutions won't change anything, they'll just do it again. The only way they'll play along is if they're playing what they want.

Personally, I'd have walked out a long time ago over this. Maybe I'm lucky, but I get to play with friends, which means that while there's a certain amount of negotiation involved, at least it's peaceful, and we don't get players sabotaging the setting. I lay down basic rules, of which the most important is that characters stay within genre - in creation and play - so I don't get superheroes and psychopaths in a Star Trek game, and heroic characters in my fantasy games stay heroic. If players break the genre, I talk to them about it and then throw characters and players out if they don't change The point is that the players agree to them when they start.
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Yeah, I agree with Imagus. You have to have a strikt boundarie of rules, wich everyone agrees to follow, upfront. First game I narrated, didn't have those, but my new game has. Within those boundaries, everything is possible.

Mischartac.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Just my Idea

I think of RPGs as collaborative story-telling. If all the people involved don't co-operate, the story suffers. If someone is ruining the story, they need to either change their attitude or find another story that suits their attitude.

Another point: as GM, I reserve the right to decide what music, if any, is on when we game. If "Limp sodding Bizkit" doesn't fit the atmosphere you're striving for (and I can practically guarantee it doesn't), stick a ST CD in the player. If anyone doesn't like it, they know where the door is.

One of my regular players, who also DMs our D&D campaign, has a sign on the front of his GM screen that says,

Lawful Dungeon Master:
    My Laws
    My Dungeon
    Your Master
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

I don't exactly have a lot of choice of what music gets played while the games on as it's played in someone else's house so it's either Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson or (heaven forbid) Slipknot played all the time at high volume levels.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    I don't exactly have a lot of choice of what music gets played while the games on as it's played in someone else's house so it's either Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson or (heaven forbid) Slipknot played all the time at high volume levels.
    Silverthorn, I hate to say it, but you should probably find a different group of people to game with. I have always been of the opinion that 90% or playing RPGs is the social aspect of getting together with friends and having fun.

If, for some reason, you're not having fun (and it's quite obvious that the source of the problem is that your players aren't compatible with your gaming style), then one of two things need to happen:

1. The offending players need to leave the group. Since it seems that all of them are being sods, this is probably not the best solution.

2. You need to find a new group.

If you want to keep trying with your current group, see if you can institute a couple of rules:

1. No distractions: IOW, TV is off, and music must be acceptable to everybody in the group, or else it goes off, too. Another option is to trade music days. Each person gets his/her turn choice of music for one session.

2. Have everyone give you a list of games they like to play, then find a couple that everyone can live with....then ask that they stay within the bounds of teamwork when playing those games.

If that works, great. If not, then chuck the entire lot of them and find ppl who you'll actually have fun gaming with.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz