Thread: Creating an RPG

Creating an RPG

Is anyone here interested in putting together an RPG group? This group will take place in the 25th century and the Federation is at war with an old enemy, the Romulan Star Empire. I will post a complete briefing on this shortly.
    Join the Adventures of the Crew of the Starship Enterprise.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ussenterprise_ncc1701g

What are you talking about here ? IRC, PBEM, whatever?

And how about giving us some more than "a complete briefing shortly"? Maybe at least a little bit more information, 'cause as I see it you are tackling a difficult game concept here. With a setting at least 30 or 40 years in the future from DS9 and a war going on you will have to really work out a very good background, including not only details about technology, spacecraft, etc., but about history, political developments, and so on and on and on.

Why have you chosen a 25th century timeframe?

Here is a Brief Briefing I am going to post the history shortly:

It is the year 2413, three decades ago a war that brought a quadrant to it’s knees ended and since then a new alien race emerged, capable of more destruction than the Borg and Dominion fleets combined! Since the storm was inevitable Starfleet determined it was necessary to build a vessel capable of waging a war on its own. This led to the Enterprise. Her mission to seek out new life forms and new civilizations has changed, and now her only mission is to see to the survival of the Federation!

MISSION BRIEFING

FROM: Commodore William Teagarden CO USS Enterprise NCC-1701-G, CO Task Force 01
    TO: All Starfleet Officers selected for Operation Continued Peace -TOP SECRET-

First off I would like to thank each and everyone of you. As Starfleet Officers you have taken an oath to protect the Federaration and it's people from any form of tyranny and oppression. This mission will assist you in doing that even further. The UFP, while at peace with most of its neighbors, is currently engaged in a conflict with the Romulan Star Empire and a mysterious new race from the Delta Quadrant. While we know much about the Romulans, this T'saz Kingdom is still an unknown to us. The reasons for their mistrust of us is unknown. First Contact with these people occured around four years ago when the Federation Starship USS Typhon encountered a small derelict vessel on the border of the Federation and unexplored space. As per standard proceedure they hailed the vessel to inquire if they needed assistance and when no response came they beamed aboard. They arrived aboard the ship to find the crew dead and no sign of operational equipment. After investigating further they detected a large vessel on the outskirts of System J-02. They travelled to it and inquired about the vessel, but First Contact failed and a battle ensued. The Typhon and the Unidentified vessel combatted each other for several minutes, and ended with the destruction of the Typhon with all hands. We then deployed more ships to the area which was very swift, after using a wormhole discovered in Romulan Space, and we managed to recover the remains of our fallen comrade. While we did that a vessel with the same specs arrived and engaged our fleet. We overpowered them, but to avoid capture they initiated their self-destruct program destroying the vessel and a few Runabouts we had sent over to capture the ship. We returned to Federation territory, but little did we know they followed. While our people celebrated the dawning of a new year, they we're secretly meeting with one of our most devious allies, the Romulans. Unfortunately the Romulans and this race had established an Alliance against the Federation and this was the end of our Alliance with them. They some how crossed our borders under cloak and made it all the way to Deep Space Eight before we finally detected them. However they had done some damage, more than some, they managed to destroy 78 federation vessels and damaged Federation Outpost DS8. This disaster was 'the straw that broke the camels back' causing the Federation to officially declare war on the Empire. We believe that with our allies, the Klingons, Cardassians, and Ferengi, we can combat them. But then we have a problem, the T'saz have already contacted several other races in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants and each appear to be more than interested in joining their coalition. The Son'a and the Breen have already turned as well, and thats where you come in. If you are willing.

I'm sure by now we have either lost you or grabbed your attention, Starfleet has put together a new fleet, a fleet that will be sent to the front lines of this conflict and go on the most dangerous of missions and we want you to be part of it. The addition of ships, crew, troops, and planets are optional if you would like to accept please contact the Federation. As of the moment our fleet is small, but with you we can win this war!

This is whatever you want, we are putting together a task force of ships.

We are mostly a Play by Posting, this is a new version that is being started on some message boards. An example of one can be found here: www.trekbbs.com in the gaming section. This is the log entry of the Starship Typhon, the first vessel to encounter the T'saz:

FROM: COMMODORE WILLIAM TEAGARDEN, CO USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-G, TASK FORCE 01
    TO: ALL STARFLEET OFFICERS SELECTED FOR OPERATION CONTINUE PEACE
    SUBJECT: CAPTAINS LOG ENTRIES USS TYPHON -RESTRICTED-

LOG OF STARFLEET CAPTAIN JOSHUA KATES, CO USS TYPHON NCC-59255

CAPTAINS LOG STARDATE 63210.1: THE TYPHON HAS BEGUN CHARTING SECTOR J-02 SLIGHTLY BEYOND CURRENTLY HELD TERRITORY. WE HAVE NOT HAD ANY CONTACT WITH ANY SPECIES IN THE LAST TWO MONTHS, AND ACCORDING TO OUR LATEST SENSOR DATA WE SHOULD NOT FIND MUCH OF ANYTHING OUT HERE. IN THIS OFFICERS OPINION THIS AREA OF SPACE IS A WASTE OF OUR TIME, THE ONLY THING THAT SAVES IT IS THE LARGE SUPPLY OF DILITHIUM ON THE THIRD MOON OF A PLANET NICKNAMED BY OUR CREW AS HADES.

CAPTAINS LOG STARDATE 63210.2 SUPPLEMENTAL: THE TYPHON HAS FOUND ANOTHER PLANET RICH IN DILITHIUM AND ALSO WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE REMAINS OF A STARSHIP, I HAVE SENT AN AWAY TEAM OUT IN A DANUBE CLASS RUNABOUT TO SCOUT AHEAD OF US.

CAPTAINS LOG STARDATE 63210.3 SUPPLEMENTAL: WE HAVE TRACTORED ABOARD THE REMAINS OF THE STARSHIP AND I HAVE MY CHIEF ENGINEER AND SCIENCE OFFICERS RUNNING SCANS ON REMAINS IN OUR CARGO BAY. ALSO WE HAVE RECOVERED A SMALL ALIEN DEVICE, I HAVE ORDERED IT TO BE PUT UNDER GUARD IN OUR SCIENCE LAB.

CAPTAINS LOG STARDATE 63210.4 SUPPLEMENTAL: THIS IS STARTING TO BE A REAL MYSTERY. THE TYPHON HAS DISCOVERED ANOTER DERELICT ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF OUR LONG RANGE SENSORS. WE HAVE SET COURSE FOR IT AND SHOULD ARRIVE WITHIN THE HOUR. I HAVE ORDERED THE TYPHON TO YELLOW ALERT.

CAPTAINS LOG STARDATE 63210.5 SUPPLEMENTAL: WE HAVE REACHED THE DERELICT STARSHIP AND I HAVE PUT TOGETHER AN AWAY TEAM. I HAVE DECIDED TO LEAD THE AWAY MISSION MYSELF MUCH TO THE SURPRISE OF MY EXECUTIVE OFFICER.

CAPTAINS LOG STARDATE 63210.6 SUPPLEMENTAL ENTRY BY EXECUTIVE OFFICER DEBRA HOPSON: THE AWAY TEAM HAS YET TO RETURN TO THE SHIP AND WE HAVE LOST CONTACT WITH THE RUNABOUT WE DISPATCHED ON THE SCOUTING MISSION. AT LAST REPORT THE RUNABOUT WAS APPROACHING A PLANET APPRXIMATELY HALF A LIGHT YEAR AWAY, WE HAVE SET A COURSE AND WILL PROCEED THERE WHEN THE AWAY TEAM COMES BACK ABOARD.

CAPTAINS LOG STARDATE 63210.7 SUPPLEMENTAL ENTRY BY EXECUTIVE OFFICER DEBRA HOPSON: THE AWAY TEAM HAS RETURNED TO THE TYPHON IN AN AGITATED STATE. THEY HAVE BEEN CONFINED TO SICKBAY. WE ARE ENROUTE TO THE LOCATION AT WHICH THE SCOUT DISAPPEARED. I HAVE ENGAGED RED ALERT.

CAPTAINS LOG STARDATE 63210.8 SUPPLEMENTAL ENTRY BY EXECUTIVE OFFICER DEBRA HOPSON: WE HAVE FOUND THE RUNABOUT, OR WHAT REMAINS OF IT, ON THE OUTSKIRTS OF SYSTEM J-02. WE HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS SHIP, BUT OUR SENSORS SUGGEST THAT IT WAS ATTACKED BY A STARSHIP. ALSO OUR AWAY TEAM HAS BECOME MORE COOPERATIVE, THEY STATE THAT THEY FOUND THE CREW OF THE DERELICT DEAD AT THEIR POSTS, AND ALL TECHNOLOGY EITHER DESTROYED OR REMOVED. WHILE I BELIEVE THAT WE SHOULD RETURN TO FEDERATION SPACE, CAPTAIN KATES BELIEVES THAT WE SHOULD FIND THE SHIP THAT DID THIS.

CAPTAINS LOG STARDATE 63210.85 SUPPLEMENTAL ENTRY BY EXECUTIVE OFFICER DEBRA HOPSON: A LARGE VESSEL HAS BEEN DISCOVERED IN ORBIT OF THE FINAL PLANET OF THE SYSTEM NAMED J-02. THEY HAVE YET TO RETURN OUR HAILS. OH GOD THEY'RE LOCKING... THEY HAVE FIRED TORPEDOES. SHIELDS HAVE FALLEN TO 51% IN ONE VOLLEY! WE'VE ENGAGED EVASIVE, OH NO ANOTHER VOLLEY THEY'VE...

END LOG ENTRIES

Perrryyy Guest

LUG or freeform

Do you play according to LUG rules, or is it more "freeform"?

that is up to the commanders of the ship you serve on. My ship The Enterprise-G uses a combo of both. we follow some of the rules, but are more free. This is the proposal for the Enterprise:

It is the year 2413, on the eve of the celebration of the new year the Federation’s greatest enemy began a deadly attack at the very heart of our space. Systematically they attacked our people’s, the Vulcans, the Andorians, the Tellarites, the Deltans, and so forth. In an emergency meeting of the Federation Council Starfleet declared a state of war, selecting the best crew to serve on the Federation Flagship. You were someone they chose.

These are the Voyages of the Starship Enterprise...

Her mission of Exploration has changed and now its up to an intrepid crew to save the Federation.

New Ship...

A New Crew...

New Races...

New Technology...

Are you ready to take the CONN?

Well..did we win or lose the war?!