Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transwarp Velocities

Post Transwarp Velocities

Just how fast is transwarp anyway (as far as times the speed of light that is)?

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

In TNG times, Transwarp does not exist. (During the movie-era, Transwarp was the "Great Failure" - it never worked).

However, the Borg discovered Transwarp conduits ("Descent 1&2"), which were reputedly some 20 times faster than normal Warp velocities (I think - the figures are mentioned in the episodes).

I don't think they ever mentioned an absolute figure in terms of multiples of c - given that the Warp speed scale is exponential, any figure resembling a multiple of c would be meaningless, anyway...

------------------
    Why do banks charge you an "insufficient funds" fee on money they already know you don't have?

Talking

i seem to remember a borg vessel with lore at the helm which successfully attained transwarp speeds. i even remember seeing a site with a figure on just how fast its max velocity was. leave it to me to forget to bookmark the damn site lol.

As for the charge on money u dont have - The service charge is for the poor bank owner who is just scraping by on whatever meager funds he can attain (wow i CAN be a polotician)

Lightbulb

In Spacedock Steve Long uses the 20x multiplier for Transwarp.

------------------
    "...and no, I don't play the bagpipes either!"

Arrow

<font color="red">In TNG times, Transwarp does not exist. (During the movie-era, Transwarp was the "Great Failure" - it never worked).</font>

I beg to differ. Just because the Federation have not been able to develop a successful transwarp technology to reach the unattainable warp 10, does not mean it does not exist. In VOY the evolved descendants of Earth's dinosaurs, the Voth, have developed transwarp technology earlier than mankind. The Borg also have their own development of transwarp technology by use of transwarp conduits.

As for the speed of transwarp, as everyone have stated here, it's 20 times faster than the normal warp velocity, meaning the energy required for a ship to travel at a normal warp 8 velocity would actually travel 20 times that in transwarp.

------------------
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

So in other words... transwarp 8 = warp 160

>transwarp 8 = warp 160

No. Warp 10 is infinite speed. It's not a linear scale. So
    transwarp 8 = Warp 9.9... something. I don't have the chart handy, but it's straightforward if you have it. But if
    warp 8 = somthing x C then
    transwarp 8 = 20 x something x C
    where C is the speed of light.

Ok, so then how could it be 20x faster then if even at transwarp 1 1x20=20>10

Know whut'a'meen Vern?

When travelling at transwarp speed you are moving at the speed of plot.

>Ok, so then how could it be 20x faster then if even at transwarp 1 1x20=20>10

Because warp factors are not linearly mapped to speed. Let me try to explain what that means:

For this example, let us use the old series rating for mapping warp factors to real speed. It's not completely canattonical, and the TNG chart is more complex but the point still holds. Assume that the speed is the warp factor cubed times the speed of light (c).

In your example, warp 1 = the speed of light. Transwarp 1 = 20 times the speed of light. Twenty times faster.

Warp 2 is 2x2x2 = 8 c,
    Warp 3 is 3x3x3 = 27 c,

So transwarp 1 is slightly less than warp three. Even though it is 20 times _faster_, it is not 20 _warp_factors_ higher.

There are a lot of real world examples where things are mesured on something other than a linear scale. For example, the richter scale measures the energy in an earthquake. If you had an earthquake with 10 times as much energy as one with a 6 on the richter scale, it's richter scale measure would be 7, beacuse this is a logarithmic scale. Likewise, decibles are logarithmic.

So yes, I know what you mean, Vern.

Arrow

Isn't that the OLD warp scale (cubed factor)? I believe the new warp scale is calculated very differently.

As I understand it, you cannot reach Warp 10 with standard Warp Drives. More to the point nothing can reach Warp 10.
    Travelling at Warp 10 "in" subspace would have similar (or totally different but for sure some) effects as if you travel at c (speed of light) in the Einsteinraum/"Realspace" (Tom Paris once reached Warp 10 by what ever means, but it had some very undesirable effects!). So going beyond Warp 10 must be done by using something completely different as a "present" Warp Drive, just as you use a Warp Drive to travel through subspace at c or faster (Don't shot me for simplifying this!!!) instead of using a standard "Newtondrive".
    If the Federation speaks of their Transwarp technology (at least during the Kirk movie era) they must have ment a new Warp scale to avoid speeds like Warp 9.99997 or Warp 9.99997534. They just developed a more efficient drive.
    The Borg Transwarp conduits are just another way to go beyond the current top speeds. You can call this also faster than light travel, because you are faster than light when using these conduits. IMO they only use the term Transwarp somewhat arbitrary.

As I said, that is the way I see it.

DOH! Ok, I understand now.

Was the speed of standard subspace communications ever mentioned

I beleive that standard subspace communications speeds were in the neighbourhood of warp 9.9999 with help from booster relays.