Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transwarp Velocities

Arrow

Now THAT would have been an improvement to the current subspace communication network.

It's actually the equivalent of warp 9.9997.

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 12-23-2000).]

Glad to help, Mig1!

REG: You are correct. I mentioned in my message that that was the Old Series scale. The TNG-era warp scale is not a simple mathematical relationship. The chart on page 55 of the TNG technical manual has a logarithmic velocity axis, but the curve is not straight. Using that chart, we get the following APPROXIMATE values for the velocity of TNG-era warp factors:
    c=speed of light
    TNG warp 1 = c
    TNG warp 2 = 10c
    TNG warp 3 = 40c
    TNG warp 4 = 100c
    TNG warp 5 = 200c
    TNG warp 6 = 400c
    TNG warp 7 = 700c
    I'd better stop, my ruler on such a small chart is inaccurate. A millimeter off and I'm 100c wrong... and it must be noted that the nature of the curve changes after warp 9. There is an asymtote at warp 10, where the velocity is infinite.

Still the argument holds, if transwarp 1 is 20x TNG warp 1, it is still less than TNG warp 3.

Then as far as the nature of Transwarp... can you detect an opening exit-point only or can you also determine their relative transwarp field position and speed? Meaning how far can a Borg make it into the Fedspace before its discovered?

So are we strictly saying that the borg have conduits only and Voyager's sensor's just zoomed through the tunnel or is every thing just a 'few decks short of a full ship'

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Arrow

<font color="yellow">Then as far as the nature of Transwarp... can you detect an opening exit-point only or can you also determine their relative transwarp field position and speed?</font>

AFAIK, the [Voyager's] sensors can only detect transwarp conduit but not the Borg vessel traveling within but only when it exit. Usually when a conduit opens up, there is a buildup of tachyon emission (created by the Borg vessel).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by REG (edited 12-30-2000).]

Yes thats what the Voyager episode with Icheb seemed to say; that can detect the conduit but only a ship on its way out or near the periphery.

------------------

I think they should come up with a good explaination for why none of the Earth-bound cubes just transwarped over to keep from being attacked along the way.

Maybe it was tech they assimilated later! Voth for instance!

------------------

Lightbulb

My assumption is that transwarp conduits are things you need to build a network of. To build a conduit, you need to have a ship present at the starting and end points or something like that.

Then you use some technology to open the conduit and take your ship through it.

So in essence, the Borg can build a conduit real close to the edge of Federation space with a minimum of interference. But to get to Earth and try to assimilate it, they have to use rapid, but conventional warp to cross Fed space.

Dunno if that ever been contradicted on screen though, i'm no trek trivia buff.

If so what are the TW coils for?
    Just a back up drive when they need it???

------------------

I had always thought that the Borg travelled through Transwarp in the following manner.

Like how a regular Warp-drive used M/AM plasma to creates a warp field which propelled it to its speed, A transwarp comes from plasma (or what ever they use to power their systems) is feed to the Transwarp coil. The coil has a different effect. Instead of creating a simple warp field, it creates a tunneling effect (or the Transwarp conduit.

Once the conduit is formed, the ship would simplely break the barrier and enter the conduit. Now, for example, the conduit near Iceb's homeworld was a conduit that created and has became an active "highway" that Borg use often. Considering how the Borg is interconnected, they probablely know eact locations to every conduit.

Once Janeway stole the coil, She did not know the location of any conduit, so she use the coil to create a new conduit. It also suggested from the episode that the conduits have a certain range and use. Because Voyager could only travel so far until the coil gave out. So they could not create this super long conduit to the Alpha Quadrant.

What I am curious though is do these conduits dispate after time. An active conduit, like the one near Icab's world is probablely is constantly being used, so it does loose its stability, but do those that are not used often, do they began to lose integrity and collapse?

Arrow

If a transwarp conduit is not used as much or neglected, it will dissipate in time. So the transwarp coil not only create new conduits but also maintain established conduits.

Sort of like a miner who must constantly check the tunnel supports he built so they won't collapse and cause a cave-in.

Okay so what we're saying is this:

* All Borg Ships (well most) have a transwarp coil.

* Using this coil they can form a Transwarp Conduit at least 20000 ly maybe a little more until the coil burns out from overuse.

* Reuse of the coil in a conduit, strengthens it, possibly to a point where it won't ever collapse naturally.

* When not using the Transwarp Conduits, Borg ship are traveling at Warp, cruising around 9.6 and perhaps a top speed of 9.9+

Thus the conduit the Borg Queen's ship (Dark Frontier) was using was simply the one that the Delta Flyer formed earlier. And that with a torpedo barrage at the conduits periphery, a conduit can be collapsed resulting in the destuction of any vessels within the conduit at the time.

------------------