Thread: Anybody ever heard of that little game called "Full Thrust"?

Anybody ever heard of that little game called "Full Thrust"?

Hey!

For those who don't know what Full Thrust is, it's a generic space combat game. It is modular in design and can be adapted to represent any sci-fi universe (Star Wars, B5, etc). The rules make it easy to handle several ships at once and to build your own fleets.

Anyways, I just finished my own set of Star Trek rules for Full Thrust. Now, I took many of the stats from Spacedock, as well as a few ideas. The system is designed to be compatible, up to a point, with LUG Trek. For instance, a crewmember with Shipboard Systems (Tactical) (4), gets a certain amount of bonus rolls based on his "4" when rolling to-hit.

I'm working now on a second set of optional rules that can integrate Spacedock ships.

If anyone is interested at having a look at the set of rules and give me his or her opinion, I'd be happy to oblige.
    Oh, better far to live and die
    Under the brave black flag I fly,
    Than play a sanctimonious part
    With a pirate head and a pirate heart!

I loved Full Thrust!

It was great...but I haven't been able to find a copy of it anywhere...has it gone out of print?

Let me know, and yes I would love tot take a look at your Trek rules.

Oh Full Thrust is still in print. It is one of those "stealth" games out there, plus it's made in the UK.

Now, as you know in Montreal sci-fi wargaming is nowhere near as popular as in Anglophone cities, so that's why there isn't nearly as much demand.

But the Valet de Coeur can order it.

I'm afraid I lost your email ; email me and I'll send yoy my rules. But please, bear in mind they need playtesting, and still some tweaking. This is a "rough" set.

here's my email : very_evil_cartman@yahoo.com

I don't buy from Valet...if youc an tell me who makes it I will order it through a distributor and save a few bucks

I don't think it has to do with English Vs French, I think it has to do with a French version of most wargames are not made.

But that is neither here nor there.

I always wanted to take a agiant Hex map with numbers on it and have 4 - 6 players mkae one move a week and slowly move closer and clsoer towards each other, colonising as they then went

I may still do this

Love to see the rules

I would love to see what you have done for the game. Could you please send a copy to me at the following addy, as the adress in my profile is out of date.

kingkaiju@hotmail.com

Also, Full thrust can be obtained from GeoHex, which ironically is located at www.geohex.com
    hope this helps!

Full Thrust is cool. The B5 game was using it. Very nice.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Ouch, I just realized it's a 2.87 MB file... does anyone know how I could compress it using ZIP or something? Thanks;

If not, I'll have to remove all the nifty pictures I had pasted on there, trying to reduce the file size so that it can be DL/UL from regular accounts.

As soon as I can get this thing going I'll send it to the people who requested it; no more than a couple of days, promised!

Ok, I've got a "no pics" version ready now (482KB... much better than 3MB !!!)

We played many a game of Star Trek full thrust. Unfortunately all my stuff was on an antiquated Amstrad WP that died.

Battlefleet Gothic rendered FT obsolete for us, though. BG rocks as a starship combat game. We did a few ST rules for that too. The Borg battling the awesome Imperial Battleship was game and a half.

Full Thrust is produced by Ground Zero Games, PO Box 337, Needham Market, Suffolk, IP6 8LN, UK.

Their catalogue includes all sorts of interesting stuff including character figures such as 'Warrior Princess with throwing ring' (excellent), 'Teen Vampire Hunter' (kind of fat), 'female artifact hunter with twin pistols' (pretty good). Also anime figures galore, 'Shape Changing Martial artist in panda form' etc.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

I also have BFG. It's a fine game but it suffers from the GW plague in that the system is merely there to push lead, to sell WAY overpriced miniatures. This is very obvious when you try to run games with only a pair of ships on each side; to make the game really interesting you need very large fleets. They could at least provide counters like most of the tabletop wargames do, like Btech did, Lightning Strike, B5 Wars, etc.

I have very little respect for GW in general. They are what I call the "summer blockbuster" of gaming: all hype and flash but actually very little substance. They made a bid geal of BFG when it was released in spring of '99 then the support almost dried up overnight. This is what GW does to every "new hyped game of the season". And now they are trying to dumb down, litterally, the contents to make the game more accessible to all those bratty 12-yr olds (wonder if GW has been purchsed by Lucas? ) who wander into GW' official shops, pesker mommy to buy 500$ worth of paint sets and minis thinking that they'll actually look like the GW stuff on display than get bored with it and return to their video games Plus I don't get the WH40K universe; sounds like it was thought up by some reject goth teens living in Tampa. To quote Tonyg : "the have orcs with mowhaks in that game". That bit still makes me laugh!

That is why I prefer to patronize smaller, unpretentious companies like GZG (the makers of FT); ok, their art and minis isn't exactly GW-grade (that much I'll grant to GW)- although the latest GZG releases are great- but they are not constantly trying ad nauseam to push their products, rules, minis. FT is about doing things "the way you like it".

Rant mode off
    Last edited by Angry_Cartman; 01-25-2002 at 10:27 PM.

Originally posted by Angry_Cartman
    I also have BFG. It's a fine game but it suffers from the GW plague in that the system is merely there to push lead, to sell WAY overpriced miniatures. This is very obvious when you try to run games with only a pair of ships on each side; to make the game really interesting you need very large fleets. They could at least provide counters like most of the tabletop wargames do, like Btech did, Lightning Strike, B5 Wars, etc.

But GW is a miniature games manufacturer. In earlier editions of Warhammer they used to give us cardboard conters. These days we get plastic miniatures.

Originally posted by Angry_Cartman They made a bid geal of BFG when it was released in spring of '99 then the support almost dried up overnight. This is what GW does to every "new hyped game of the season".

Sure, the only two games GW continually push are Warhammer and Warhammer 40K. But, Fanatic produce a semi-regular magazine for many of the other GW games (Mordheim, Necromunda, BFG etc) and new figures.

To quote Tonyg : "the have orcs with mowhaks in that game". That bit still makes me laugh!

Orks are gud, but Space Orks rulz.

That is why I prefer to patronize smaller, unpretentious companies like GZG (the makers of FT); ok, their art and minis isn't exactly GW-grade (that much I'll grant to GW)- although the latest GZG releases are great- but they are not constantly trying ad nauseam to push their products, rules, minis. FT is about doing things "the way you like it".
    GW is big business. Like them or loathe them, they still produce quality merchandise. Personally I prefer more reslistic miniatures than GW's but I do like some of their games: BFG, Inquistor, Necromunda, Epic.

My biggest gripe with GW is their 'painting guides' which show you how to paint miniatures in three easy steps. 1. Undercoat. 2. Paint. 3. Detail, and viola, instant GW quality paintjob.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Hey Cartman,

Nice to see you got the Full Thrust: Star Trek rules done up. BTW, check out the CODA starship combat section- you'll spot a couple of things that I know you'll like:

1) No power allocation.

2) The number of torp launchers affecting thier game ratings.

Sounds like a couple of ideas we've seen elsewhere.

Hey Hi Tonyg!

Where can I check CODA starship combat section ??

That seems like some of the stuff you had come up with for your LUGTREK wargame adaptation.

Last edited by Angry_Cartman; 02-01-2002 at 04:25 PM.

Never mind I found it!

Those who received a copy of my ST/FT rules will recognize that it won't be to hard to adapt that set to DecipherTrek. Cool!