Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Boldly Go?

Post To Boldly Go?

You know, Don, I'm a bit absent minded these days, so I have to ask...

are you going to put together a "To Boldly Go" supplement?

Just wondering.

mactavish out.

LOL!

Well, six months ago, I was hoping to have Voyager out by now and be working on my next project!

Instead my life has been consumed by Spacedock, the SRM, and the DWS. So, while I work on them Voyager sits in limbo, two months behind schedule. (It's all for a good cause, tho.)

I would like to do an exploration guide in the style of TBG, especially considering I have a lot of material that reverted back to me after the LUG/WotC/Decipher affair. Right now I'd say that book is buried behind at least three other projects...one you already know about.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

So Don, no plans to make like Steve Long and offer a choice.

Your a man that knows what he wants.

Shame, I could REALLY use the concept from 'Boldly Go', it was one of the books I was looking forward too. Be assured I will snap it up in a moment when you do get to work on it.

But Voyager is also one I am looking forward too, so dont worry there!

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

The difference here is Don already has Voyager already complete, and I suspect some work already done or planned on those other projects he hints at as well. I offered a choice because I was more or less at Ground Zero on everything I listed, and figured I might as well see what people wanted the most. If I'd been in Don's position, I'd probably have just picked the one closest to completion and proceeded.

Of course, since Don is The Man, it may be that we will see several of those projects of his all at once.

Steve Long

Originally posted by Steve Long:
    Of course, since Don is The Man, it may be that we will see several of those projects of his all at once.
    I hate to correct you Steve (because the chance arises so infrequently), but you are, in fact, "the man" -- I pale in comparison to your mighty contributions. (As well as your tenacity to stay on task!)

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

Originally posted by Dan Gurden:
    So Don, no plans to make like Steve Long and offer a choice.
    Actually I did pose the question last night on the #LUGTrek IRC chat room (you all still attend Tuesday night chats, right?) and TBG/Exploration did come in first.

A Delta Quadrant SB came in last, as you might imagine.

...but yes, I do tend to know what I want, and what I want to do next.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

WHERE is the LUGTrek chatroom, anyway?

You know, I really don't understand why people aren't interested in a Delta Quadrant sourcebook. There's plenty of things from the show to detail, and what about the areas Voyager didn't pass through? What is there between the Borg and the Dominion?

Exclamation

I tend to agree. Experience from speaking with many gamers on the subject is that Voyager's disappointing stories and lackluster episodes tend to rub off on them.

There seems to be a problem distinguishing between the enjoyment of the show and the utility and possibility of a Voyager RPG setting.

While I certainly agree with the shortcomings of the show, I believe the concept of Voyager, at its core, is solid -- and makes for a damn good RPG setting.

The Delta Quadrant, and the species and adventures within it, offer many possibilities. As an example, while many people regard the Kazon as a poor villain, I envision a lot of possibilities through the many sects, their diverse and conflicting agendas, and their relationship with the Trabe.

But they will be, forever, I fear, known simply as the guys with the "ass" hair who can't make water.

Oh well.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

I reallyreallyreally want the detailed systems for generating planets/ aliens/ systems/ sectors/ creatures/ etc. that I think and hope were supposed to be in TBG. But Voyager sounds good too.

maybe the Kazon aren't effective as villains, but they are still unique and interesting and can inspire good stories.

maybe you can sneak some DQ information in disguise into stuff about Gamma, Beta, or the galactic core.

or maybe people would be more interested in something focused on the Krenim, Hirogen, or something.

Speaking as a long time advocator of Voyager (maybe not the scriptwriting, but the show in general), I would personally be interested in a Delta quadrant book.

Maybe not as interested as the basic Voyager book and something like 'To Boldy Go' (Which I had always hoped to be like 'Spacedock' for planets...)

But I will be watching for these upcoming books with keen interest. After all my game has sent the ship out into the Beta Quadrant past Romulan Space to meet up with Voyager...

Theres only so much you can do with the Romulans, luckily the Borg are getting a little more introverted recently. But I plan on using the Hirogen and Species 8472 at least once...

Then I need to start coming up with new stuff...

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"

I would make use of a DQ sourcebook, as it stands I have in the past developed some information for my Challenger game regarding the Delta Quadrant as that ship and crew traveled a ways out before things really took a left turn.

Many of my players of that particular scenario have expressed a wish to return there one day in a reunion game.

While I am not advocate of the Voyager scripts, a good number of them have led to inspiration and as Don mentioned the Core idea of the show is quite solid and has definate potential.

I even have plans to eventually use the Kazon and they have far more potential then Pakleds.

Regards,
    CKV.

i think a DQ sourcebook would be a very usefull item

Karg

Question

Well, where were all you guys when I did the poll?

While the Voyager book does cover Species 8472, the Hirogen, and the Kazon (plus many others), they are only surface treatments.

Much like Steve, I’m not too keen on spending time to generate something that has limited appeal, although I would find a DQ book of species, worlds, and plot threads useful, even if I weren’t running a “Voyager-esque” campaign.

I think it’s high time I create some kind of online poll feature for the site for these important questions!

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net