Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lover's Update

AslanC Guest

Talking Lover's Update

Well it seems our Captain Murreal Lindsay has moved forward and found herself in a relationship with one Lieutenant Sito Jaxa (rescued during the Dominion War). With that said the two have kept their affair quiet from the others for now, as they both feel while the Prophets would understand their love, the vedeks may not.

Enter the wrinkle...

In the last adventure the Romulans destroyed the USS Saguenay and the USS Exceter. Visions from the Prophets have shown Captain Lindsay that this is a precursor to a Romulan invasion of Bajor, and she has decided to stop it. So there is a big complicated plan and they are going to steal the Orb of Time to go back and win the fight.

That said, there is a good chance that they will quickly forget their future as they slide back into synq with the new timeline (should they suceed). One that that will not have had the moment where Lindsay sought out help from Sito to understand her vision. One where they did not come together.

Devious no? They will feel something between them, but not understand what it is. Will they come around together again? Possibly, but without the spiritual catalyst to bring them together quickly, it may take some serious time...and who knows what else may change

Just gonna sit back and be quite pleased with myself on this one.

As my players say, looks like I got myself a telephone pole all greased up and ready to go

Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by AslanC (edited 01-24-2001).]

Question

I may be misunderstanding your intentions, but this doesn’t make much sense to me.

First of all, the Captain is half of the affair! Wow! That’s cool! As a Narrator I could have tons of fun with that.

I don’t understand the reasoning behind stealing the Orb. You make it sound as if the invasion is already pre-destined to succeed. Shouldn’t she be trying to stop the invasion in the here and the now before going back in time to prevent it from happening? You said it was a precursor to the invasion, implying that it (the invasion) hasn’t happened yet.

Seems to be putting the warp engines in front of the primary hull to me…

Also, after taking the big step to introduce this taboo love affair into your game, you’re going to have a temporal scenario that quietly sweeps it all underneath the carpet? That doesn’t sit well with me and would be a great disservice to the player’s character who took this great risk in order to profess their affections. (“Sorry, never happened.”)

Raise of hands – how many here like the Star Trek episode where, at the end, we’re shown “it never happened?”

Again, I may have misunderstood your summary, and your plans, so I apologize.

As a final question – how did you come about with the justification of the other half being interested in this affair? That is to say, did you contemplate rejection, or were the signs pretty clear to your player that the NPC was interested? I’m curious as to the dynamics that lead to where you are now.

------------------
    Don
    trekrpg@trekrpg.net

AslanC Guest

Cool

Okay let's start at the begining...Visions first and then loves after...

The Romulan government has gone under a massive change. They have become a more Communist style workers union. As such they have issued a statement that no foriegn ships may enter their space on threat of destruction. The Saguenay, which is part of the 26th Fleet Peac Keeping detail in the Cardassian Union, is ambused by two Warbirds as she patrols what is supposed to be neutral territory, but has been claimed by the Romulans. The Exceter and Farscape respond, but while the Farscape saves some of the crew of the Saguenay before her warp core breeches, two Warbirds are more than a match for the Excter (Ambassador class).

Upon returning to Starbase 271, the Klingons make a statement that due to the Grand Alliance they see the Romulan act against the Federation as an act against them. A fleet is dispatched to "deal" with the Romulans. This is actually just a smoke screen for an Klingon territory grab. The Romulans are prepared and hurt the Klingons badly, causing the Klingons to declare war. The entire frontier near Bajor and Cardassian space is about to become quite a mess. The Federation tries its hardest to negotiate peace, but somehow the Romulans (Orion Sydicates influence) learn of the trick that got them into the Dominion War and this outrages the First Citizen who adds the Federation to it's list of people it is at war with. This degenerates into a very messy and long battle that will see Bajor fall to the Romulans at some point in the future.

Add to this that the Captain of the Exceter's daughter serves onboard the Farscape and the daughter of the Farscape's chief engineer was doing her Cadet Cruise on the Exceter, Lindsay feels doubly guilty that she should have been able to do something to prevent the destrcution of the Exceter.

Now, when Sito Jaxa first arrived on the Farscape, she gushed and fawned over how important the first ever Bajoarn Captain (Lindsay) was and even baked her an alva fruit pie. This made Lindsay almost cry and she quickly found herself spending a lot of time with Jaxa.

Sito explained the prohets to her and how the Prophets must be guiding Lindsay which is why she is where she is. Sito turned down a posting on the Enterprise to come here, because it is where she thought the Prophets wanted her.

The two grow closer.

After the disaterous Battle at Relvar (Exceter and Sagunay) Lindsay is awokened from her sleep by visions of the future and of Bajor burning. Of Klingon and Romulan fleets locked in battle. Of millions and millions dying. The last vision is of the Exceter being destroyed. She Calls Sito to her and explains tearfully what she has seen. Sito clams her and the two talk through the night as to what has happened and what the vision could mean.

Lindsay decides that it means the Klingon reprisal is what triggers the war, so to prevent that and to try and stop the death of the Exceter (and crew) she must find a way back in time and figure out how to stop this all from happening.

As she and Sito spend the next few days working things out, trying to find out how to do this, they come upon the notion of the Orb of time.

Having spent that much time together, Lindsay decides she is going to make a move, either it moves forward or it doesn't but she has to know.

They have dinner and Lindsay very clumsily trips into confessing her feelings. Sito is flattered and confesses that she feels a strong conection to Lindsay as well and that the Prophets have brought them together. They kissed and held each other. Lindsay, who was very stressed at this point, broke down and confessed her fears that she had made the wrong shoice by leaving the fight at Relvar and that she doesn't think she is a good Captain.

This lead to a touching scene with Sito brushing out her hair and singing Bajoran lullabyes to her as she calmed herself.

The love fourishes.

Now why make it so no one remembers?

Simple.

This all leads to a scene with the one Vedek they can trust (Lindsay's brother, a renegade vedek) who tells them that if they do this they will have no memory of what has ahppened. Once they set the timeline on a new course, they will be aprt of that and remember nothing of the previous one. Lindsay and Sito will have to decide if the needs of the many or worth more than their love. One of them will decide (I am sure) that the needs of the many are more important and if their love is trulely meant to be than the Prophets will guide them back to it. The Vedek will then call upon the Prophets to bless their love and no matter the adversity guide them back from the darkness to find the light of each other's hearts once again.

This is gonna be some powerful roleplaying. And will allow the love to blossum again, as the two will be attracted to each other in the new timeline despite not understanding exactly why.

Persoanlly I think while it hasa tragic elements it will be a more powerful love the second time around, if for nothing more than the initial scrafice they made, which the players will keep in the backs of their heads.

Hope this helps elaborate.

AslanC Guest

I apologize for the length and numerous typos in the previous message

Thumbs up

Dude! I am impressed, I think this is pretty well thought out as well as being pretty dramatic, which IMHO is what good storytelling is all about. Bravo!

Doug Odell

Thumbs up

Originally posted by AslanC:
    Persoanlly I think while it hasa tragic elements it will be a more powerful love the second time around, if for nothing more than the initial scrafice they made, which the players will keep in the backs of their heads.
    First, I withdraw my objection.

I, personally, don't agree with the "it never happened" scenario -- I think you risk cheapening the role-playing and sacrifice to this point.

It may seem more tragic to the pepole at the table (because they'll obviously remember what happened), but to the characters, and if the players are true to what the characters know and understand, then it will probably be a little anti-climantic. ("Golly, we're in love again!")

The beauty of your plot is the "needs of the many angle," which we all know they will choose to make their self-sacrifice for the good of Bajor and the Federation. That is way cool. It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.

That'd be the only change I would suggest -- alter the finale and let them keep their memories. As I recall, using the Orb of Time had no adverse affects or wiped anyone's memory. Or, as an even better suggestion, have one of them remember what happened.

I can tell you from personal experience that having one character trying to recapture "love lost" is a precious torture, indeed.

(BTW, can I play in your game?)

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Thumbs up

Outstanding! I like it!

In fact, I might even adopt, adapt...mutilate it for my own game...

------------------
    Diagonally parked in a Parallel Dimension...

I like the decision that the characters will have to make. That part works well for me, but personally I would allow the characters to retain their memories despite what the priest said... maybe he was wrong, maybe the Prophets blessed the characters for their willingness to sacrifice. The role playing potential is just too great.

While Starfleet apparently has no restriction on relationships within the chain-of-command, they can be terribly complicated...

Will LT Sito's peers think she gets her assignments or promotions because of the relationship?

Will other crewmembers feel pressured into accepting advances from their superiors because the CO obviously won't help them if they complain... she's doing it herself.

A relationship between different levels within the chain of command is absolutely one of the most destructive things that can happen to a military organization <or any other organization>... it breeds distrust, envy, jealousy and favoritism, especially in a community as small as a starship.

If this is played properly, your crew is in for a ride.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

[This message has been edited by calguard66 (edited 01-24-2001).]

Sounds interesting and a good way of tying two storylines together (any chance of a warp core getting ejected in the adventure? )

One piece of totally unsolicited advice. If you have many players (or more than just those involved in the relationship), be real careful not to "leave them out" of the game - it's a problem on the shows when an episode focuses on one or two characters, but at least there it's just an actor who is getting paid who has less to do, in a RPG everyone is coming with the goal of having fun.

------------------

AslanC Guest

Wow...glad to see the response is mostly positive. So let's deal with each response as we go;

Doug said: "Dude! I am impressed, I think this is pretty well thought out as well as being pretty dramatic, which IMHO is what good storytelling is all about. Bravo!"

Well let me just say thanks very much for that. Exactly what my ego needed.

Don said: "I, personally, don't agree with the "it never happened" scenario -- I think you risk cheapening the role-playing and sacrifice to this point."

I agree to some respect, but I feel the players at the table are mature enough and good enough to get out of it what I am giving them. Besides if the use the Orb of time once and then fix the problem and remember it, they may try to use it again for less noble or Prophets inspired reasons. Ever wonder on TOS why they didn't ever go back to the Guardian of Forever?

Don then said: "That'd be the only change I would suggest -- alter the finale and let them keep their memories. As I recall, using the Orb of Time had no adverse affects or wiped anyone's memory. Or, as an even better suggestion, have one of them remember what happened."

That time they used the orb to take their ship to the past and then back to the future!
    "Worf son of Mog...I am Kruge...and we have to get back to the future!" My roomate's joke that made me bust a gut laughing. But I digress.

If instead send their consciousnesses back, they never return to the future, therefore they join the already in existence timeline.

Paul said: "Outstanding! I like it! In fact, I might even adopt, adapt...mutilate it for my own game.."

Please, feel free. I would be honored that one of my ideas inspired someone else. Just let me know what happens!

calguard66 said: "A relationship between different levels within the chain of command is absolutely one of the most destructive things that can happen to a military organization ... it breeds distrust, envy, jealousy and favoritism, especially in a community as small as a starship. If this is played properly, your crew is in for a ride."

I agree with what you said about the role-playing. You also make some good points about the others perceptions of it. That said, I stand by that this can still all play out, much slower as well, with them having no memory, but these feelings they cannot explain. Challenges the roleplaying more. And trust me, my players demand challenge.

Dan Stack said: "Sounds interesting and a good way of tying two storylines together (any chance of a warp core getting ejected in the adventure?)"

LOL...smart@$$

Dan Stack then said: "One piece of totally unsolicited advice. If you have many players (or more than just those involved in the relationship), be real careful not to "leave them out" of the game - it's a problem on the shows when an episode focuses on one or two characters, but at least there it's just an actor who is getting paid who has less to do, in a RPG everyone is coming with the goal of having fun."

Trust me, I thought of this. Each players has his or her own function to achieve or the whole thing fails. Trust me, the tactical officer and chief of sciences have to break onto the Defiant to take readings of the Cloaking device. A klingon and a vulcan, the scene almost writes itself.

Don also said: "(BTW, can I play in your game?)"

I bow deeply to the honor sir. And no, you can't

I would like to thank everyone for their input and words. I will let you know how it all plays out, as we all know, no adventure survives 5 rounds contact with the PCs

Peace...

[This message has been edited by AslanC (edited 01-24-2001).]

Wink

I would like to thank everyone for their input and words. I will let you know how it all plays out, as we all know, no adventure survives 5 rounds contact with the PCs
    5 rounds? I'm lucky if I get through a prelude.

Talking

Originally posted by Dan Stack:
    5 rounds? I'm lucky if I get through a prelude.
    I resemble that remark.

Enough new and intriguing going on for this story? It was one of those side notes that you would read, with really intresting plot ideas and then nothing happened. I was curious if the players had blowed everything up yet.

AslanC Guest

We finally played the session tonight after sickness and work made us miss a session last week.

I am working on a the write up as we speak, but it won't be ready until tomorrow at the earliest.

One thing I can tell you though, the poor Nova Class hip they were on, the USS Farscape, went boom!

But they were happy nonetheless

Stay tunned

Exclamation

<hr>One thing I can tell you though, the poor Nova Class hip they were on, the USS Farscape, went
    boom!<hr>

Well Aslanc you definetly know how to whet an appetite.

------------------
    The pain, the pain. I think a neuron
    just short circuited. *thud*

[This message has been edited by Lolth-org (edited 02-09-2001).]