Thread: Truly Powerful Psychics

Question Truly Powerful Psychics

How would you create psychic characters (PCs or NPCs) with truly frightening psionic powers? I'd don't just mean, "I think he's hiding something, Captain," but rather Firestarter or Carrie levels of power, if not moreso.

I have need of a telekinetic so powerful that he can immobilize a vessel in orbit. I know that I could very easily make this a non-mechanics situation and just say, "This is what happens..." but I'd rather have some data to back it up.

Any ideas?

mactavish out.

The most powerful psychics given in the LUG books would be the genetically-altered humans in the adventure at the back of the TOS Core Rulebook. They were powerful, but nowhere near strong enough to immobilize a starship (I'd hate to meet a telekinetic who could hold a ship capable of going 1512 times the speed of light!). Of course, they don't have to achieve this by telekinesis - they could just telepathically control the bridge officers and stop them touching the helm controls.

------------------
    "Hunter to Tempest, beam me outta here - fast!"

"Energizing... Oh, wait! I forgot to reset the emitters..."

"Chief?!!"

"Just kidding!"

Capt.Matt Hunter and Transporter Chief Andy Macintyre, USS Tempest, NCC-81205

The character should not be given any standard overlay. Instead he should receive PSI skills and attributes worth the overlays' development points.

All LUG Trek PSI skills (at least that I know) are:
    Mind Meld
    Mind Shield, Psionic Negation + Reflective Mind Shield
    Projective Empathy, Empathic Attack
    Projective Telepathy, Illusion Creation + Mind Control + Induce Trance
    Receptive Empathy, Empathic Healing
    Receptive Telepathy, Psychometry + Psychosense
    Telekinesis, Telekinetic Manipulation + Thermokinesis

There are also some Clairvoyance Skills:
    Vision
    Far-Seeing
    Precognition

Smile

Maybe this isn´t the thing you´re actually looking for but there´s a psi skill in the Players´Guide called Electromanipulation, allowing to control electronic devices.

But controlling a starship would be a nearly impossible task. Fortunately your character doesn´t have to control the whole ship to stop it. I suppose this skill allows you to control the flow of electrones, so, instead of trying to control the Conn or an other specific system you only have to disable power flow. I think this would lower the difficulty for controlling a ship system from Difficult to Challenging.

Really holding a starship trying to free itself with it´s impulse engines is IMHO impossible for a normal character.

------------------
    God, I liked him better before he died.