Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cardassian SRM

Cardassian SRM

Just wanted to make a little vote of thanks to Steve for the new SRM. Your hard work is much appreciated

Cheers

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Wow, talk about your stealth marketing.

I didn't even know this was in the works. Looks like I have something to DL tonight. Looking forward to reading it.

Thumbs up

I've only had a chance to skim the Cardassian SRM, but it looks pretty good. I like that a few pages have been used to introduce allies/clients/neighbors of the Cardassians and some of their ships; I hope the Klingon and Romulan SRMs will do likewise (other than the Taurhai, whom Steve has already confirmed will be covered in the Romulan SRM).

Illustrations would, of course, be nice, but Steve's descriptions are as evocative as those in the Starfleet SRM and offer a perfectly good starting point for those with the inclination to do some graphic work themselves.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

I don't believe the Klingon book contains any non-Klingon/client species ships -- for the simple reason that, since I wasn't in charge of that subject at LUG, I never gave it any thought. I had to think a lot about it when developing Iron and Ash: The Cardassians, and that thinking influenced the SRM: Cardassians.

The Klingon ship book should be released fairly soon, after everyone's had the chance to play around with the Cardie book for a while.

Steve Long
    HERO System Line Developer

It has been a long, long time since I proof read this book but it has been well worth the wait. The layout and cover are top notch, too.

Many thanks, Steve.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Forward: FYI

Steve:
    Your Forward (Page 5) in the Cardassian SRM is misdated as January 2001... unless of course it was done in January 2001 and needed formatting
    I have Adobe 5.0 and can fix it for myself.
    Once again, super job. Beautiful layout too.

Charles
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

That's not a misdating... it was written in January, 2001. Real-world considerations have just kept me from releasing it 'til now.

I can't take any credit for the layout -- it was all done by Andreas Bodensohn, with a cover by Alexandre Maier. In short, it's the European Starship Book Production Brigade! Take a bow, guys.

Steve Long
    HERO System Line Developer

New SRM/ New Races

I enjoyed what I read of the new SRM so far. I always enjoy new species. I translated SRM1's descriptions into rough drawings and will probably do the same with SRM2. Now if only I can get around to buying a new printer! I still need to print owt DWS and CSB.

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

Question Page size question

The SRM is showing up for me as being 8.26" by 11.69". Is this the correct size? Or is this an artifact of opening it in Acrobat 4 instead of 5 like the readme says it wants?
    Ambassador Worf, from Diplomatic Implausibility by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    Human scholars have a tendency to overexamine literature that goes well beyond the pedantic.

Perrryyy Guest

Kudos

Only taken a glance at it so far, but the cover certainly caught my eye!

Kudos to Alexander Maier for the cover (and apologies if I clobbered your name!)

Re: Page size question

Originally posted by ArsenicMan
    The SRM is showing up for me as being 8.26" by 11.69". Is this the correct size? Or is this an artifact of opening it in Acrobat 4 instead of 5 like the readme says it wants?
    Heh, heh, heh! Those are European A4 paper dimensions!

ROTFLMAO! Yes, the Cardassian SRM is formatted for A4 paper!

You’re going to want to use the “shrink to fit” checkbox in Acrobat to force Acrobat to make the output fit on 8.5” x 11” paper in the print dialog box.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Livonia, Michigan, US; Holder of the Steve Long Pink Elephant for SRM Volume 2: The Cardassian Empire Testreading

Re: Re: Page size question

Originally posted by Don Mappin

Heh, heh, heh! Those are European A4 paper dimensions!

ROTFLMAO! Yes, the Cardassian SRM is formatted for A4 paper!
    Should've expected it, given Steve's "European Starship Book Production Brigade" comment...

You’re going to want to use the “shrink to fit” checkbox in Acrobat to force Acrobat to make the output fit on 8.5” x 11” paper in the print dialog box.
    <hr>
    EDIT
    It appears that I can't do math--it didn't end up bad at all.
    <hr>
    Ambassador Worf, from Diplomatic Implausibility by Keith R.A. DeCandido
    Human scholars have a tendency to overexamine literature that goes well beyond the pedantic.

It doesn't just look good...it looks good.

Great job guys!
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Glad you enjoy the layout.

And yes SRM2 is indeed formatted for A4. For once I thought it would be nice if other people than me had to deal with a file that's not formatted the way they expected it. Isn't that what IDIC is all about?

Wahoo! Finally an A4-compliant sourcebook!

Thanks to Lancer, Steve Long, and everyone who contributed to the book in the slightest, including the proofreaders.
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy