Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Constitution Class Starship (Original)

Cool Power Allocation

Actually, if you must know, power allocation was originally thought up by the guys who created the old text-based computer Star Trek game. You know, the one where you move from quadrant to quadrant killing Klingons.

Lou Zocchi adapted a greatly simplified version of that for his Star Trek Battle Manual miniatures game and later he and I repeated the formula for the Star Fleet Battle Manual version.

This was all back in the early '70s.

Steve Cole then repeated the idea for Star Fleet Battles. Some variation of power allocation has been in nearly all Trek games (including FASA Trek) up til now. It wasn't until Red Alert! and the new CODA/Engage! system that we're finally getting to put power allocation in its place.
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Don,

From what's you've shown us, starship combat is CODA looks pretty good. I for one am glad to see that last of pwer allocation-it was too cumbersome, and on TV ships only seem to run out of power AFTER the've been damaged or something.

Now we can have our cup of Earl Grey without lowering the shields!

I noticed that warp and impulse types were noted, along with weapons and shields. Seems like the new system will be more modular, making upgrading them easier. Are there component tables (like SPACEDOCK) in CODA so we can do our own upgrades?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

<Flops down and looks content for the first time in months>

It looks GREAT!

QUESTION!?!?!?!?!?

What does the Ops officer do now that he doesnt have to play with power allocation though? Seems like it did releave my (narrator) headache of the power garbage though, but it at the same time takes something away... Give and take give and take...

<Mumbles as he wonders back to his ready room>

"NO NO NO!!!. Don't shoot it!!!" <Dives for cover... Looks up...> "DANG it Lietenant! Would you STOP playing with the phases!?"

Chris

Cloaking question

I'm curious to know if there will be any differences in how the cloaking device works in the new format.

How could it be damaged in combat?

Will a damaged, but still working cloak "leak" sensor information?
    Meaning, it will make it a little easier to detect a damaged cloaked ship?

Thumbs up

Hey I just made ensign! cool.

Re: Cloaking question

Originally posted by TomMarg
    I'm curious to know if there will be any differences in how the cloaking device works in the new format.

How could it be damaged in combat?

Will a damaged, but still working cloak "leak" sensor information?
    Meaning, it will make it a little easier to detect a damaged cloaked ship?
    Since a cloak is a balancing act with several participants (communications, engines, speed, etc.) if the cloak is even minorly damaged the cloak would be next to useless. How it would be damaged? Probably by a hit to engineering.