Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Galaxy Class Starship

Command
    Helm
    Tactical

The three categories of maneuvers used in the game.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Don,

Thanks. Like all good answers it lead to more questions, but thanks.

BTW, There is even more TREK lore supporting the lower Structure value for the Galaxy class. According to the TM, the Galaxy class needs it sturcutal integrity fields just to hold it together. This would seem to indicate that it a somewhat fragile compared to a Constitution class.

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Command
    Helm
    Tactical

Thanks, Don. Only slightly clearer at this point, but I can at least hypothesize as to where you're going.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Very nice. Certainly looks a more RPG-friendly system than ICON had. I also like the way the stats are presented. It actually appears much more like a tech readout than a set of game stats, and I really like that.

Now I don't suppose you'd care to post the Intrepid class next would ya Don?

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Nice hint Hunter. I like the subtletly, but since my crew is on one I'll throw my two cents (15) in there too he he he. Of course, I will be happy with anything to wet my gizzard.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Out of curiosity...

Why are the propulsion systems indicated as a Class/Arabic Number on the Galaxy class, and Type/Roman numeral on the Constitution class? Does this indicate different sorts of engines, corresponding to the different warp scales of the two eras?

Re: Out of curiosity...

Originally posted by Fesarius
    Does this indicate different sorts of engines, corresponding to the different warp scales of the two eras?
    Yes, that's correct.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

How does CODA work weapon damage?

2d6+Penetration-Shield Theshold?

Re: Re: Out of curiosity...

Yes, that's correct.
    That is just too friggin' cool.

AndorMan
    Faster than a speeding Andorian

Smile

Command
    Helm
    Tactical

Let me take a crack at this...
    Helm is for moving, tactical is for shooting, and command covers...Initiative? General Bonuses? Am I anywhere in the quadrant?

Question Number of Galaxy class phaser emplacements?

Phaser Arrays Type X (saucer x2, stardrive x3, stardrive x1 concealed/E)
    Does this mean there are total six phaser arrays on a Galaxy class starship? I thought it was ten or eleven. Actually looking at the diagrams in the TNG tech manual (pgs.123-125) there are twelve. Shouldn't the stats read (saucer x2, stardrive x9,
    stardrive x1 concealed/E)?

Arrow

Nope. I’m aware how many phaser arrays a Galaxy-class has. I've stated on several occasions that the system abstracts several items, including weapon emplacements. You're purchasing/constructing "arcs of coverage" or discreet groupings of weapons, not every phaser strip running along a ship.

I championed long and hard just to add multiple weapons and to separate phasers from photons--early drafts had each ship with one "weapon array" which reflected their entire offensive potential. I think we found a nice balance.

It’s like the Structure values that have been shown: People are taking issue with some of the figures without seeing the system in action. It’s quick, it’s slick, and it’s fun. It also recreates what you see on screen (IMO). Do you have to account for every item on your starship or count every phaser and torpedo on your vessel? No. If you want that (and to bring your RPG combat to a screeching halt) you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the comments, Weyoun.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Smile RE: Number of Arrays

Works for me Don. Thanx for that answer. I'm just glad there is some representation to the number of emplacements whereas the ICON system was vague on that point. Hope I didn't sound too nitpicky... :O

Nope. I’m aware how many phaser arrays a Galaxy-class has. I've stated on several occasions that the system abstracts several items, including weapon emplacements. You're purchasing/constructing "arcs of coverage" or discreet groupings of weapons, not every phaser strip running along a ship.

I championed long and hard just to add multiple weapons and to separate phasers from photons--early drafts had each ship with one "weapon array" which reflected their entire offensive potential. I think we found a nice balance.

It’s like the Structure values that have been shown: People are taking issue with some of the figures without seeing the system in action. It’s quick, it’s slick, and it’s fun. It also recreates what you see on screen (IMO). Do you have to account for every item on your starship or count every phaser and torpedo on your vessel? No. If you want that (and to bring your RPG combat to a screeching halt) you’ll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the comments, Weyoun.
    Thank you for championing multiple-systems weapons rules. I suppose there's a question of added complexity, but the one-array rules system really would have sucked some of the Trek feel out of starship combat, IMO.

I'm going to guess that the six facings are forward, port, starboard, aft, dorsal, ventral? If so, do the three phaser arrays in the Constitution stats represent forward, port and starboard?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

Originally posted by Erik Filean
    Thank you for championing multiple-systems weapons rules. I suppose there's a question of added complexity, but the one-array rules system really would have sucked some of the Trek feel out of starship combat, IMO.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

"Fire photon torpedoes!"
    "Captain, we don't have torpedoes--just a 'weapons array.'"
    "Humm. Fire that, then."

I'm going to guess that the six facings are forward, port, starboard, aft, dorsal, ventral? If so, do the three phaser arrays in the Constitution stats represent forward, port and starboard?
    There is no tactical layer, hence no facings. But yes, your assumptions are correct. As a rule of thumb take the traditional number of weapons for a given facing and halve them for the Coda equivalents.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew