Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Anime' ??

Favourite Anime' ??

I'm curious to see how many anime' fans are out there, and what you like in it?

I generally like the stories and the quirky humour, also the colour and quality of the animation.

My fav's.......

Lodoss war (history )
    Ghost in a shell
    Patlabour 1 and 2.
    Robotech series.
    robotech southern cross.
    Ranma 1/2.
    Ruin explorers
    The slayers.

Super Ninja Team Gatcha Man!

G-Force baby!

All versions!

The fist ever Japanese team show, and the model for all team shows that came after...

-Macross II
    -Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    "Oh better far to live and die
    Under the brave black flag I fly,
    Than play a sanctimonious part
    With a pirate head and a pirate heart!"

I have quite a few.

Manzinger - which started the giant robot stories.

Gundam - the classic space war saga.

Macross - hey transformable robots.

Ghost in the Shell - Japanese cyberpunk rocks!
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Star Blazers.

Got hooked the second they were on my local tv station back in the days...nothing could pull me away and the show went on for like two years?! Thankfully I waited for the DVD's to come out, as you can now get the entire set of the first run, series one for a LOT less than the VHS, whew more money for Star Trek....

I love Gundam almost all series, Gatchaman, and Tenchi Muyo. Record of Lodoss War, Arc the Lad, Vandread and Gasaraki. I can't give a full approval on all of these, I haven't seen all of Gasaraki, Arc or Vandread (although Vandread looks like my new favorite mecha anime) I also like quirk with my seriousness, so that's why Vandread is taking Nadesico's place in my heart.

There are other series of course, but I think I would feel terrible if I couldn't collect these.

Lockhart

I am a fan of the American Robotech, but would love to see the original Japanese series

Love giant mecha, but Gundam Wing is too anti-climatic for me.

Gundams meet other mecha.

Gundams chop other mecha in half.

Repeat.
    Last edited by AslanC; 02-10-2002 at 03:02 PM.

Ghost in the Shell.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

In order (Non American butchering):
    PORCO ROSSO: What can I say, the mutts nuts. The best Miyazaki by a long way. A note for connouseurs, I've seen the French dub (where the voice of Marco Rosso is voiced by Jean Reno and it's way better than any other dub, including the Japanese one).
    MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO: Another Miyazaki, the story of two girls who move to the countryside with their father when their mother falls ill (it also has woodland spirits and a cat that looks like a bus). The wonderful thing about it is that the film would probably work well without all the fantastic elements in it.
    TENCHI MUYO IN LOVE: Yes the plot is pretty much ripped off Back to the Future but it's so damn good. It also has a strange ending but I can't really say to much about it because it kind of wrecks the film.
    LAPUTA: I want to go to Japan because apparantly there is going to be a Miyazaki museum with a life size Robot from Laputa (as well as the catbus thing from My Neighbour Totoro. Also the cartoon that got me into Anime when it was shown on British TV about 14 years ago (a friend of mine recently revealed that he taped it off TV all those years ago and copied it for me, it would have taken surgery to get the grin off my face).
    PRINCESS MONOMOKE: Yet another Miyazaki (yes, there is a pattern forming). Don't watch the crappy American version, try and get the Japanese dub, I got the DVD with the actual script (photocopied by a friend) so that I could figure out what the hell was going on.
    DOMINION TANK POLICE: I just got this on DVD and nearly wet myself laughing.
    AKIRA: Didn't actually like this very much.

Butchered American versions:
    ROBOTECH: The king of butchered American versions of Anime.
    BATTLE OF THE PLANETS: Couldn't sodding stand Seven Zark sodding Seven, good otherwise.

Finally, can someone answer me this question: was the excellent Thundercats (HOOOO!!!, sorry.) a butchered version of a Japanese series or something the Americans thought up.

I apologise about the length of this (oo-er!) but once you get me started on this subject it's difficult to stop me.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

Akira, Appleseed, Ghost in the Shell & Princess Monomoke for me...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Silverthorn: Never have seen it, but have been tempted whenever I see it in the rental store.

Ceop's over 7 zark 7????? your kidding right? Could'nt stand that little bugger.

Has anyone seen Evangelon? I've been curious about it, but my warbot quotient has reached my upper limit of interest.

I'm thinking of looking into some space navy stuff, for a change of pace........suggestion's?

Talking ANIME!!!

OK, as an occasional otaku, I'll list my favorites:[list=1][*]El Hazard, the Magnificent World OAVs 1 and 2.[*]Galaxy Fraulien Yuna[*]Irresponspible Captain Tylor series(imagine this crew in Starfleet!)[*]Magic Knight Rayearth TV series[*]Martian Successor Nadesico.[*]Project A-KO[*]Revolutionary Girl Utena[*]Saber Marionette J and J Again.[*]Sakura Wars[*]Slayers[*]Sol Bianca OAV[*]Tenchi Muyo OAV[/list=1]
    The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Lodoss War
    Robotech
    Gatchaman
    Ghost in the Shell
    Macross Plus
    Ninja Scroll
    Bubblegum Crisis

are my favs

Thumbs up Top Ten (No particular order.. How would I choose?)

These are the 10 that in my opinion, everyone should see at least once, preferably more often.

1.) Slayers, Slayers Next
    2.) Revolutionary Girl Utena
    3.) Serial Experiments Lain
    4.) Neon Genesis Evangelion
    5.) Martian Successor Nadesico
    6.) Princess Mononke
    7.) Escaflowne: A Girl in Gaea (IF you happened to see the unfortunetly dubbed version released currently in the US, make sure you eventually see the subtitled version. A lot of it was lost in the dubbing.)
    8.) Ghost in the Shell
    9.) Slayers Try
    10.) Record of Lodoss War (The Original! I really can't stand the newer one.)

Alison

1) Mononoke Hime
    2) Macross Plus
    3) Nausicaa
    4) El Hazard
    5) Serial Experiments Lain
    6) Parallel Dual
    7) Akira
    8) Bubblegum Crisis 2040
    9) Blood The Last Vampire (The story had too many holes in it, but the animation was really sweet...)
    10) Orguss 2
    ---------------------------
    "Well don't you have some ambition?"
    "Oh, yeah! Yeah. E-Flat diminished ninth."
    "Huh?"
    "Well, the E-Flat, it's, it's doable, but that diminished ninth, y'know, its a man's chord. Now, you could lose a finger."