Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OSCAR noms... a list for your commentary

Post OSCAR noms... a list for your commentary

I Got the list of Oscar nominees off of AICN... here they are... I'll post my editorial comments later.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    Russell Crowe - A BEAUTIFUL MIND

Sean Penn - I AM SAM

Will Smith - ALI

Denzel Washington - TRAINING DAY

Tom Wilkinson - IN THE BEDROOM

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Jim Broadbent - IRIS

Ethan Hawke - TRAINING DAY

Ben Kingsley - SEXY BEAST

Ian McKellen - LORD OF THE RINGS - FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

Jon Voight - ALI

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
    Halle Berry - MONSTER'S BALL

Judi Dench - IRIS

Nicole Kidman - MOULIN ROUGE

Sissy Spacek - IN THE BEDROOM

Renée Zellweger - BRIDGET JONES' DIARY

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Jennifer Connelly - A BEAUTIFUL MIND

Helen Mirren - GOSFORD PARK

Maggie Smith - GOSFORD PARK

Marisa Tomei - IN THE BEDROOM

Kate Winslet - IRIS

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
    JIMMY NEUTRON: BOY GENIUS

MONSTERS, INC.

SHREK

ART DIRECTION
    AMÉLIE - Aline Bonetto (Art Direction) -- Marie-Laure Valla (Set Decoration)

GOSFORD PARK - Stephen Altman (Art Direction) -- Anna Pinnock (Set Decoration)

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE - Stuart Craig (Art Direction) -- Stephenie McMillan (Set Decoration

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Grant Major (Art Direction) -- Dan Hennah (Set Decoration)

MOULIN ROUGE - Catherine Martin (Art Direction) -- Brigitte Broch (Set Decoration)

CINEMATOGRAPHY
    AMÉLIE - Bruno Delbonnel

BLACK HAWK DOWN - Slawomir Idziak

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Andrew Lesnie

THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE - Roger Deakins

MOULIN ROUGE - Donald M. McAlpine

COSTUME DESIGN
    THE AFFAIR OF THE NECKLACE - Milena Canonero

GOSFORD PARK - Jenny Beavan

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE - Judianna Makovsky

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor

DIRECTING
    A BEAUTIFUL MIND - Ron Howard

BLACK HAWK DOWN - Ridley Scott

GOSFORD PARK - Robert Altman

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Peter Jackson

MULHOLLAND DRIVE - David Lynch

Notice that both Baz Luhrmann of MOULIN ROUGE and Todd Field of IN THE BEDROOM - two movies nominated for Best Picture are without Best Director nominations... this pretty much assures that they will not win Best Picture.

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
    CHILDREN UNDERGROUND

LALEE'S KIN: THE LEGACY OF COTTON

MURDER ON A SUNDAY MORNING

PROMISES

WAR PHOTOGRAPHER

DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
    ARTISTS AND ORPHANS: A TRUE DRAMA

SING!

THOTH

FILM EDITING
    A BEAUTIFUL MIND - Mike Hill and Dan Hanley

BLACK HAWK DOWN - Pietro Scalia

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - John Gilbert

MEMENTO - Dody Dorn

MOULIN ROUGE - Jill Bilcock

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
    AMÉLIE

ELLING

LAGAAN

NO MAN'S LAND

SON OF THE BRIDE

MAKEUP
    A BEAUTIFUL MIND - Greg Cannom and Colleen Callaghan

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Peter Owen and Richard Taylor

MOULIN ROUGE - Maurizio Silvi and Aldo Signoretti

MUSIC (SCORE)
    A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE - John WIlliams

A BEAUTIFUL MIND - James Horner

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE - John Williams

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Howard Shore

MONSTERS, INC. - Randy Newman

Notice that the winner of this category at both the AFI and GOLDEN GLOBES - MOULIN ROUGE was not even nominated due to the amount of pre-existing musical content in the score.

MUSIC (SONG)
    KATE & LEOPOLD - "Until" Music and Lyric by Sting

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - "May It Be" Music and Lyric by Enya, Nicky Ryan and Roma Ryan

MONSTERS, INC. - "If I Didn't Have You" Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

PEARL HARBOR - "There You'll Be" Music and Lyric by Diane Warren

VANILLA SKY - "Vanilla Sky" Music and Lyric by Paul McCartney

Notice that "Come What May" from MOULIN ROUGE was not nominated, due to the song being written for Baz Luhrmann's ROMEO AND JULIET... Strange technicalities - same reason that "As Time Goes By" didn't win for CASABLANCA!

BEST PICTURE
    A BEAUTIFUL MIND

GOSFORD PARK

IN THE BEDROOM

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

MOULIN ROUGE

SHORT FILM -- ANIMATED
    FIFTY PERCENT GREY

FOR THE BIRDS

GIVE UP YER AUL SINS

STRANGE INVADERS

STUBBLE TROUBLE

SHORT FILM -- LIVE ACTION
    THE ACCOUNTANT

COPY SHOP

GREGOR'S GREATEST INVENTION

A MAN THING (Meska Sprawa)

SPEED FOR THESPIANS

SOUND
    AMÉLIE -

BLACK HAWK DOWN

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

MOULIN ROUGE

PEARL HARBOR

SOUND EDITING
    MONSTERS, INC.

PEARL HARBOR

VISUAL EFFECTS
    A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE - Dennis Muren, Scott Farrar, Stan Winston and Michael Lantieri

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Jim Rygiel, Randall William Cook, Richard Taylor and Mark Stetson

PEARL HARBOR - Eric Brevig, John Frazier, Ed Hirsh and Ben Snow

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
    A BEAUTIFUL MIND - Written by Akiva Goldsman

GHOST WORLD - Written by Daniel Clowes & Terry Zwigoff

IN THE BEDROOM - Screenplay by Rob Festinger and Todd Field

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - Screenplay by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson

SHREK - Written by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and Joe Stillman and Roger S.H. Schulman

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
    AMÉLIE - Screenplay by Guillaume Laurant and Jean-Pierre Jeunet; Dialogue by Guillaume Laurant

GOSFORD PARK - Written by Julian Fellowes

MEMENTO - Screenplay by Christopher Nolan; Story by Jonathan Nolan

MONSTER'S BALL - Written by Milo Addica & Will Rokos

THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS - Wes Anderson & Owen Wilson
    Hugh Casey
    My Online Journal

"Oh, bother," said the Borg, "We've assimilated Pooh."

Much as I'd like to see otherwise, I don't think LOTR can will all 13 awards it's nominated for. I suspect it'll sweep the technical categories and maybe best director; hopefully Ian McKellen will get best supporting actor.

I don't know if the Academy will pick it for best pic though...

As skeptical as I was about Lord of the Rings...if it doesn't win most of the stuff it's up for, something's wrong. Brilliantly done movie.

I did think Zellwiger did a great job in Bridget Jones...but against Densch..? Nah....
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I'm all for LOTR sweeping 13 awards but I doubt it. I've got a sneaking suspicion that Blackhawk Down will do well particularly with current world events, an award for Blackhawk Down will be the Academy's tribute to the war effort and I think Ridley Scott deserves an Oscar after missing out last year.
    Arise, arise, Riders of Theoden!
    Fell deed awake: fire and slaughter!
    Spear shall be shaken, shields be splintered,
    a sword-day, a red-day, ere the sun rises!
    Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Theoden King: The Return of the King

Arrow THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE OSCAR

I am praying for LOTR to win in the Best Picture category, even though A Beautiful Mind is the leading contender.

If anything, they should get the Oscar for the Best Visual Effect category.

Difficult choice but I go with Russell Crowe's performance in A Beautiful Mind over Sean Penn's performance in I Am Sam in the Best Leading Actor.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

"Son of the Bride" my fracking arse! "El Hijo de la Novia" is our first candidate for an Academy award since we won one in 1985.

LOTR will earn most technical awards, but not any of the big ones. That's my prediction.

Ah, and Amélie will win as a foreign language film.
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy

Argh *waves hand*

Just give all of 'em to LotR!

Seriously, I'm keeping everything crossed that LotR wins most of the 13, but I'm disappointed Viggo Mortensen, Sean Bean and Elijah Wood didn't rate a nomination for Best Actor/Supporting Actor.

Mind you, it was pretty hard to pick the performances apart, from a quality point of view -- all of them were sensational, even (dare I say it and eat my own words?) Liv Tyler.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

To tell the truth I am surprised that Black Hawk Down is one of the nominees. A good movie to be sure, but an Oscar for a movie that boils down to a 45 min gunfight?

If an Oscar is going to be given to movie for political reasons or "current" events, then I guess George C. Scott was right about his opinion of the Oscars.

All the other ones very good choices...Especially LoTR. Hope it does well.

I feel either vindicated in my choice of movies, or embarrassed. The only films I've seen on that long list are Shrek, Monsters Inc. (w/For the Birds) and Fellowship of the Ring. Of the rest of them I wanted to see A Beautiful Mind, but none of the others appealed to me in their previews/commercials enough to get my 6 bucks. Oh well, another year of not having my finger on the pulse of american culture.

Lockhart

Ya have to remember who your dealing with when it comes to the "Academy"...

LOTR will prob rack up a few wins, but look for "A BEAUTIFUL MIND" to steal the big one.

It's the type of film the "Hollywood Elites" like.

Black Hawk Down, while a good "war" movie, won't get much...very few war movies do.
    Wolf.

Originally posted by Phantom
    To tell the truth I am surprised that Black Hawk Down is one of the nominees. A good movie to be sure, but an Oscar for a movie that boils down to a 45 min gunfight?
    Thats all you got from this movie? The charaterization and interpersonnel relations with based on real persons (for example the Captain Steel character and his professional but negative attitiude toward Delta) was far more convinving and believable than the dreamt up situations and personalities of Platoon. If the Academy gave a best picture to Platoon which had far more firefights than Blackhawk down then you sure can bet they can and will give it Scott.

[b]
    If an Oscar is going to be given to movie for political reasons or "current" events, then I guess George C. Scott was right about his opinion of the Oscars.
    Truth is this is not the politics and current events Scott detested the Oscars for (and by the way he refused the nomination not the award). He hated the politcal infighting and snobbery which the award caused among actors of various talents and abilities and all this based on the era where the studio chiefs still played a big part in making sure the award got shared among themselves evenly.

In actuallity the academy has very rearly awarded the best picture and best director to the same film, typically it is split and some could even say that in fact the academy givces two best picture awards as a Best Director essentually means the same thing. Black hawk has two good marks and one bad mark for its case.

the bad is the academy is starting to get pissed with these limited release films so that movies can get nominate only a few weeks after they come out blowing better films from the start of the previous year out of the water thats way BlackHawk Down is not in the best movie catagory and a Beiutiful Mind will not win.

But is a good film deserving an award tahts why it is in the cinematogrphy and editing catagories it will win of these so that at the leats it can say it is an Academy Award Winning film. if does not win one of theese two then Scott has definenatly won for bets director.

And there is a wide feeling that Scott did get snubbed for Gladiator last year and that he is owed this one, much like Hanks was owed the Golden Globe for Castaway over Russels Crowes much superior performence, if you noticed they corrected that this year.

Has a fantasy or science fiction film ever received best picture, director, actor, actress, supporting actor, supporting actress? They seem to get nominated, but all they ever win is "best hairdo" or "best sound effects". I think LotR will come up empty in the "elite" categories.

While I'm near certain LotR will not receive best picture or director, Ian McKellen was Gandalf and will have been robbed if he doesn't receive best supporting actor. That said, I still suspect he won't win that one.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I just checked out the Ocars websight, and the best any SF/Fantasy film seems to gotten was awards for Ciematography or Costume Design.

Of course they usually didn't have many accomplished actors or directors involved with the project either.

Hmmm...Sci-Fi / Fantasy Oscars...

...let's have a look. I haven't gone further back than the 1950s, because I simply can't imagine SF/Fantasy being taken seriously prior to the mid-50s -- if I'm mistaken, and miss one, I apologise!

I've also taken a few liberties with the definition of "SF/Fantasy" to include some genre films like the Indiana Jones, some Gothic horror, etc.

Best Picture:
    <i>never</i>

Best Actor:
    <i>never</i>

Best Supporting Actor:
    <i>never</i>

Best Actress:
    <i>never</i>

Best Supporting Actress:
    (1968) Ruth Gordon - <i>ROSEMARY'S BABY </i> (Does that count...sort of?)

Best Director:
    <i>never</i>

Art Direction:
    (2000) Tim Yip - <i>CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON</i>
    (1999) Rick Heinrichs; Peter Young (Set Decoration) - <i>SLEEPY HOLLOW </i>
    (1989( Anton Furst; Peter Young (Set Decoration) - <i>BATMAN</i>
    (1981) Norman Reynolds, Leslie Dilley; Michael Ford (Set Decoration) - <i>RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK </i>
    (1978) John Barry, Norman Reynolds, Leslie Dilley; Roger Christian (Set Decoration) - <i>STAR WARS </i>
    (1966) Jack Martin Smith, Dale Hennesy; Walter M. Scott, Stuart A. Reiss (Set Decoration) - (Color) <i>FANTASTIC VOYAGE </i>

Cinematography:
    (2000) Peter Pau - <i>CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON </i>
    (1977) Vilmos Zsigmond - <i>CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND </i>

Costume Design:
    (1992) Eiko Ishioka - <i>BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA </i> (fantasy...sort of?)
    (1977 (78?)) John Mollo - <i>STAR WARS </i>

Film Editing:
    (1999) Zach Staenberg - <i>THE MATRIX</i>
    (1981) Michael Kahn - <i>RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK</i>
    (1977) Paul Hirsch, Marcia Lucas, Richard Chew - <i>STAR WARS</i>

Makeup:
    (1997) Rick Baker, David LeRoy Anderson - <i>MEN IN BLACK</i>
    (1992) Greg Cannom, Michele Burke, Matthew W. Mungle - <i>BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA </i>
    (1991) Stan Winston, Jeff Dawn - <i>TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY </i>
    (1988) Ve Neill, Steve La Porte, Robert Short - <i>BEETLEJUICE</i>
    (1986) Chris Walas, Stephan Dupuis - <i>THE FLY</i>
    (1968) John Chambers - <i>PLANET OF THE APES</i>

Music (Original Score)
    (2000) Tan Dun - <i>CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON</i>
    (1982) John Williams - <i>E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL</i>
    (1977) John Williams - <i>STAR WARS</i>
    (1976) Jerry Goldsmith - <i>THE OMEN</i>

Sound:
    (1999) John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff, David Campbell, David Lee - <i>THE MATRIX</i>
    (1993) Gary Summers, Gary Rydstrom, Shawn Murphy, Ron Judkins - <i>JURASSIC PARK</i>
    (1991) Tom Johnson, Gary Rydstrom, Gary Summers, Lee Orloff - <i>TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY</i>
    (1982) Robert Knudson, Robert Glass, Don Digirolamo, Gene Cantamessa - <i>E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL</i>
    (1981) Bill Varney, Steve Maslow, Gregg Landaker, Roy Charman - <i>RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK</i>
    (1980) Bill Varney, Steve Maslow, Gregg Landaker, Peter Sutton - <i>THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK</i>
    (1977) Don MacDougall, Ray West, Bob Minkler, Derek Ball - <i>STAR WARS</i>

Visual Effects:
    (1999) John Gaeta, Janek Sirrs, Steve Courtley, Jon Thum - <i>THE MATRIX</i>
    (1996) Volker Engel, Douglas Smith, Clay Pinney, Joseph Viskocil - <i>INDEPENDENCE DAY</i> (Ugh! I didn't realise ID4 got an Oscar! How embarrassing!)
    (1993) Dennis Muren, Stan Winston, Phil Tippett, Michael Lantieri - <i>JURASSIC PARK</i>
    (1991) Dennis Muren, Stan Winston, Gene Warren, Jr., Robert Skotak - <i>TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY</i>
    (1990) Special Achievement Award: Visual Effects
    Eric Brevig, Rob Bottin, Tim McGovern, Alex Funke - <i>TOTAL RECALL</i>
    (1989) John Bruno, Dennis Muren, Hoyt Yeatman, Dennis Skotak - <i>THE ABYSS</i>
    (1987) Dennis Muren, William George, Harley Jessup, Kenneth Smith - <i>INNERSPACE</i>
    (1986) Robert Skotak, Stan Winston, John Richardson, Suzanne Benson - <i>ALIENS</i>
    (1985) Ken Ralston, Ralph McQuarrie, Scott Farrar, David Berry - <i>COCOON</i>
    (1984) Dennis Muren, Micheal McAlister, Lorne Peterson, George Gibbs - <i>INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM</i>
    (1983) Special Achievement Award: Visual Effects
    Richard Edlund, Dennis Muren, Ken Ralston, Phil Tippett - <i>RETURN OF THE JEDI</i>
    (1982) Carlo Rambaldi, Dennis Muren, Kenneth F. Smith - <i>E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL</i>
    (1981) Richard Edlund, Kit West, Bruce Nicholson, Joe Johnston - <i>RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK</i>
    (1980) Special Achievement Award: Visual Effects
    Brian Johnson, Richard Edlund, Dennis Muren, Bruce Nicholson - <i>THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK</i>
    (1979) H.R. Giger, Carlo Rambaldi, Brian Johnson, Nick Allder, Denys Ayling - <i>ALIEN</i>
    (1978) Special Achievement Award: Visual Effects
    Les Bowie, Colin Chilvers, Denys Coop, Roy Field, Derek Meddings, Zoran Perisic - <i>SUPERMAN</i>
    (1977) John Stears, John Dykstra, Richard Edlund, Grant McCune, Robert Blalack - <i>STAR WARS</i>
    (1976) Special Achievement Award: Visual Effects
    Carlo Rambaldi, Glen Robinson, Frank Van der Veer - <i>KING KONG</i>
    L. B. Abbott, Glen Robinson, Matthew Yuricich - <i>LOGAN'S RUN</i>
    (1968) Stanley Kubrick - <i>2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY</i>
    (1967) L. B. Abbott - <i>DOCTOR DOLITTLE</i>
    (1966 - what an absolutely superb year...) Art Cruickshank - <i>FANTASTIC VOYAGE</i>

Ye gods...that's all I can be bothered looking at for now; I've just missed an entire episode of DS9 while going thru the Oscars site!

Feel free to add anything I missed (I'm sure <i>Wizard of Oz</i> should be in for a few, but as I said, I didn't bother looking prior to 1950)
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Arrow

I just noticed that Pearl Harbor didn't make into any of the best pictures or performing actor/actress categories.

I also noticed that the first Harry Potter film is not nominated for adapted screenplay.

Perhaps they should add a live-action children's picture categories.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer