Thread: Flint

Post Flint

The Immortal Human from TOS's "Requiem for Methuselah," remember?

I'm writing a campaign/story in which a Flint-like NPC will play a major role, and I'm wondering...

Are there existing statistics for Flint?

Anybody have ideas for how I should go about creating stats and skills for somebody like this? I mean, I don't want to make him into a God-like being (in fact, as his part of the story begins, he's lost his memory), but I want to make it clear that there's something about him.

What would the natural advantages/disadvantages of an immortal be?

------------------
    "Guchk *Cough* muu ougtgha hrrgh!" -- Cmdr. An-tule Lemayan, USS Boadicea
    "I'd have to say that's the worst case of smuush I've ever seen." -- Dr. Sonachai Smith, CMO, USS Boadicea

What would the natural advantages/disadvantages of an immortal be?

Good Question. If you figure the NPC has been around for centuries(or millenia) he will have a ton of skills. Like Flint in "Requiem. . . " he will have tried many different trades. A good way to work it is to decide how long he's been alive, and figure on a new skill or trade for every 50 years. Give him the skills for such a trade, and move on.

For attributes, just give him edges, don't increase his base scores. For advantages, I would go along the lines of having great sense of personal survival. He would need it after living that long. Maybe some heightened natural abilities as well. Most disadvantatges would have to be along the lines of mental, for instance he would be a nasty cynic. Having seen sentient beings stumbling around doing the same thing century after century would make a person a bitter creature. He wouldn't be able to form attachments to anyone else(See the movie Highlander for this problem) since they will eventually grow old and die.

A few other personality quirks would work well as disadvantages as well.
    I hope that this helps a bit for what you needed.

------------------
    The pain, the pain. I think a neuron
    just short circuited. *thud*

[This message has been edited by Lolth-org (edited 01-06-2001).]

Ah, Flint. Hailed by some as the perfect example of how Highlander-style immortals can be introduced into Trek...

And that would be the best way to handle him IMO. As they do the immortals of the Highlander TV series and movies. These guy has been around for centuries (some even for millennia). They are masters at hiding themselves among the masses. They have resources thast would be incalculable to any but the most avaricious Ferengi ("I dunno, I can imagine a lot!"). Skills themselves could be quite hard to assign without the character becoming a game-stopping unbalanced monstrosity. Personally, I'd just give physical stats and a few skills that are pertinent to the adventure and leave it at that. The character's actual skill list would be almost as long as his history...

------------------
    Doug Burke

McCoy: "You're taking me to the promised land?"
    Kirk: "That's what you get for missing staff meetings, Doctor."