Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best and Worst TV shows (non Trek) (SPOILER)

Disclaimer: I am just writing what I feel, and I don't intend to make any claims that you have to agree with me.

Best Shows ON AIR currently:

1)Andromeda: VERY good, I actually care about and am interested in fates of the people, FX are so-so, but in true honor to Roddenberry, it is about people.

2)The Man Show: Adam, Jimmy, Beer and Girls jumping on Trampolines. I have to have my mindless don't take it seriously fun.

3)Iron Chef: If you don't have the Food Network, get it for this show.

Honorable mention: Beat the Geeks, Win Ben Steins Money,Whose Line? (BOTH),South Park, Cowboy Bebop, West Wing, New Detectives,Becker, King of Queens and CSI.

Best NOT ON AIR Currently:

Babylon 5: Enough said.

SeaQuest: Seasons 1 and 3 rocked, 2 needed work, but was more better than not.

Martial Law: Seaon 1, awesome martial arts cop comedy. Season, made into dark and gritty, ugh. Bring back Sammo with the season one attitude, funny is better.

Brisco County Junior: Do I have to justify this one?? It was cut down far too soon.

Honorable mention: MST3K,Space Above and Beyond, Dilbert the Animated Series,That's My Bush and Northern Exposure.

Worst currently ON AIR:

7th Heaven: Don't get me started.....

Ally McBeal: Can't get into it, shallow people with no depth or sympathy.

Reality TV: Survivor, Big Brother, 5th wheel, Temptaion Island, Blind Date, all this crap burger TV has to go on without me.

Honorable Mention: Talk TV, PrimeTime Glick, soaps, etc.........

Worst currently NOT ON AIR:

Hercules: Too non traditional for me, liked the action pack movies, hated the series.

Walker Teaxas Ranger: Should have died after first episode, sadly, didnot, rest of family loved show, pure torture.

Who's The Boss?: Hated Danza on Taxi, to base ashow around him, and then to be stuck in a one TV household, at a young age, scars run deep, mustn't hate, but the scars..... ARRRRRGH!

Honorable mention: Too many to list, and they are gone now anyway.

I may not know art, but I know what I like, this is just an opinion, na dis in no way meant to influence.

As for Enterprise, it was not mentioned because it is Trek, but I love it, it is third after DS9 and TOS in my favorites.

Wow, I feel better now,
    Homer

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Best (currently on air only):
    1) CSI - Quincy for the 2000s.
    2) Becker - Started watching it for Terry Farrell but stayed for Danson's sarcasm. (And Terry and Shawnee...)
    3) Gilmore Girls - Lauren Graham!!!!

HM: ED, ER, Boston Public. (Not ranked due to issues with current season)

Worst (currently on air only):
    1) Blackfly - This would make Ishtar look like a classic. How did Colin Mochry(sp?) get forced into doing this crap?
    2) That 70s show - I won't go into the reasons. I don't have all day.
    3) That 80s show - see above; add six more days.
    4) Southpark - Not just because of the Blame Canada thing. It is just so juvenile.
    5) The Tick - At least they could not say it wasn't given a chance. It was not cancelled after 1-2 eps.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Best:

Friends - Eight years and still going strong... the show manages to find ways to stay fresh and invigorating.

ER - Just like friends, still going strong.

The X Files - It had an awkward period during it's eight season but now it's back on track. It's a shame so many people are "Duchovny or no show" types.

Family Guy - Hilarious.

Andromeda - Fascinating storylines and I care about the characters.

Enterprise - A nice look at the beginning of the saga.

Roswell - A show still finding itself and managing to be innovative while using story arcs and individual episodes.

Originally posted by Caretaker
    Best:

Roswell - A show still finding itself and managing to be innovative while using story arcs and individual episodes.
    And how about the actor who played Sloan as the sherriff. Hmmm, maybe 31 had an earlier start then everyone thinks.

Andromeda is my favorite show still being made. The Tick had a really strange, quirky humor and was a lot of fun, and I'm sorry to see it go.

I have no idea what the worst shows on TV are. If I don't like it, I don't watch it or waste any time trying to figure out which one is worst.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Originally posted by Caretaker
    Unfortunately it is nearly over. Majandra Delfino is reported to have said it has been all but cancelled.
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

Arrow A CONTRADICTION IN PROGRESS...

And yet, Willaim Sadler (Roswell's ex-Sheriff Valenti, aka DS9's Sloane) says the set is being overhauled.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Re: A CONTRADICTION IN PROGRESS...

Originally posted by REG
    And yet, Willaim Sadler (Roswell's ex-Sheriff Valenti, aka DS9's Sloane) says the set is being overhauled.
    I hope he's right. Although it took me some time to get into this show, I would hate to see it disappear.

Here is the link I was referring to:
    http://www.canoe.ca/AllPopShowbiz/fe...swell-can.html

Do you have Sadler's link?
    Dante Alighieri

Sandra

Talking

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Best non-Trek on air...

Farscape -- excellent sci-fi, and one of the few non-Trek, non-SW sci-fi shows I've really enjoyed in the last 10 years.

Law & Order (original, CI, SVU) -- Fantastic crime drama, and with excellent ensemble casts. Diane Wiest was an excellent choice to replace Stephen Hill as the DA!

CSI -- I agree, 21st C. Quincy.

ER -- Starting to slip...too many things are starting to get sappy...why kill Marc off? The show has been so successful, I think they're just trying too hard to keep it there.

NYPD Blue -- I used to hate this show with a passion, but decided to give it a chance when Jimmy Smits joined the cast. Now I watch it religiously. They got it right when they finally centered it around Dennis Franz.

West Wing -- Hey, I'm a Martin Sheen fan. What do you want? The show is good, even though they're all Democrats...

Who's Line is it Anyway? -- I usually end up nearly busting a seam watching this show.

Secret Adventures of Jules Verne -- Okay, it's not technically on the air, but they're running eps on my local WB station. I'm a huge fan of Frank Chadwick's Space:1889 game (and have been working on a d20 conversion for it), and SAJV catches the feel for Victorian sci-fi perfectly IMO. I was extremely disappointed when Sci-Fi Channel dropped it.

Thieves -- It's no longer on the air, only lasting half a season, but it was funny, witty, and had a lot of potential to be the next Moonlighting/Mod Squad/Avengers. ABC ticked me off on this one.

Worst on-air:

Anything "reality" -- Come on, give me a break here. If this is reality, I'm glad I'm not a part of it.

Modern Sit-Coms -- With rare exceptions (Seinfeld was tolerable sometimes), most sitcoms that last more than a season or two seem to appeal to the lowest common denomenator. And that just doesn't work for me. So, no Friends for me.

That doesn't mean that I don't like all sitcoms. I loved Working in it's first season (Fred Savage's first "adult" show, and proved he was a decent actor), but it got too silly in season two (mainly because some of the characters changed and the chemistry was lost). Drew Carey was great for a number of years, but has also become too silly in recent seasons. Similar problem with Spin City, but that was because I got tired of the direction they were heading with Michael J. Fox's character (I did watch his last ep, tho. ).

Another sitcom I really liked was Sportsnight (partially because it was centered around a, well, sports show). Both seasons were pretty good, but they just didn't get the ratings to continue (a shame, I think, but that's the way many of my favorite shows go).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

As quoted by Sea Tyger
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Secret Adventures of Jules Verne -- Okay, it's not technically on the air, but they're running eps on my local WB station. I'm a huge fan of Frank Chadwick's Space:1889 game (and have been working on a d20 conversion for it), and SAJV catches the feel for Victorian sci-fi perfectly IMO. I was extremely disappointed when Sci-Fi Channel dropped it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How the frell could I have forgotten SAJV, the best ever TV show, bar none (do you get the feeling that I liked it). Man, it's so good that in the cross table Star Trek game I'm running one of the players has her character spend time on the Holodeck basically playing Rebecca (at present I'm running a chunk of the episode 'Queen Victoria and the Giant Mole', the really fun thing being that the character's a Caitian and the player hasn't seen any episodes of the show.
    He's an underprivileged skateboarding cowboy with nothing left to lose. She's a sharp-shooting goth bounty hunter who believes she is the reincarnation of an ancient Egyptian queen. They fight crime!

In no numbered order the best

Combat Missions (USA) - I hate reality TV but this has completely won me over.

My Wife and Kids (ABC) - Waynes is the modern Cosby with this show.

Scrubs (NBC) - Wake up newbies and realize how incrediably great this show is.

Six Feet Under (HBO) - There is no such thing as a TV Taboo anymore!

Sopranos (HBO) - Worried after a somewhat mediocre third season, but hopefull with the full year and half hiatus between seasons.

Third Watch (NBC) - getting better even though the middle of this season got way to dark for me.

Will and Grace (NBC) - Excellant writting and no political agenda

Honorable mentions - King of Queens, CSI, Crossing Jordan, Enterprise, and Drew Carry

Disappointments - these are show I can't say are the worst but were have turned into disappointments and have eventually turned me off.

X Files, NYPD Blue, Law and Order, Malcum in the Middle, West Wing, Darma & Greg,

Best:
    Farscape (never miss it when it's new ones.)
    The O'Reilly Factor (don't always agree with him, but he's balanced...something the other networks aren't.)
    Babylon 5 (for me, the bet sci-fi show ever done to date.)

Worst:
    LEXX (utter crap. Only watched a few.)
    Voyager (drek, with the one episode a season worth watching.)
    Don't watch enough to name more.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I am limited my picks to series that are in my interest spectrum. I will avoid rating anything that I wouldn't watch under the best of circumstances.

Despite the numbers the picks aren't in any particular order.

Still Great:

1. Farscape (Great plot, interesting characters, and pretty good continuity)
    2. Lexx (An often irreverant look at everything through a sci-fi lens - this season its the USA that gets the spotlight...)
    3. Stargate SG-1 (see Farscape above for my thoughts)
    4. Dark Angel (The First Season kicked butt, the second one languished a bit but has picked up towards the finale).
    5. Smallville (Started strong but the Villian of the Week formula is going to get old fast, especially with a small town as the setting).

Waning but Marginally Good.

1. Buffy (The plot is getting too cyclic and a tad predicadable...)
    2. X-Files (I am rather glad its ending since the last season is barely keeping my interest).
    3. Special Unit 2 (I like the humour, so sue me . Too bad the plots weren't as interesting as the one-liners).

Dislike

1. The Lost World (I am a sucker for the Pulp age but not even that could get me to like this series... blech).
    2. Andromeda (I have a feeling its trying to be the next Babylon 5 - however the lack of interesting aliens, plots, or characters kills it for me).
    3. Mutant X (This cross between the X-Men and the Matrix does little for me - standard episodic garbage without even recognizable heroes to interest me)
    4. Earth: Final Conflict (I actually liked this program but this last season is pure drek. I expected so much more after the last season too...)

My Fave of the Dead Series (and often Obscure)

1. Max Headroom (I loved the series for some strange reason)
    2. Millennium (A great spinoff of the XFiles Universe until poor decisions came up with the drek that was season three)
    3. VR5 (Despite the impossible tech, it grabbed my interest with its X-Files-ish episodic format.)
    4. Babyon 5 (Metaplots at their best...)
    5. Brisco County Junior (Bruce Campbell - Nuff said).
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by qerlin
    Best:
    Farscape (never miss it when it's new ones.)
    The O'Reilly Factor (don't always agree with him, but he's balanced...something the other networks aren't.)
    HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Boy, if I had a dollar for every time O'Reilly threw a liberal off his show or told someone who didn't agree with him to "Shut up!" I'd be a bloody millionaire !

Rent or buy the documentary Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War On Journalism and you'll see how "fair and balanced" the network really is.
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers