Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best and Worst TV shows (non Trek) (SPOILER)

Actually, I now have a new list of best on TV...

Hands down -- the best new show is Rescue Me. Simply phenomenal writing and acting.
    #2: The Shield ...another F/X show.
    #3: Battlestar Galactica ...as good as the old one was bad.

The worst: undoubtably 30 Days . A great premise that is immediately compromised by the producer's biases. Not surprising considering his Supersize Me was anti-corporatist crap (his favorite word.)
    #2: Just about every SciFi made for TV movie.
    #3: Don't watch enough to know much more than that...

Best:
    I'll save space and say "The Friday nite Sci-Fi line-up"

Justice League Unlimited- As a comic geek, this is a given

NCIS---Only Cbs would make a 'family-friendly' version of one of it's own shows (CSI)

Oh, CSI's and Laws and orders (Exception: LaO: Trial by Jury)

The Whedon shows (Buffy, Angel, and Firefly)

Worst:

Andromeda (I loved the first couple of seasons, but i have no fricken idea whats going on now)

Most Reality shows (Exception MTV's Fear....the whole show was the premise for a bad horror movie waitning to happen)

Mutant X (yeah, I know i'm the comic geek, but knowing what they had planned, and what we got, it depresses me!)

My best of list:

Stargate SG-1
    Battlestar Galactica (the new one, of course)
    Boston Legal
    Empire
    Carnivale (recently cancelled )
    "The American Eagle needs both a right wing and a left wing in order to fly."
    -paraphrase of Bill Moyers

My Must Watch List:

Justice League Unlimited
    Alias (even though its starting to suck hard)
    Battlestar Galactica
    Smallville

Most hated

ANY Reality TV Show
    ANY Pop Idol-style Show
    I love deadlines - I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by
    - The late Douglas Adams

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger
    Best on-air:

Farscape
    Law & Order (original, CI, SVU)
    CSI
    ER
    NYPD Blue
    West Wing
    Who's Line is it Anyway?
    Secret Adventures of Jules Verne
    Thieves

Worst on-air:

Anything "reality"
    Modern Sit-Coms
    Well, I last posted on this thread over three years ago (is Methuselah hiding around in here or something? )!

So, how have things changed for me since then?

Let's see,

Best:
    NCIS -- this has replaced er and CSI on my schedule. They built some great chemistry with the crew, but I was shocked by Kate's death. Now I have to be sure to watch the season opener to find out what the hell's going on!

West Wing -- This is my favorite show on television.

Law & Order and L&O: CI -- Both shows are still top-notch. I'm not sure about Borja at this point (just don't like her style) on L&O, but I love the fact that Dennis Farina is on the show. Looking forward to Fontana and Green building a good chemistry between them.

CI is going to a different format, with Chris Noth returning as Mike Logan to split lead duties with Vincent D'Onofrio (apparently, Logan and his partner will be doing half the shows, and Goran and Reems {sp?} will do the other half). I'm looking forward to it.

Crossing Jordan -- I've been a Jill Hennessey fan since her L&O days, so I was sure to catch her new vehicle from Day 1. I'm a little tired of them messing with Jordan and Woody's relationship (it seems that most shows just don't want to build a regular relationship between the main characters...they just haveto screw with them too much), but I otherwise love the show. It certainly makes Sunday nights pretty regular.

Of course, I wonder what NBC's going to do with the Sunday lineup in the Fall of 2006, when they get their Sunday night NFL game.

MXC -- Yeah, it's sophomoric most of the time. But, it's hilarious, too. They just need to put out more "new" episodes (of course, I guess that all depends on how much usable Takeshi's Castle footage is left ).

(Of course, all of the above takes a back seat to my sports -- major league baseball, college and NFL football, hockey {yeah, it still exists, apparently }, rugby and, occasionally, lacross and cricket.)

Worst:
    Still anything Reality -- 'Nuff said.

Still modern sitcoms -- My sitcom watching has decreased to 'nil since 2002, especially since "Whos Line..." is now only in reruns (which is still watch regularly on ABC Family).
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Talking

I can't believe someone revived a thread that I once replied three years ago.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by REG
    I can't believe someone revived a thread that I once replied three years ago.
    You can blame Ezri and his inappropriately-placed political commentary.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Well, so far, I haven't liked "O'Really." His latest slight includes mispronouncing our state Governor (How the effin' hell did he get "Lin-gell" from "Lingle"???) and singling out Hawaii as one of the states with poor enforcement of child protection law.

I hate to say this but he makes his rival Al Franken look good, and even I don't care for him either.
    Anyhoo, just some random thoughts...

"My philosophy is 'you don't need me to tell you how to play -- I'll just provide some rules and ideas to use and get out of your way.'"
    -- Monte Cook

"Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game: they're problems with the players."
    -- excerpt from Guardians of Order's Role-Playing Game Manifesto

A GENERATION KIKAIDA fan

DISCLAIMER: I Am Not A Lawyer

BEST

Dark Angel
    Pretender ummmmm Jarod
    Relic Hunter

WORST

Smallville
    Charmed
    Reality TV
    Last edited by Dax; 09-14-2005 at 02:43 AM.
    Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?
    The same thing that happens to everything else.

Storm - X Men The Movie

Hmmmmm....

Best:

Not showing: B5, although the last series struggled, but with reasons.
    Showing: Nothing REALLY grabs me at the moment I am sorry to say.

Worst:

Smallville sucks. Mutant X, sorry but it just seemed a bit of a struggle for me to get a handle on, and ANY un-reality TV shows

Cheers

Tas
    "Wherever you go....there you are!"