Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened to a new ship every week?

The problem is that they don't want to spoil all the surprises in the book. Though it would be nice to see the Defiant. I was thinking that the next preview should be the Excelsior class and then after that the Ambassador class.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Wow, I've never seen this many of us in agreement on something.

Well I put my vote in for, you guessed it, any Romulan vessels you might have in mind.

Originally posted by tonyg
    Wow, I've never seen this many of us in agreement on something.
    Which will likely only last until the PB is released and we'll all either love/loath/be indifferent to the new system

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

I really, really, REALLY hope they'll change the relative superstructure strengths of the ships. I just can't buy the concept of the Constitution having more hull strength than the Galaxy. Of course, I'll reserve judgement for when I'll have the actual product in my hands... and if I don't like a tidbit here or there, I'll change it!
    "Oh better far to live and die
    Under the brave black flag I fly,
    Than play a sanctimonious part
    With a pirate head and a pirate heart!"

I don't know, this isn't that unbelievable. Bigger ships usually mean less compact systems, and less reinforcement. Besides, compare the beating the Enterprise-A takes from the Reliant in STII with the beating the Enterprise-D takes from the B'rel in STVII. The D isn't obviously able to limp away, especially with the coolant leak.

Lockhart

of course you could rationalize anything to suit the stats; let's take the Defiant as an example : less than half the size of a small cruiser but 10 times the firepower. But to use a SW analogy, if you had a Super Star Destroyer with less hull points than a Mon Calamari cruiser, eyebrows would rise a la Spock . Ok, you could argue that all it took for the Super SD in ROTJ to go bust was a single A-wing crashing in the bridge. But still, the you would expect the Super SD to have a significantly higher superstructure strength.

Gee, am I the only person here who thinks this is wrong? Well in the end it isn't a huge deal since my policy is "don't like - stop complaining and re-write it!", but I am curious.
    Last edited by Doktor Evil; 02-28-2002 at 07:12 AM.
    "Oh better far to live and die
    Under the brave black flag I fly,
    Than play a sanctimonious part
    With a pirate head and a pirate heart!"

I don't have a problem simply because the TNG Tech Manual goes on at great length about how important the structural integrity field is. As far as I can make out, if a Galaxy class tried to move without the SIF turned on, the nacelles would fall off, and the saucer would collapse in an instant. And to support that, IIRC in Generations, the bridge wound up rather close to the ground for something that sits on top of something that size! I wouldn't have wanted to be in the lower decks during the landing...

I suspect the Connies are a little tougher than that!

But I agree the numbers do look a little odd at first glance!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

I think Imagus is onto something there. According to the TNG TECH Maual, the alaxy-class ships can't even hold together without the SIF. Constituin class ships were more robust.

Maybe CODA might have some sort of adjustment for the SIF, or it could be factored into the shields.

It is sort of like comparing a WWII Battlecrusier to a WWII Aircraft Carrier. The carrier was larger,/more massive, but the Crusier could take more of a pounding.

Originally posted by Imagus
    I don't have a problem simply because the TNG Tech Manual goes on at great length about how important the structural integrity field is.
    THAT is an excellent point. I'd forgotten about that.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by Lockhart
    I don't know, this isn't that unbelievable. Bigger ships usually mean less compact systems, and less reinforcement. Besides, compare the beating the Enterprise-A takes from the Reliant in STII with the beating the Enterprise-D takes from the B'rel in STVII. The D isn't obviously able to limp away, especially with the coolant leak.

Lockhart
    Lockhart,

I agree to disagree...

The Enterprise (refit - not Ent-A) took a beating from the Reliant, and limped away with main power down and a coolant leak. The crew of the Reliant was not as experienced as a veteran Klingon crew, but had detailed schematics of the Constitution Refit Class.

The Enterprise-D took a beating from a Klingon D-12 (not B'Rel AFAIK) BOP, that held the Ent-D's chief engineer as a trump card. The Klingon crew was experienced, and new exactly where and how to strike the Ent-D to take her out.

I don't feel that this is a fair comparison.

Personally, I think that the battle between the Ent-D and the D-12 was a real let down, there was no build up...not like the battles in ST2:TWOK.

One other things...hull structure is irrelevant if you score a critical hit. See the posting about the SW SSD being knocked out by an A-Wing. If the game is designed properly, you can recreate these cinematic moments. You can also factor the SIF into the hull structure if you do it right...

I also think that one thing is overlooked time and time again, is that certain ships, let's call them "Hero" ships outperform all other ships of the same class. Heck, they outperform ships of much better classes. How do you portray this in game terms? You take into account the crews of the "Hero" ships. You create a system that allows certain perks for ships. Any other Ideas?

Later!
    Art Braune
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/startrek-directhit/

OK I guess I will stick my two cents in here since everyone else is The way I look at it someone said something about the saucer collapsing on the D when it landed... Two points about that. One thing I was thinking is that it dug into the ground and didn't collapse, but rather there is a LOT of dirt that came over the front. I mean it is mentioned that no one was killed in the landing so I would assume this is more what happened. Another thing is that the Galaxy is not constructed as a warship, where the Connies were more or less a battle cruiser. Times were different then. I personally think that it's ludacrous (spelled wrong I am sure he he) for the connies to take more of a beating than the Galaxy for sheer size. I mean sheesh when ya shoot at something that large it can take more - shoot a pop can with a bb gun... Now shoot that same bb gun at a 2 liter of soda. Which one looses more structure when ya hit it? I don't think Starfleet would construct a ship that would collapse without any SIF either. That really wouldn't be safe. I mean sheesh how many times have the sif systems gone almost down - and they DO go down on one episode I watched the other day. I think I will have to take a look at all of it when it comes out of course, and see what it says - that is of course if I ever get it here in the back woods of WV It's hard tellin when it will get here lol. At any rate, I am axious to see.
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

How about DS9 or the Rio Grande?

NeghVar,

Funny you should mention the fact that some ships outperform others. SPACEDOCK has some rules that reflect this, allowing characters to spend courage points to get increased effects.