Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress Update

Here goes again

With advancements being so related to characters ability, and a brief remark made by either Don or Ross (Can't remember which) will we be seeing more adventure style supplements (4 to 6 per book) from Decipher than there was for Icon?

>>With advancements being so related to characters ability, and a brief remark made by either Don or Ross (Can't remember which) will we be seeing more
    adventure style supplements (4 to 6 per book) from Decipher than there was for Icon?<<

Advancements are no different from experience points. If you want a new professional ability, you use up three advancement picks. If you want a new edge, use two picks. I'm not sure I agree that advancements are "so related" to characters. Then again, I'm not enirely sure what you mean.

That aside, there are no current plans to put out a lot of adventure supplements. We have some stuff in mind that I can't talk about here or now.

You should be able to play using adventures of your own design and gain experience points, and advance your characters. The process has changed, but the central core—gaining experience and making your character better—remains the same.

Yours,

Ross A. Isaacs

Originally posted by Kronok
    BOW CHICKA BOW BOW!!!

At least I'm not the only sick puppy here

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    Advancements are no different from experience points. If you want a new professional ability, you use up three advancement picks. If you want a new edge, use two picks. I'm not sure I agree that advancements are "so related" to characters. Then again, I'm not enirely sure what you mean.

That aside, there are no current plans to put out a lot of adventure supplements. We have some stuff in mind that I can't talk about here or now.
    When you put it that way, it doesn't sound all that different from ICON advancement. It certainly doesn't sound as rigid as 2nd ed AD&D.

Adventure supplements are always good, so I'll be interested to see what's planned. Any chance you might actually publish the continuation of The Neutral Zone Campaign?

OK, so maybe you can't say, which is OK

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

>>When you put it that way, it doesn't sound all that different from ICON advancement. It certainly doesn't sound as rigid as 2nd ed AD&D. <<

It was purposely designed to not be rigid (after a great deal of prompting by Dan Moppin). When you earn 1000 XP, you can "advance" your character. You get 5 picks to use on various character abilities. You can increase your skill level, add a specialty, improve stats, gain new edges, improve renown, and other stuff. This way, we get all the fun of a level up system (because Ryan Dancey is right, gamers like to level up) along with all of the fun of a "point-build" XP system.

As many other things, it's not all that different from the Icon System; it's expressed differently with a lot of new tweaks. Once you see the new game, you'll spend a lot of time saying "Oh, this is like that in the Icon System."

Yours,

Ross A. Isaacs
    (Who's disappointed in the way Red Alert is moving)

(because Ryan Dancey is right, gamers like to level up) along with all of the fun of a "point-build" XP system.

Much as I really hate to admit it, I'm inclined to agree. There is something rather more satisfying and exciting about finally going up a 'level'. It's certainly, from my point of view, more exciting than getting a small handful of skill points after an adventure.

I was kind of resistant to this at first, but the more I think about it, the more it grows on me.

Re: Progress Update

I know you all sent in lots of questions after I dropped into a nebula and my comm systems were out, and I want to thank Don Mappin for posting an alert about my status. That Don is a wonderful guy. If you have questions that I have not answered, please repeat them here. I'll get to them asap.
    Well, there's a question I asked in the other coda forum that hasn't been answered yet. The url is here:

http://forum.lotrrpg.net/showthread....&threadid=3664

Thanks for the update, Ross.

Lockhart

>>Is the Narrator's Guide going to allow for new technology, even that which has never been seen on the shows? Kind of like guidelines for producing costs for new effects. For example, if I want to create a highly efficient warp drive by using some new technobabble for a Movie Series campaign, does the book help me set a 'cost' for the new drive?<<

That's beyond the scope of the Narrator's Guide. It's a neat idea, but would have taken up too much space. Right now, the Narrator's Guide handles conventional Star Trek ship technology seen in the shows. But that doesn't preclude this kind of approach in the big technology sourcebook.

>> And given that we should be able to construct any ship ever seen with the rules in the NG... are we going to also see starship recognition manuals?<<

Definitely yes.

Yours,

Ross A. Isaacs

Now here is a weird idea. How about a Starfleet Source book.

Normally in a Startrek game we get a litle bit about Starfleet and it's functions, departments, etc, spread out over 6 or 7 books.

But what a resource for new players (especially those who don't know Star Trek that much) to have a Starfleet Sourcebook that puts it all together?

I think this could be an excellent resource? Anyone else?

But that doesn't preclude this kind of approach in the big technology sourcebook.

The big technology sourcebook?

THE Big technology sourcebook?!!?

Hoody hoo. Make this book, please.

I'll second Aslan's "Big Book O'Starfleet" idea.

Alex

>>Now here is a weird idea. How about a Starfleet Source book. <<

>>Normally in a Startrek game we get a litle bit about Starfleet and it's functions, departments, etc, spread out over 6 or 7 books. <<

What in the heck was The Price of Freedom? We never did do another book focused on Starfleet. Much of the information in other books repeated the info from the UFP sourcebook. =)

>>But what a resource for new players (especially those who don't know Star Trek that much) to have a Starfleet Sourcebook that puts it all together? <<

First, I reject the idea that players who don't know Star Trek that much are playing this game. I know you all have anecdotal evidence about your friend who only watched two episodes who plays in your weekly game, but experience has shown us that this is not the norm. Most of you out there have watched hundreds of hours of Star Trek.

That aside, we're putting together book much like the one you describe as I write this. It should be the first supplement out after the two core books.

You know I can't talk about this any more than I already have.

>>The big technology sourcebook?

THE Big technology sourcebook?!!? <<

My girlfriend wants us to call the Klingon book The Big Book of Klingons. She envisions a pop-up Golden book full of snarling Klingons.

There is a new regime here in the kinds of products we're putting out. You'll see this over the months and years to come. Big book of aliens. Big book of worlds. Big book of starships. Big book of technology. Big book of TNG....

Please don't ask me about shipping dates, schedule, or content. =)

Yours,

Ross A. Isaacs

That aside, we're putting together book much like the one you describe as I write this. It should be the first supplement out after the two core books.

Happy, happy, happy

Joy, joy, joy

Welcome back, Ross. Good to hear from you again. I have three questions.

1. Will the new system allow the creation of command-ranked PCs (i.e., XOs and captains)? I recall the TNG core rules didn't really allow for high-ranking officers without some work.

2. While I know you probably can't answer this, but do you think Decipher might do a SW Gamer sort of magazine (or other venue) where freelance writers might be able to contribute RPG material? Reading that Decipher will do this and that, but not that or the other thing makes me thing there might be a couple/three niches that may be unfilled by Decipher. A venue for freelancers could do the job. (Of course, we freelancers could always submit to the trekrpg.net, as well. Er, I assume so, anyhow. Don? The site will encourage CODA submissions, right?)

3. Totally non-game related: why sell off all your swag? I recall my days in the early '80s, when I decided I was "too old" for SW stuff, and sold the lot. Brings tears to my eyes today that I let it all go. Just curious.

There is a new regime here in the kinds of products we're putting out. You'll see this over the months and years to come. Big book of aliens. Big book of worlds. Big book of starships. Big book of technology. Big book of TNG....
    Almost missed this. I'm encouraged by the "...months and years to come..." statement. Makes me hope that in spite of the stealth marketing, Decipher is putting a vested interest in the Trek RPG and looks to support it in the long-term. (Assuming the sales are there.)