Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress Update

Ross, now that the PG is thru printing, and the NG thru proffreading, I'd say the basics of the new RPG are practically set in stone. Are you interested (and Don of course would join you ) in a scheduled chat? This is an invitation I already made you (albeit more vaguely) on the Decipher boards.

Please put the day. I'll be available weekdays 3PM-8PM LA Time (on Fridays until 10PM) as your humble servant and channel operator.

The channel is #TreKRPG at irc.magicstar.net, also accesible through www.magicstar.net.

Drop me a PM, an email or even a reply to this very thread.
    Last edited by Dr. Jonas Bashir; 03-11-2002 at 10:02 PM.
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy

This is a little off topic, but what are your feelings on the "Witchcraft" RPG? I've been thinking about picking it up, but haven't heard any reports on it. My games store also has a supplement for it "Power and..." Can't remember the the whole title.

I like the idea of a Starfleet sourcebook for CODA. It would be nice if included some info on Starfleet Academy, as well as info similar to LUG's Price of Freedom book.

Some info on Starfleet Procedures and regulation, merits, advancement guidelines, legal procedure, ranks, organization.

Lots of good stuff that doesn't get much attention on TV, but could be useful to a gamining group.

----

For the BIG TECH BOOK, how about some guidelines for jury-rigging tech and designing new devices?

Lightbulb

Big book of aliens. Big book of worlds. Big book of starships. Big book of technology. Big book of TNG....

Please don't ask me about shipping dates, schedule, or content. =)
    Oh, we won't ask you about them so soon... but now that you've 'committed' to those books...

Me, I'd put "Big Book of Aliens" and "Big Book of Worlds" together and call it "Super Mega Big-Big Giant Monster Space Book."

But then again, I've been looking at too much manga lately.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

>>Welcome back, Ross. Good to hear from you again. I have three questions.

1. Will the new system allow the creation of command-ranked PCs (i.e., XOs and captains)? I recall the TNG core rules didn't really allow for high-ranking officers without some work. <<

Yes, you can. And it's a lot easier, IMHO.

>>2. While I know you probably can't answer this, but do you think Decipher might do a SW Gamer sort of magazine (or other venue) where freelance writers
    might be able to contribute RPG material? <<

A lot of you might not know this, but Decipher already has a Star Trek magazine, called Star Trek Communicator. We've already talked about game support within its pages. As for an exclusive game magazine, this is a difficult sell. House organ magazines always have poor circulation. Shadis, Pyramid, White Wolf Magazine... All reside in the dustbin of gamer history....

As for Decipher's commitment to Star Trek, it is rock solid. My understanding is that Decipher prefers to have "stuff in hand" before marketing it. Of course, this is hearsay; I don't know if it's an official policy.

>>This is a little off topic, but what are your feelings on the "Witchcraft" RPG? I've been thinking about picking it up, but haven't heard any reports on it. My games store also has a supplement for it "Power and..." Can't remember the the whole title.<<

I like it. I think the setting is interesting and the art is way cool. Unfortunately, the edition I'm selling on eBay predates the current edition. Eden Studios didn't change much, I think....

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    A lot of you might not know this, but Decipher already has a Star Trek magazine, called Star Trek Communicator. We've already talked about game support within its pages.
    "We" as in the boards here, or "we" as in the designers talking with the folks at Communicator? I may have missed some posts.

As for Decipher's commitment to Star Trek, it is rock solid. My understanding is that Decipher prefers to have "stuff in hand" before marketing it. Of course, this is hearsay; I don't know if it's an official policy.
    Maybe it's an unofficial policy. They way Decipher has handled their CCGs, their LOTR RPG, and their LOTR Fan Club, it seems like they do wait for all their ducks to be in a row before inviting people to see the pond.

It's very encouraging to hear their commitment to the franchise is "rock solid."

Ross, thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.

You missed no posts. We have had a discussion with Larry Nemecek, editor of the Communicator, about ways in which we could include RPG coverage in the magazine.

No official word yet.

I'm gonna haveta double my subscriptions??

What about the OTHER Star Trek magazine? I presume there will be ads and some small amount of coverage in that, as well?
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Ineti
    (Of course, we freelancers could always submit to the trekrpg.net, as well. Er, I assume so, anyhow. Don? The site will encourage CODA submissions, right?)
    We'll support CODA and Icon. The DB I've put together allows us to catorgize entires as necessary, or flag them as "open" if they're not system-specific. It's way cool and I'm eager to unveil the new TrekRPG.net, hopefully shortly after release of the PG.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Angry

Originally posted by Dr. Jonas Bashir
    Ross, now that the PG is thru printing, and the NG thru proffreading, I'd say the basics of the new RPG are practically set in stone. Are you interested (and Don of course would join you ) in a scheduled chat? This is an invitation I already made you (albeit more vaguely) on the Decipher boards.
    As an author, co-designer, and playtester I’m always eager to discuss the new system. The problem remains those pesky NDAs that I’ve had to sign. I’ve been reminded on at least two occasions about their existence (like I forgot, right?) and I have no idea how litigious Decipher is feeling at any given point.

Which is kinda why my shorts get all twisted in a knot when Ross or Matt unveil system specifics or proposed books that I’ve been asked not to share. Can we or can we not talk about them?

Couple Stealth Marketing™ with a gag order for the largest Trek RPG fan site and you can imagine my frustration. Cut me loose, you guys!

Rant over.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Don, that may be a record for the largest range of smilies in one message.
    (mad)
    (winks)
    (sad)
    (big-grin x2)

Perhaps you should see the Counselor.

So you've been reminded of NDAs twice... And posted two ships... Hmm...

I feel your pain, o brother Mappin. Please do your best, you both.
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy

Talking

>>Which is kinda why my shorts get all twisted in a knot when Ross or Matt unveil system specifics or proposed books that I’ve been asked not to share.<<

Well I guess I'm going to get a talking to about my NDA.

Seriously, I had no idea. I guess I'll stop posting about the system and proposed books. Honestly, it never occurred to me.

And is your shorts, or your panties, that get in a bunch, Don?

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    Seriously, I had no idea. I guess I'll stop posting about the system and proposed books. Honestly, it never occurred to me.
    Good grief, don't do that! You know how pissed these guys would get if you stopped leaking information on my account? Almost as crabby as those kids on the Decipher boards!
    And is your shorts, or your panties, that get in a bunch, Don?
    Latex panties. They don't bind as much.

Speaking of panties, when are you auctioning off your authentic "Ross Isaacs" autographed pair that you normally wear on your bald head?
    Contributor, Gnome Stew