Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Progress Update

This is just a reminder... A bunch of my auctions on eBay are about to end. Now's your chance to own a piece of Ross Isaacs, in RPG collection form. ;-)

Also, I found two LUG convention shirts I'll be putting up on eBay tomorrow. Oh, and I found some Red Alert Factory Sets, too.

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this view, but it would seem to be a reasonable explanation - an attempt to prevent the game from being bashed into oblivion before it is even released.
    There's no such thing as bad press.

Getting people talking about your product--for better or for ill--is the job of marketing. Star Trek tends to attract dedicated, loyal, and intelligent fans. RPGs tend to attract the same. Remaining silent while people who want to know more about a product, who want you to sell them on it, and want the product to succeed is just bad management.

If someone told me I had a ready-made consumer base that is excited about my sight-unseen product and would support and promote it for me, generating hype and pre-orders through retailers and distributors, you damn well could bank that I'd leverage that competitive advantage.

Who's done a better job of marketing their game that will be out in a few weeks: small Hobgoblyn Press and their new WWII Super game, GODLIKE, or the multi-million dollar juggernaut Decipher and their Star Trek RPG?
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Cool

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    Oh, and I found some Red Alert Factory Sets, too.
    Come on baby, share the love in this direction!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Unhappy

Originally posted by Don Mappin

There's no such thing as bad press.
    I got a thumbs down from Don... I think my will to live is gone...

Seriously, I'm a lowly engineer, the anithesis of marketing! I'm just trying to think of some explanation for the stealth marketing. It can't be "we paid $$$ for this license, cut it from WotC/LUG, let us whack our own kneecaps before entering into a race with it..." Or maybe it can... After all, WotC didn't exactly soar with it's brief tenure of the Trek RPG license...
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

I agree with all the points that were mentioned above, but that shouldn't stop the company from placing general advertising about the product. All they need to do is say: 1) they are doing a ST game 2) when it is "expected" to be out for release and 3) if release is delayed an updated release date.

As Colin said this is not National Security were talking about, and a non-system specific advertising program would take care of any Net rumours or arguments. To me it seems simple enough, but then I am the first to admit I not in the industry.

Talking

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I got a thumbs down from Don... I think my will to live is gone...
    You may have gotten the "thumbs down" from me, but I routinely get "the finger" so I think you'll recover.

Hey, I'm not marketing expert but I did enough work in my undergraduate degree to understand that what Decipher has done with the Trek RPG on a marketing side (precious little) is pretty sad. The Trek RPG NetRep (bet you didn't know there was one, or his e-mail address) has been floating on his own for the better part of six months with no information. There's no web presence, no pre-release hype, and absolutely no customer support save an already overworked designer (Ross) who answers questions in his spare time and at the risk of an NDA violation.

Hey, what do I know? I'm just some shmuck freelancer with a web site.

So, anymore questions for Ross?
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

I don't wanna know I don't wanna know I DON'T wanna know!
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

Well, the only questions I can think of would be for the layout and priting people...
    But I'l ask them anyway, in the hope someone knows .

1) What will the paper/ink be like on the STRPG core books? Extra-smudgy like the LUGtrek books or possessing the Amazing Resilience of the D&D 3e books?

2) Will the BBoA, BBoT and other supplements by in b&w or colour? Hardcover or soft? Personally, I'd prefer the BBoA & BBoT to be like the softcover D&D FR books (Lords of Darkness, Magic of Faerun), but odds are most'll want them in hardcover.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

>>1) What will the paper/ink be like on the STRPG core books? Extra-smudgy like the LUGtrek books or possessing the Amazing Resilience of the D&D 3e
    books? <<

I don't know.

>>2) Will the BBoA, BBoT and other supplements by in b&w or colour? Hardcover or soft? <<

I can't say. =)

Talking

Several people have asked me for the reason behind my liquidating my collection of games and toys. Your curiousity is understandable, given that it's taken me years to assemble (and what gamer would willingly get rid of his swag?).

I can now say why.

As of April 1, 2002, I will be moving to Washington, DC for personal reasons. Decipher has graciously agreed to allow me to continue on as line developer for the Star Trek RPG. My change of address will in no way affect our production schedule.

Given the nature of the internet, and its prediliction for rampant speculation, I want to be clear about this: This change was initiated by me and has nothing to do with Decipher's dedication to Star Trek, or my work performance. I felt it was time for a life change, and Decipher has given me the safety net I need to allow me to relocate.

I want to publically thank Ross Campbell, Christian Moore, and Owen Seyler for giving me this opportunity.

I would like to ask the following of you:

Please do not ask me about the nature of my move. It's personal and, quite frankly, too complex to describe.

Go bid on an auction. I have to get rid of this stuff, which makes my move to DC easier. I'd much rather it go to a good home than go to a landfill.

If you live in the DC area, I'm looking for a gaming group. I'm particularly interested in the Star Trek RPG (duh) and miniature wargames.

As always, I'm here to answer your questions and chew the gagh with you about Star Trek.

Yours,

Ross A. Isaacs
    Line Developer—Star Trek RPG
    Decipher, Inc.

Game on in DC, Ross!

Hey Ross,

I will hope that you moving out there on April 1st will not influence the days you spend in the capital.

My girlfriend just moved back from DC (Arlington, actually) to Chicago when she finished grad school. I went out there quite a few times and, honestly, enjoyed visiting. I have to warn you, though. LA drivers are nothing like DC drivers. I have never known a more spiteful bunch of indecisive bastards behind the wheel than I met on the Beltway. Beware.

Unfortunately, I also had very little luck finding game shops out there, though I can say that the WotC store in Crystal City had the nicest staff I've ever met at a WotC store (I quit my post at Gamekeeper after five days!).

Finally, I suggest you go down by the park at Dupont Circle, watch the chess players, examine the embassies, all that. Then look carefully up and down Dupont in each direction. I shit you not, you can see three Starbucks coffee joints from the park. Two are across the street from each other! It'll be just like LA!

Seriously, have fun in DC, Ross. I'm just glad that (through the power of science!) you'll still be at the helm of the Trek game.

word,
    will

Ross, you're moving to DC? Awesome news! I live in Bethesda (my father is in the Air Force) during the summer and winter when I'm home from school. Plus, I may relocate permanently there after my year of graduate courses this coming school year.

I'd be willing to do gaming... as long as I'm not narrator or gamemaster or whatever it will be called in Decipher Trek.

Moving to DC is like moving back home for me. I lived there for 12 years before moving to LA for the LUG gig. I went to GWU, then stayed in the city after that.

Dupont Circle is where I'm looking to live, actually. That's where my girlfriend lives, and I'd like to be close by. So if anyone knows of an efficiency apartment in Dupont Circle for under $1000/mo and takes cats, I'd be obliged. =)

The best game store I found in the DC area was Dreamwizards out in Rockville. An easy ride on the Red Line. Don't know if it's still there, or if it's still good. I was hoping to go there weekly to get my Games Workshop fix.

I would be willing to narrate DecTrek for any group that would have me in the DC area. We're gonna replay the first season of Enterprise, where the trip from Earth to Qo'noS takes months at warp 5 and first contact with the Andorians isn't lame.

My girlfriend went to GWU (for Anthro and museums), too. But an efficiency for $1000? Damn is DC an expensive place to live!

word,
    will

You're telling me!

I currently live less than 2 miles from the ocean in a large, 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment with a balcony and east/west exposure for less than $1000/mo.

Or I can live in a tiny basement efficiency in gray, cloudy, cold DC for about the same price.

It looks like Mayor Barry isn't the only one smoking crack, 'cause there's no way the laws of supply and demand value land in DC higher than in west side Los Angeles.

Where do they think they live? New York?