Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Progress Update

DreamWizards is still there, Ross, but they've recently moved their store. It's not as conveniently placed as the old store, but it's much bigger. You can get directions to their new place on their web site (www.dreamwizards.com)

I live in Rockville, but my gaming group meets regularly in Springfield. We play a variety of games -- Shadowrun, Star Wars (not the D20 version), Trek (of course), and a variety of Hero based games. I'm the Trek GM, and the group is running through the Dominion War at the moment. If you're interested, let me know. (I'd have to clear it with the guys first, but I don't see that being a problem.)

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    Moving to DC is like moving back home for me. I lived there for 12 years before moving to LA for the LUG gig. I went to GWU, then stayed in the city after that.

Dupont Circle is where I'm looking to live, actually. That's where my girlfriend lives, and I'd like to be close by. So if anyone knows of an efficiency apartment in Dupont Circle for under $1000/mo and takes cats, I'd be obliged. =)

The best game store I found in the DC area was Dreamwizards out in Rockville. An easy ride on the Red Line. Don't know if it's still there, or if it's still good. I was hoping to go there weekly to get my Games Workshop fix.

I would be willing to narrate DecTrek for any group that would have me in the DC area. We're gonna replay the first season of Enterprise, where the trip from Earth to Qo'noS takes months at warp 5 and first contact with the Andorians isn't lame.
    Well, I don't know about finding a place at Dupont Circle, but I do know of a nice place in Arlington about a mile away from the Court House Metro. The take pets, too! I could also recommend a very good real estate agent, too.

My gaming group went the way of the four winds, but I'd certainly like to game with you. I'll even host if you'd like down here in Falls Church!
    Last edited by Dave Biggins; 03-15-2002 at 10:04 PM.
    Insert something clever

Hey, I didn't know there were so many of us in the area. I'm in Great Falls, myself.

I already mentioned it in the PM, Ross, but it sounds like there are any number of gamers here to choose from.

A recent transplant to NoVA...

Ross & Dave,

I made a job related move to northern VA last April. I am in the Dulles area, but would be seriously interested in doing some Trek-related gaming. Since moving up here from Oklahoma, I've been in something of a gaming vacuum...I can find WH40K and Magic:The Monetary Sinkhole games every where, but I haven't really found any RPG's groups with even a remote interest in Trek.

Let me know.

Regards,
    Larry
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy, and can be adequately seasoned with a wide variety of condiments."

I live in Rockville and am currently running a campaign.
    I would be interested in one or two more players.
    If anyone is interested e-mail me and we can talk.
    The game is set during the Dominion War but other things come up besides the war. When not in the war the focus of the game is on the corporate, political, and criminal intrigue of the Triangle.
    The age range of the current players is 20-40.
    4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
    Evil Overlords Survival Guide

There are few problems in the galaxy which cannot be solved by a suitable application of concentrated phaser fire.
    Capt. Coryn Windsabre

I've always preferred photons myself.
    Cmdr. Marcus Aurelius Ferretti

Wow.

This whole thread is like deja vu for me, now.

My brother lives in LA just a spot away from the ocean near the Warner Bros. lot. I haven't been out there since he moved so I don't have more detailed information than that.

In DC (I guess it's been almost a year since I was out there), my girlfriend lived no more than 8 blocks or so from the Courthouse Metro stop in Arlington. Real nice neighborhood, once I got used to the Virginia-ness of it (buying liquor from the state, for example, is difficult when you only have Illinois and California driver's licenses as proof of age).

I think Dream Wizards's old location might be the spot where I bought "Torres" (great, great board game), depending on how recently it moved. I did a pretty exhaustive phone-book/web search when I was out there. I totally forgot about that store, though.

Now I stop rambling.

word,
    will

Another one from DC

Yet another DC area gamer checking in...Northern VA, a few blocks from Courthouse to be exact.

I'd also be interested in getting involved in a Trek RPG game, and I might know a couple of others who would as well.

Also, as for gaming shops in the area, besides Dream Wizards, there's Compleat Strategist, in Falls Church (near East Falls Church metro)

Best game store I've seen in Northern VA is the Game Parlor, in Chantilly, just off Rt. 50. They've always had what I'm looking for, do waitlists and holds, and let you open games to check them out before buying them. A nice place that has acquired many of my gaming dollars over the years.

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    I currently live less than 2 miles from the ocean in a large, 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment with a balcony and east/west exposure for less than $1000/mo..

Or I can live in a tiny basement efficiency in gray, cloudy, cold DC for about the same price.
    Sheesh! I know the economy is different that side of the Atlantic but I thought Washington was supposed to be expensive?! I just signed a contract for a ground floor 2 bedroom flat in Tooring, (southwest London) for £240 a week (that's about $1500 a month) - and that's cheap for London!

That's it, I'm emigrating...
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

I may be surrounded by rednecks, hicks, good ol' boys, and refugees from "Deliverance" here in Arkansas, but at least I only pay $320/month rent, not including electricity, for a decent, small, unfurnished apartment.
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Originally posted by Sarge
    I may be surrounded by rednecks, hicks, good ol' boys, and refugees from "Deliverance" here in Arkansas, but at least I only pay $320/month rent, not including electricity, for a decent, small, unfurnished apartment.
    Well, that's better than out here in Monterey, CA. I own my 2 bedroom condo and pay about 1100/month (covers 1st and 2nd mortgages and home owners assoc. fees). To show you how prices have skyrocketed out here, I bought the place for ~86k in 1996, and can sell it now for about ~190k.

A small 3-BR in the cheapest parts of the area run about 250k, and on the peninsula itself, you can't find anything decent below 300k. It's laughable...and makes me wonder how a blue collar worker can survive in this tourist trap.

You really don't want to know the rents out here...it's horrible.

It's enough to make me want to go back to Kansas City (execpt for the fact that I have a very secure government job with all the overtime I want... )

Anyway, what was this thread originally about?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

For the first time in history Monreal rents are getting out of hand.

I lived for the last two years in a 5&1/2 (2 bedrooms, bath, ktichen, dining room, living room) and paid $450 a month unheated. It was in a lesser neighbourhood, but not a slum or anything.

Now I have a 2& 1/2 (Living room/bedroom, bath, kitchen) and am paying $400 a month and am in only a slightly better neightbourhood.

My old roomate and his GF live in the heart of Downtown, near McGill Universtiy and have a 3 &1/2 (not a big one either) (bedroom, kitchen, bath, living room) and are paying $590.

None of these include utilities.

The occupancy rate is %99 this year, meaning the landlords can charge whatever they want and people have to pay it as there are no other apartments available.

If this keeps up much longer we will be like Toronto and Vancouver (both of shich I have lived in) and be paying $1000 a month for a 1& 1/2 (1 room with a kitchenette, bath) downtown.

I'm closing this 6-page thread that is now wildly off topic.

Ross, please start a new one if you'd like.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride