Thread: Can't DL the Klingon SRM

Can't DL the Klingon SRM

Hey everyone, I originally posted this in the "Problem with the Klingon SRM" thread, but I moved it here since it wasn't the same problem as everyone else's.

Fact is, I can't unzip the file. I've tried both saving the ZIP file to my HD and just unzipping it from the site and neither seems to work. Winzip is telling me that the ZIP file is not a valid archive and Windows Explorer calls it a "bad ZIP file." I've probably tried to download this thing half a dozen times over the last 24 hours with zero success.

All those in charge, I beseech thee.... help?

--MAC

What is the version of WinZip you're using ? Although I doubt this could be the problem, it may be your WinZip is an older version wich can't handle this ZipFile.
    Otherwise, try opening it with another compressing utility that can handle Zip files, like WinAce.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

I can't download a copy as well. I just upgraded my Adobe up to five, plus I got a newer Winzip. For some reason, it doesn't recognize the file.

Try WinRAR that hands zipped files too. You can find it at http://www.download.com

DLed WinRAR. Still wasn't able to unzip it... I have the ZIP ifle on my HD and it's basically a bad ZIP file taking up space... any chance the file could be corrupted and we may be in need of a new DL mirror?

--MAC

I downloaded and unZipped--worked fine. Try downloading again. It's not the file on the server.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Do you encounter the problem with other downloader zip files ?
    And are you using a download accelerator to DL the file ?
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Well, first I downloaded WinRAR and found I like it much better than winzip. Thanks so much for tell me about it. Second, I found that if I download the file from Explorer instead of the service I use that I got it without any problems. So thank for your patience and help. At least I final got it, I hope this help everyone else.

Ok, guys, I hate to say it, but I give up. I've downloaded the file over 20 times (no DL accelerator that I'm aware of), tried unzipping both with Winzip and WinRAR, updated my Winzip to the most current possible version, checked my Winzip to see if other ZIP files its size were giving it problems (they weren't), unzipped both from my AOL browser and MIE directly...

I can't get it to work. After weeks of trying I can't get it to work.

<Sigh> Some things just weren't meant to be , I suppose.

--MAC

I have downloaded SRM 3 several times myself, different days, and after downloading (successfully) the other Steve Long stuff. I am only having a problem with Vol 3. Is there something being looked into as a possible reason? Please let me know!

Originally posted by C5
    What is the version of WinZip you're using ? Although I doubt this could be the problem, it may be your WinZip is an older version wich can't handle this ZipFile.
    Unlikely, since it worked fine for me with WinZip 5.0 (copyright 1993).
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

I was able to download the file, but when I open it most of the words are gibberish. The ship stats are ok, but the rules and the ship descriptions are just a bunch of slashes and hack marks. Any thoughts? Do I need to download a font or something?

Sounds like a font problem. Do you have the latest version of Acrobat? (Version 5) All the fonts should be embedded in the document.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

yes, I do have acrobat 5. I am just stumped... I downloaded it when I had only acrobat 3. Then I dowloaded 5. But that shouldn't make a difference, should it?