Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Decipher's RPG Net Rep

Re: ADB?!

Originally posted by jedimuldoon
    Who's that?
    Amarillo Design Bureau is the publisher of Prime Directive, "Powered by GURPS".

What about starbases/space stations?
    There are no design rules for stations specifically, but I'm sure many of the rules for ships can be adapted to serve.

How are the minitures coming along?
    No official word on miniatures yet. I am sure that TPTB are more concerned at this point with actually getting the game out first...
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Prime Directive

I've checked out the webpage

I've been tempted by the Dark Side

I have returned but it was CLOSE

Tempt me to the LIGHT...........

I'll be honest, Jedi, I know next to nothing about GURPS PD. Even if I knew more, it's not really my place to try to sway you either way...

I guess you could also say that falls under "Marketing"...

Remember, my job is to answer questions about the Star Trek RPG itself. Comparing and contrasting with other systems will have to come from someone else.

Unhappy Disappointing...

Doug,

First of all, thank you for coming on this board and answering most of our questions. Unfortunately I daid 'most', and 'not all'....

It may seem like I am beating a dead horse, but I am still very annoyed that we see new PDFs of the ST:CCG Motion Picture cards daily but there are no new excerpts from the new RPG, except that little blurb released some 2-3 months ago, and that after we had heard nothing at all over the previous Fall.

According to your new schedule, which I have no choice but to take with a grain of salt, the Player's Guide is to be released this month. I am dumfounded over the fact, except for info provided, which I do appreciate, that Decipher, except for the afore-mentioned blurb, is not hyping this at all

I know somebody (who will remain nameless) who is associated with Decipher, primarily through sanction Star Wars and LOTR CCG tournaments, and laughed at the idea of any ST RPG product being released, as he had heard nothing about it.

I guess this bugs me in that, as the Star Trek freak that I am , I will be buying this book no matter what, and I feel that Decipher knowing that most of the consumers who will be buying this fit under my description, are not really trying to 'take care of us', for lack of a better description.

Again, I appreciate the info that you have provided for us, but could you light a fire under somebody's backside at Decipher, and have them give us something new. Please!!

DC
    They keep telling me that the beat's going to get me, so I'm avoiding the beat at all costs!!

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Re: Disappointing...

...and have them give us something new. Please!!
    I thought Doug was the something new...

(Sorry, but I can't think of a question to go with my witty remark...I'll ask one later today... )
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Those cards aren't PDFs.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Re: Disappointing...

Originally posted by Ensign Deconn
    It may seem like I am beating a dead horse ... but there are no new excerpts from the new RPG, except that little blurb released some 2-3 months ago, and that after we had heard nothing at all over the previous Fall.
    The decision regarding PDF previews has apparently been made. It may change, but I wouldn't count on it. For more information, see the following thread:

http://forum.lotrrpg.net/showthread....&threadid=3424

I am dumfounded over the fact, except for info provided, which I do appreciate, that Decipher, except for the afore-mentioned blurb, is not hyping this at all
    I have no input into or control over any sort of marketing, DC. See my explanation of this (and what specifically I can do) on page three of this thread...

I know somebody (who will remain nameless) who is associated with Decipher, primarily through sanction Star Wars and LOTR CCG tournaments, and laughed at the idea of any ST RPG product being released, as he had heard nothing about it.
    Well, since I playtested the game and currently have a final proof of it in my hands right now, I can assure you the game does exist. And if your friend is interested in the RPG and hasn't heard anything yet, then perhaps the news will be a welcome surprise. Not to mention that, since his association is based around CCG tournaments, they would have no reason to provide any heads-up about the release of the RPG. I know I don't hear anything in advance about CCG releases...

Again, I appreciate the info that you have provided for us, but could you light a fire under somebody's backside at Decipher, and have them give us something new.
    If you would care to ask any questions about the game itself, I would be more than happy to provide you with new information.

Comments contained within are subject to change without notice and while they may rely on material provided by Decipher, Inc., are provided for strictly informational purposes and should not be construed as official policy.

Re: Re: Disappointing...

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    I thought Doug was the something new...
    Me? Nah. I'm old news. But the idea of having me here to answer questions could be considered new... (Even though Don and Ross have been doing it much longer than I have.)

A few tools to build with

First, thanks very much for your eagerness and your help, Mr. Burke. I, for one, will take an interactive person over PDFs any day.

Here's a dry question, which might be out of your jurisdiction. I'm hoping it's something easily checked, though.

Do you know what sort of distribution channels Decipher is/will be using for the RPG? (I have some trouble with the my friendly local retailer noticing new products and would like to have a lead.) Should we expect to see it on the shelves at Borders and such, or just at dedicated gaming shops? Is there any possibility of pre-ordering online through Decipher? Etc.

And here's the big question I've been cradling since last GenCon:

I've been sitting on a few half-finished Star Trek adventures that I want to submit to Don's site, but I want them to be CODA-compatible. I have the difficulty scale now (thanks, Don!), but I don't have a reliable means of identifying skill checks. Is there any way we can get our eyes on even a rudimentary skill list? The sort that might appear on the character sheet, or whatever? I'd love to have some new Trek episodes available online right when the game comes out!

Addendum to the above: can you comment on how the technical (engineering/science/medical) skills may have changed from the LUG days? What separates the skills from the specialties?

word,
    will

-----

McCoy: "Are you just going to <I>walk</I> through them?"
    Kirk: "Calm yourself, Doctor."

Development Package Redux

First things first DB, congrats on the Net Rep Position.

Secondly, can you give us a few more details and/or clarifications on the Development Package part of Character Creation? Specifically, are they similar to the package/tours from ICON?

The tour packages were perhaps my favorite part of the CC process, since in addition to game mechanics they gave you an idea of what the character may have done it the past (where they were stationed, the type of vessel they served on, etc.).

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

AndorMan
    Being Andorian means never having to say your sorry.

Re: A few tools to build with

Originally posted by Lt. Dade
    First, thanks very much for your eagerness and your help, Mr. Burke. I, for one, will take an interactive person over PDFs any day.
    Believe me, I'm glad to be here...

Do you know what sort of distribution channels Decipher is/will be using for the RPG? (I have some trouble with the my friendly local retailer noticing new products and would like to have a lead.) Should we expect to see it on the shelves at Borders and such, or just at dedicated gaming shops? Is there any possibility of pre-ordering online through Decipher? Etc.
    Honestly, I have no idea. I guess I should add "distribution" to the list of "Marketing and Development"

I've been sitting on a few half-finished Star Trek adventures that I want to submit to Don's site, but I want them to be CODA-compatible. I have the difficulty scale now (thanks, Don!), but I don't have a reliable means of identifying skill checks. Is there any way we can get our eyes on even a rudimentary skill list? The sort that might appear on the character sheet, or whatever? I'd love to have some new Trek episodes available online right when the game comes out!
    There are over 70 skills and 10 skill groups in the PG. And that's not even counting the specialties for the skills that have them. I'd love to list them for you, but...my poor fingers!

Addendum to the above: can you comment on how the technical (engineering/science/medical) skills may have changed from the LUG days? What separates the skills from the specialties?
    Engineering and Science are now Skill Groups. Each skill under the group is a separate skill. Medicine is a skill with specialities, as is the new skill of Repair skill.

Specialities are usually listed after the skill, but do not have a separate rating. For example, Stealth (Sneak) 4. The way specialities work is that if you are doing something covered by the specialty (Sneaking around), you get a +2 to the test result. If not (say you were hiding in one place), you would simply roll normally. There is no penalty for not having a specialty.

Comments contained within are subject to change without notice and while they may rely on material provided by Decipher, Inc., are provided for strictly informational purposes and should not be construed as official policy.

Re: Development Package Redux

Originally posted by AndorMan
    First things first DB, congrats on the Net Rep Position.
    Thanks, AM. It's been a lot of fun.

Secondly, can you give us a few more details and/or clarifications on the Development Package part of Character Creation? Specifically, are they similar to the package/tours from ICON?
    They're not exactly like tour packages, no. Think of them as similar Early Life and Academy/Professional Training Packages. or even the skill poriton of the Template and Overlay. They don't translate directly to any of those, of course, but they serve a similar purpose.

Each package lets you pick among a specific set of Skills, and allows you to select an Edge. Some also provide Flaws as well. Here are a couple of examples:

Famous Parents (Personal Development Package)
    One or both of your parents were celebrities renowed throughout the quadrant for their work and accomplishments, and some of their luster rubbed off on you.
    Pick 1 Skill: Any one Enterprise skill +2, Influence +2, any one Knowledge skill +2
    Pick 3 Skills: Computer Use +1, any one Entertain skill +1, any one other Knowledge skill +1, any one Language skill +1, Social Science +1, Sport +1
    Pick 1 Edge: Contacts, Fit, Skill Focus (Diplomatic), Skill Focus (Persuasive), Wealth

Starship Designer (Professional Development Package for the Starship Officer (Engineer) Profession)
    You were trained to design spacecraft - drawing blueprints, designing spaceframes, selecting proper warp drives, hull materials, ship's systems and so on.
    Skills: Computer Use (modeling) +2, COnstruct (Starship) +3, Energy Weapons +1, Propulsion Engineering +2, Repair +3, Structural Engineering +3, Systems Engineering +3System Operation +1
    Pick 5: +1 to any professional skill
    Pick 1 Edge: Ambidextrous Meticulous, Skill Focus (Craftsman), Suit Trained, Zero-G Trained

The tour packages were perhaps my favorite part of the CC process, since in addition to game mechanics they gave you an idea of what the character may have done it the past (where they were stationed, the type of vessel they served on, etc.).
    At this time, there is only one package for the spending of Adavncment Picks, but I'm sure more could be developed. (and knowing the folks here, myself included, they will be developed ).

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    From the above package examples, I take it that packages will be worth different amounts of points, based on what's in them? Are there "package discounts" (i.e., bought individually, the skills purchased in the package cost more)?

Only a couple of weeks to go....must....perservere....
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Famous parents, Starship designer...

Oh my -- crunchy bits now online!
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    From the above package examples, I take it that packages will be worth different amounts of points, based on what's in them?
    Actually, the packages are pretty much the same cost for each stage.

For Personal Development Pakcages, you get 1 Skill at +2, 3 Skills at +1, and can choose 1 Edge. By the costs listed for Advancements, that's the equivalent of 5-7 picks.

For Professional Development Packages, you get 20 picks worth of Professional skills (adding a specialty costs a pick), 5 more Picks for Prefesional skills (+1 per Skill), and can choose 1 Edge. In Advancement Picks, that comes out to 25-27 picks.

Are there "package discounts" (i.e., bought individually, the skills purchased in the package cost more)?
    Nope. They're the same regardless. The only difference between buying the skills separately and the package would be the Personal Development Package. Since, theoretically, you don't have a Profession at that time, there is no difference between Professional and Nonprofessional Skills. They are all considered to be Professional skills for the purposes of the cost of that package.

Only a couple of weeks to go....must....perservere....
    You and me both, pal.