Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Decipher's RPG Net Rep

Originally posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    Oh my -- crunchy bits now online!
    I aim to please.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

OK, real questions. How does combat initiative work in Coda, and how many actions can you take on your turn?

I wasn't really fond of the Icon "pick which skill you're going to use" system, since you could subsequently change your mind and not use that skill.

- Daniel
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Originally posted by Sho-sa Kurita
    OK, real questions. How does combat initiative work in Coda, and how many actions can you take on your turn?
    Initiative is an opposed Quickness Reaction test. You roll 2d6 and add your Quickness Reaction modifer to the result. Whoever has the highest Intiative test result acts first.

[/b]I wasn't really fond of the Icon "pick which skill you're going to use" system, since you could subsequently change your mind and not use that skill.[/B]
    A lot of people didn't like it, either. That's the reason that Initiative in CODA has no connection to what skill you're using.

Perrryyy Guest
    Initiative is an opposed Quickness Reaction test. You roll 2d6 and add your Quickness Reaction modifer to the result. Whoever has the highest Intiative test result acts first.
    Going back to simple D&D style rules. Cool!

Actions!

Just as a general recollection from last GenCon:

Both the LotR and the Trek games used a move-and-act model similar to what we see in D&D/Spycraft now (and a good deal of games prior). I'm hoping this hasn't changed (?) since then, since I think it's a great balance between storytelling action and charting combat on a grid.

Whether you've got Starfleet officers under fire from Jem'Hadar soldiers in a well-mapped engine room set or you're cross-cutting all over a starship before a warp-core breach, the system is clear, supportive and flexible.

I am <I>so</I> jonesing for this game.

word,
    will

This may be a stupid and redundant question, but..... are we still on course for the release of the PG sometime this month? And if so, do we have any idea when this month?

Or is that asking too much? And if so, sorry

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Re: Actions!

Originally posted by Lt. Dade
    Both the LotR and the Trek games used a move-and-act model similar to what we see in D&D/Spycraft now (and a good deal of games prior). I'm hoping this hasn't changed (?) since then, since I think it's a great balance between storytelling action and charting combat on a grid.
    Similar, yes, but with differences. Each character has two actions they can take in a round. Any additional actions beyond that impose apenalty to its test equal to -5 times the number of additional actions taken.

For example, if Commander Pentis is exploring the site of a Cardassian attack and sees a Cardassian soldier running away, he can Run after him, and fire his phaser once without penalty. If he misses and wants to shoot again, he does so with a -5 on his test result.

Also note that certain Traits and Professional Abilities increase your Action Allowance.

Whether you've got Starfleet officers under fire from Jem'Hadar soldiers in a well-mapped engine room set or you're cross-cutting all over a starship before a warp-core breach, the system is clear, supportive and flexible.
    That seems to sum it up rather well.

Originally posted by Capt Daniel Hunter
    This may be a stupid and redundant question, but..... are we still on course for the release of the PG sometime this month? And if so, do we have any idea when this month?

Or is that asking too much? And if so, sorry
    AFAIK, we're still on target. But I haven't heard any new specifics, yet. Believe me, I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out.

Cheers Doug

I can believe that no news is good news

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)

Re: Actions!

I am </I>so<I> jonesing for this game.
    Hey! I resemble that remark.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Me too, I am so waiting for this game despite Stealth Marketing tm

Karg

Wink Call Me Incredibly Optimistic or An Idealist

(Must be like a Federation citizen)

I think we will see some info on the game soon at the Decipher site... it has been strangely quiet including an unexplained day (Monday) with no posts/update on the main page.

Just my fifthteen second analysis... we'll see if it means anything.
    This reminds me of how the news media monitors the Pentagon and knows some major operation is in the works when their is a sudden surge of pizza/Chinese food delivery to the Pentagon... I am not kidding.

Charles
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Red face

Well... not quite what I expected, but the Decipher posting of the release schedule was at least something (though we were already aware of it).

Here's to tomorrow.

Charles
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

It is now 7 weeks since the PG has gone to the printers, and one week till the projected date of april 16th. Unfortunately, I can no longer remember what the date was for (done at printers, done shipping, et cetera). Here's to hoping a April 17 street date!
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Originally posted by C. Huth
    Here's to hoping a April 17 street date!
    Funny you should bring that up, CH. I just received word that the books should be shipping from the printer in the next couple of days (if they haven't allready) and it should be just two to three weeks before they hit the shelves!

(Variables of course include pre-orders, special shipping, distributers' ability to inventory and ship out their copies, etc.)

Comments contained within are subject to change without notice and while they may rely on material provided by Decipher, Inc., are provided for strictly informational purposes and should not be construed as official policy.