Thread: 101 Adventures

Question 101 Adventures

Greetings All ,

In the hayday of the ill-fated LUGTrek Mailing List, I started a thread called 101 Adventures, which grew out of several people asking for adventure ideas. Having run over a dozen Star Trek RPG campaigns over the last 19 years, I claimed I could easily come up with one hundred and one adventure ideas. It was a challenge to myself, but also a fun way to share some story concepts with others.

With the new Decipher CODA System Star Trek game fast approaching, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing a similar thread here. Essentially each post would contain two or three adventure "nuggets", about two or three short paragraphs long each, complete with an episode title, alternate elements I've used and notes on how it went or what to watch out for. Questions and comments are always welcome. I also encourage others to post their adventure ideas in a similar format, but please do me a solid and don't use my numbering system. It will throw me out of whack and I'll never get to 101!

So, is this a good idea? Can the board handle a thread this long ('course I could always break it up into several thread "installments")?

Let me know.

Thanks for your time,

AndorMan
    The Andor of Tomorrow, Today

Been there, done that.

Check out the "Adventure Seeds" posts. "Series Seed" too.
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

"The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Red face Oops, My Bad

Sorry I missed those threads. They contain some really good stuff.

Rereading my post it sounds a little egotistical, and for that I apologize. We all know what it's like trying to convey a feeling via the internet !

Those who may remember the thread from the LUGTrek Mailing List will hopefully remember is wasn't like that.

I guess my next question is, "Would anyone like to start up another thread like the ones just mentioned?"

AndorMan
    Ol' Blue Skin

I remember the thread, AM. And there were quite a few interesting ideas in it.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Still, it might be interesting to see if you can single handedly come up with 101 more ideas.

(The more adventure seeds i have, the better)
    "You have not experienced Shakespeare until you've read it in the original Klingon text."
    - Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Originally posted by Hirogen Alpha
    Still, it might be interesting to see if you can single handedly come up with 101 more ideas.

(The more adventure seeds i have, the better)
    Thanks HA! You know, I think a similar phrase got the original thread started...

I shall begin tomorrow!

Please note that the majority of the adventure/episodes were created for campaigns featuring PCs as the Bridge Crew of an Exploration vessel. Also, most were set in either the TOS, TOS Movie (Which I often call "TMP") or "current" Post-DS9 Dominion War era.

Thanks guys, hope you enjoy!

AndorMan
    Raider of the Lost Andorian
    Last edited by AndorMan; 04-18-2002 at 02:42 PM.

Lightbulb 101: By the Book

The first two are inspired by classic SF novels...
    Here goes nothin'

Episode 1: Rage of the Pussyfoots
    Inspiration: The Age of the Pussyfoot by Frederik Pohl
    Era: TMP - Though others are possible

The PCs enter an area of space (either as part of their normal exploratory course or in response to reports of alien vessels attacking scout ships in the area) and are immediately hit with weapons fire from a series of automated weapon satellites. If they can disable the satellites and venture further, they will face a highly advanced and militaristic race of non-humanoids who will seeming stop at nothing to prevent the PCs (or any other vessel) from entering their region. It will be difficult to parley with them, but if one remains persistant (or has a Betazoid or other Empath), it will be determined that terrible fear is the aliens driving motivation. Hiding inside their huge battlefortress and powered armors they are devote cowards! The origin of their attitude - An antimatter or nuclear missile that struck their homeworld X number of years earlier (the time depends on the Era the adventure is set in). In one version it was a left over from the Earth-Romulan war that drifted through space for many years. In another it was the weapon of a race of aliens extinct for centuries. Convincing the aliens that the PCs and their government are not out to destroy them won't be easy as their culture's been entirely reengineered for the upcoming "War with the Invaders" they've been expecting for decades or even centuries.

Episode 2: Someone Else's Shoes
    Inspiration: Cage A Man By F.M. Busby and the comic book Concrete By Paul Chadwick
    Era: Any

Alternate Titles: My Enemy, Myself (TOS) and Point of View

A small group of PCs are returning to the ship by shuttlecraft from an away mission when their vessel is abducted by a race of alien who sort of push the definition of humanoid to it's limits. The aliens communicate telepathically with the crew and tell them they feel bad for the PCs, trapped in their inefficient bodies. Like they have done with many other beings throughout the centuries, the superior and benevelont aliens (at least in their view) will liberate them and give them new bodies. A flash of light/ KO gas or what-have-later and the PCs awake in an alien shuttle in the bodies of these strange creatures. The PCs vessel is no doubt on it way to find out what's taking them so long to return. Now the PCs must use these bodies (which initially their humanoid brains will have difficultly controlling) to get back to their own ship and communicate what happened to the rest of the crew (and the other PCs that remained behind). Note that these new bodies are incapable of producing the sloppy, ugly and inefficent speech patterns common to humanoid races (have fun with this - we did ). Eventually the PCs will need to locate and contact the aliens who have used advanced nanotech and other medical magics to preserve the humanoid bodies for study. While they can return the PCs back to their original bodies, they don't understand why the PCs would want to do that. To the aliens it would be like the crew of a Sovereign Class saying "Can we go back to using a Constitution Class please?".

AndorMan
    All Andorian, All the Time
    Last edited by AndorMan; 04-19-2002 at 01:20 PM.

WOW! I read through all those threads. I can't believe what I have been missing all these years.

This one by qerlin is just fantastic!

EPISODE NAME: Matters of Faith
    CAMPAIGN TYPE: Exploration

On a distant world the characters find a missing expedition from the late 2200s. Caroline Palamas, former Starfleet officer, has led a bunch of people on a quest to find the Greek gods...and they did.

The world is a miniature of the Greek world, with the Gods lording it over the mortals and demigod half-breeds running around.

And the gods are NOT happy to see Starfleet come in and ruin it all.

Shake well and serve in your own personal style.
    Why is it I can see Kirk flirting with Aphrodite?

I will go through my notes and see if I have any generic sci-fi adventures and post them here. I am not all that knowledgeable of ST, (my sci-fi stuff was designed for Traveller) so I will try to find and post only the most flexable and generic ones.

I can't wait for this game to come out. Count me in!