Thread: a quickie adventure idea

a quickie adventure idea

In my ongoing quest to find adventure ideas worth stealing for Trek, I present the latest installment:

The setting for the game Living Steel.

For the many who have no idea what I'm talking about (as opposed to the few who know), Living Steel was published by Leading Edge Games and was a game about guys in powered armor who were fighting for truth, justice, and the ... um... Republican Way in a corrupt galactic empire.

What's to steal for Trek?

Well, the basic setting confines the action to a single planet, and the heroes have actually been in cold storage for a while, waiting for an opportunity to overthrow the corrupt regime and lead a popular revolution.

But we're dumping most of that.
    Here's what we're keeping:
    A world with some colonists, and a few research centers and other technical enclaves, but mainly it is a resort world. In addition to zoos filled with exotic (and dangerous) lifeforms, there are many hazardous recreational activities for guests who are so inclined. These are all perfectly safe because the entire planet is covered by a network of Transporter Satelites. Fell while rock climbing? You'll be beamed up before you hit bottom. Knocked off your surf board and can't swim? You'll be beamed to shore.

The problem is, a sudden push by the Evil Enemy Aliens (Dominion works just fine here) resulted in an attack on this planet. A little orbital bombardment to knock out the power, the destruction of most of the Transporter Satelites, and the total unpreparedness of the population leads to delightful chaos.
    Vehicles are few, medical care is fairly centralized, and many people suddenly find themselves several days walk from the nearest food (which was never a problem when you could beam to a resturant for lunch). Several kinds of dangerous beasts are on the prowl, and much of the populace doesn't know enough to not get eaten. (Especially since some of the animals have figured out that if they do tricks, the people will come closer.)
    The EEAs (Evil Enemy Aliens) seem to be content to watch the effects of their actions, almost like this was an experiment, thought there are a few pockets of their ground soldiers around.

I figure the PCs were on leave, and now the people around them (including resort staff) are looking to them for direction and leadership. Can they keep their charges alive until help arrives (however long that may be)?

If you are a particularly Evil GM, you can add the final ingredient to the mix: The EEAs also air-dropped crates of cheap weapons, and have introduced a biological agent that increases violent tendancies.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Originally posted by Liz Not Beth
    Clever. I'm stealing this idea for our game.

Like the concept of trained beasts running amok eating everyone. You're feeling mighty proud becuase you just kicked the EEA's arses and CHOMP! IT bites off your leg!
    And the first to be eaten is Federation National Park Ranger Steve Irwin [/evil]
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)

Angry

Originally posted by Robbert Raets
    And the first to be eaten is Federation National Park Ranger Steve Irwin [/evil]
    Crikey! Don't you knock Steve!
    The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train. - Murphy's Law variant