Thread: Red Alert! One-shot Academy Adventure!

Lightbulb Red Alert! One-shot Academy Adventure!

Arrgh! I need help, pplz!
    I'm almost certainly going to be running a solo adventure (ie: me and one other person) tomorrow night. Paul's character will be Nevek, a Cardassian raised by humans in his final year at the Academy, who was an NPC in an earlier adventure.

I have to get one "intro" adventure in for Paul in order to integrate Nevek into the campaign, and I am absolutely fresh out of ideas.

The only thought I had was something along the lines of him discovering some plot or another at the Academy -- perhaps something like a Changeling having replaced one of the Academy researchers or somesuch (the game year is 2371, a couple of months after the destruction of the <i>Odyssey</i>).

Pllleeeaasssee!
    Help me, TrekRPG.net forum, you're my only hope!
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

I'm guessing you either don't have, or have already run, the Starfleet Academy adventures from the box set?

How about doing something akin to Sisko's first meeting with Curzon Dax? Have him assigned to assist some Ambassador for a few days (or maybe the Ambassador takes a liking to him) and the two of them get into some wacky adventure.

Perhaps Nevek accompanies him to some conference aboard a runabout, and the two of them get shot down/crash on an alien world, and end up having to dodge Orion pirates. Or maybe they respond to a distress call, or mysterious readings from a planet en route, and stop to investigate.

Just a few quick ideas, don't know if they'll be any use to you.

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Just in case the "Hidden conspiracy at Starfleet" plot is getting a bit tired in your game/world, I'll remind you that Starfleet seems to love tests that aren't really testing for what they look like they're testing for, and playing mind games. So, it is possable that the entire conspiracy is a set-up, a test to see how the character will act.
    That said, I offer the following mind games from starfleet's past (spoilers):

When Wesley Crusher was testing for Starfleet Academy, he was waiting in a room for another test to begin when he heard an explosion. Going to investigate, he found the aftermath of a lab accident. 2 men were trapped, one unconscious and the other too scared to move. Wes only had time to save one of them.
    This was his psych test, because his father had died when Picard had to make a very similar choice.

When Troi was taking the Bridge Officers' Exam, she kept failing the Engineering test which involved an imminent warp-core breach. She only passed when she realized that it wasn't her knowledge of engineering (or rather lack thereof) that was preventing her from seeing the solution: the solution was to order Geordi to go into intense radiation and fix the injectors before he dies from the exposure. The test was to see if she could order someone to their death to save the ship.

Tuvok wrote a holodeck program where a young security officer is courted by mutineers, designed to train a loyal Starfleet Officer in how to feign loyalty with the mutineers in order to subvert them from within.

Please tell me if this was useful.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Melbourne, Australia. Winner of the First Trek Survivor Trivia Show, and Bearer of the Steve Long Pink Elephant Stamp of Learning. :)
    (BTW - the Paul Aldaron's referring to is not me. Just thought I'd mention that. )

I have to go with Spyone, here...Starfleet lurves their unannounced tests.

Remember what Tac Officer Chang said in the TNG episode Coming of Age? "Not all tests are announced, or what they appear to be." (Or something along those lines.)

In my game, the PCs began their careers as First Year Cadets. Several of their advetures were genuine problems/situations the PCs found themselves in...others were simple Starfleet tests - either announced, end-of-year ones, or those ones that pop up when the PCs least expect it.

One of those tests I ran for my PCs started out as a simple "Cadets, please go to the Professor's office and bring a couple of boxes to my office, please." Of course, the PCs just happened to notice what appeared to be a glitch in the manifest PADD - where the PADD showed some contraband instead of the artifacts supposed to be present. Then they began to investigate, led on by the officer who made the request, as well as the instructors they spoke to. The session didn't end neatly - provided some entertainment, some investigation, and a real object lesson. Made for a fun session.

IOW - play a little mind game with the PC. Enjoy yourself. Make him sweat a little.

That can be the most enjoyable thing of all.
    The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of an oncoming train. - Murphy's Law variant