Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon changes in your game

Theres only a slight change to canon in my campaign: The Dominion won the war.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Posted by Qerlin:
    Oh, on another note...the awful uniforms from TOS never existed in our campaign. They were more like the sweaters from STV (hey...a lot closer to the Pike stuff, in some ways.) The pajamas from TMP were around for a while but were universally hated.
    I actually use the TOS uniforms, all NCO's and cadets use them. Punishment for being in the position that they are...eh I'm evil.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Originally posted by Greg Smith
    Theres only a slight change to canon in my campaign: The Dominion won the war.
    Greg that's not a slight change...that's a catrastrophy. That aside, how is your game going- refugee or Jem'Hadar I've toyed with the same idea, only as an alternate universe.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

No huge break from canon in my games so far, but we have only played 4 adventures...
    Besides, my players are not Trek-fanatics (one of them hasn't even watched the series), so I guess they wouldn't react too much if I changed something in the universe, provided it's not something like the sudden disappearance of the transporter technology .

I intend to make some minor changes actually; for instance, I'd like to keep the early DS9-VOY uniform (my favourite) and wipe out of the universe the gun Ezri uses in the DS9 episode with the serial killer. You don't want my players to even know this thing exists
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5
    No huge break from canon in my games so far, but we have only played 4 adventures...
    Besides, my players are not Trek-fanatics (one of them hasn't even watched the series), so I guess they wouldn't react too much if I changed something in the universe, provided it's not something like the sudden disappearance of the transporter technology .
    I probably fall into this catagory, except I have seen much of TOS, only one or two episodes of TNG, DS9, and STV each. I have seen a few episodes of Enterprise, too.

As a casual ST fan, chaning canon like transporters might be the only thing I recognize.

As a possible newbie narrator to the setting, I am curious how other narrator's players take canon changes?

Originally posted by Phoenix

Greg that's not a slight change...that's a catrastrophy. That aside, how is your game going- refugee or Jem'Hadar I've toyed with the same idea, only as an alternate universe.
    It's going great. The players keep telling me how much they love it, so I guess I'm doing something right.

The players are refugees turned freedom fighters. They are a couple of ex-starfleet officers, an EMH and a rogue Jem'hadar mutant. At the start they had no ship and were involved uncovering a Pah wraith conspiracy amongst other things. As the game progressed they found a ship and dabbled in a few anti-Dominion things.

The end of season cliff-hanger had the Dominion on an invasion course for Bajor, with the players having the choice between unleashing the Pah wraiths to destroy the invaders or letting Bajor fall.

We are now getting into season 2 and they are making plans to build their rebellion.

For a little background, take a look at my website http://homepage.ntlworld.com/thunder...minionmain.htm
    I really must get around to updating it sometime soon.
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

Canon changes:

Series is taking place during the Dominion War, within a few months of "In the Pale Moonlight."

The Kzin exist. Their Empire borders Federation and Romulan space. They became allies with the Federation about a week ago, game time.

James T. Kirk had a nephew (not Peter) who inherited his "luck" in a manner of speaking.

Sec. 31 existed at least as far back as the Movie Era. So did another organization which was aware of it and fought against it.

Not a whole lot else.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

Canonality?

In my ongoing "Star Trek: the High Frontier" game, the following is the case:

1. Enterprise took place in the Mirror Universe. Yes, Archer and his lot are responsible for the Terran Empire, someday.

2. Sometime between TNG and DS9, Miles O'Brien was made a Warrant Officer so that he could serve as Chief of Ops on DS9. Even though my game takes place nowhere near DS9, dammit.

3. The subspace-rifts-above-Warp-5 thing did happen, but Starfleet soon learned to remodulate the warp fields of exisitng engines to get around it, or at least ameliorate it. That, plus the greater threats of Borg and Dominon War, made it go away. In my next game, I'll completely do away with this, but the subspace-rift-due-to-warpspeed thing is an integral element of ST:tHF's long term plot, so I *need* it.

4. The Organian Peace Treaty does not actually prevent war between the Klingon Empire and the UFP -- it only prevents them from warring over planets that already have neutral sentients. This is likewise germane to my plot. Besides, Kirk should have bitch-slapped those Organian peacemongers, anyway.

[For those confused by 3 and 4 ... The 3rd and 4th Season plots of THF basically involve the Klingon Empire and UFP going to war over Bridgetown and similar ruins, that are actually the remnants of the race that later *became* the Kellinan of the Kellinan Reach (as well as two other races, a la the Vulcan-Romulan schism). The Pre-Kellinan Race actually split into three factions *because* of the warpfield-damaging-subspace thing -- three political-military factions arose in the wake of their discovery of their version of the problem: one believing in amelioration by having larger, slower, multi-generational ships; one believing in amelioration by having fast but very small ships which limited the subspace tears to tiny little rips; and one believing in doing away with warp-drive at all and channeling all research into interstellar transporters. If you think *this* is complex, wait until the Bombyx -- the 'real' name of the parasites from 'Conspiracy' -- weigh into the equation, oh, yes, indeedy....]

5. Voyager went into the Delta Quadrant and came back, but every other episode either didn't happen or ... didn't happen. I've only seen about 2 dozen total Voyager eps, mind you, so this is more out of the inability to know each episode than an Anomaly-level distaste for the series.

6. Oh, and Nemesis will not be Canon for me, since my Worf is going to be staying on as Ambassador, despite the forthcoming war (see above).

BJ
    "Every subject's duty is the king's, but every subject's soul is his own." -- Shakespeare, Henry V

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Sorry, I don't mess with canon in my campaigns. If it was on screen, it happened.

Now, I have done stuff like a) including the Caitians from TAS (personal preference, since I'm a cat person ) and b) use ship classes of my own creation.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

I forgot there is one point in which my game deviates. In the Mirror Universe the Terran Empire didn't fall (ie Emporer Spock didn't go all peacenik) and they are currently engaged in the Alliance War.

I like the idea that Trek V was a holonovel...

I have it as the result of a terrorist action by Vulcan pro-emotion extremists. Records of the event have been suppressed, and the whole centre of the galaxy/god thing is rampant speculation on the part of conspiracy theorists.

My main campaign is set movie era, just during the aftermath of the Genesis and Cetacean incidents.

Basic canon changes:

The smooth-headed and ridge-headed Klingons both exist (per the FASA genetic fusion idea). Unknown to most people is that the two subraces are currently locked in a vicious civil war.

The Federation and Klingons are locked in a cold war, Starfleet is much more military-oriented at this stage. The Romulans and Federation are in rapprochment at this stage.

Enterprise is canon, but I reserve the right to drop anything that shows up that I don't like

For the future:

Voyager happened more or less as portrayed (with certain exceptions), and Starfleet knows of their status via the communication relay, but the ship has not returned from the Delta Quadrant. Behind the scenes, Timefleet stomped on Janeway as soon as she fragged the timeline to save Seven (Braxton has been proved right, and has been returned to command status ).

The U.S.S. Prometheus was a complete disaster, abandoned as impractical and inefficient in the light of lessons learnt during the Dominion War.

E.W.H.'s (Emergency whatever Holograms) are just that - for emergency use in very limited situations only. Attempts by Barclay and Zimmerman to reproduce the reported effects in the Delta Quadrant have failed miserably.

Tribbles are not extinct...
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Captain John Harriman is still around, though he's practically unfindable. He helped design the Unspecified-class.

I agree about TOS and ST5 being cheesy holonovels, though most of the events portrayed in TOS are historically accurate (in other words, I'm dropping stuff I don't like).

Voyager (mostly) happened, but Janeway is now 'Admiral of Botany' and not allowed near any kind of technology.

SF-JAG is going insane over all the 'sentience trials' for holograms popping up all over the Federation. Picard & Data have been running around defending EMH's. Barclay & Zimmerman are constantly being harrassed by the press.

Lt. Commander Thomas Riker did not involve himself with the Maquis, and probably he'll be William Riker's best man at the wedding.

Ooh! I almost forgot the Akira: she's a fighter carrier.
    The darkness inside me is a lot scarier than the darkness out there....

I don't mess with canon in my game either. But when I say that I mean I don't mess with worrying if it is canon or not.

If it seems (to us) to "fit" in the ST universe and makes for a good story - well off we go.

That said - mostly the tech bits we see on the shows are what I use. Phasers, etc., work like they do for Picard et al.

However plots I'll either take or leave. Most of the big UFP shaking events (whale probe, DW, Borg) I'll either use as is or change slightly to give the PC's a role. My DW ended with my PC's having a big role in the grand final battle, my PC's have dealt with and (believe they) have finished off the Borg.

For the "bottle show" or smaller plots I most often just ignore them since I figure in most cases the PC's don't have any reason to know what happened to Bashir on DS9. I mean - why should they even care? Even if they pass through DS9 a week after the events of an episode they won't neccesarily hear the details. If they do they'd likely get one version from Quark (or Morn) and then something else from Bashir. Who to believe?

For example - the consensus amongst SF personnel in my game is that Sisco is dead. Some (who have reason to care) have heard that the Bajorans think he has "gone to live with the Prophets" - but since they don't believe in the Prophets (and why should they) they think that's just an expression.

Mostly if I don't want to have a particular on-screen event happen I just wave it away as rumour if the player brings it up.
    TK

In my series, Star Trek - Alpha Squad, everything is canon so far. Ok, I must admit that I "expanded" some events (e.g. the first Victory was destroyed by the Borg and replaced by an Ambassador Class ship) and I got some minor problems with the stardate.
    But thats no problem at all: My players are in an alternate timeline, and the best thing is, they don't know At the moment I'm not quite sure when I will reveal that to them, but I will

"United they stand"

Canon Changes !

Well, I've had a few Canon changes over the years in my ST game, some major, some minor.

One of the biggest I guess was when James T. Kirk and the Enterprise-A were lost stopping a Romulan invasion of the UFP in the Golorndon Cor star system....a few years before the events in ST Generations took place. (played the game way before STGen came out).

Other changes are sort of minor...my game, currently set in the year 2304 (placing it between the Movie era & Next Gen) as StarFleet personel wearing uniforms that still basicaly look like the the movie era coats, except they are grey and black simaler to what we see on DS9 & the latest movies.

One of the cooler changes (IMHO) is that the main "bad guy" running around the Alpha Quadrant is Khan's brother "D'Jihn".

As the story goes in my game, shortly before the USS-Enterprise NCC-1701 first encountered the Bonty Bay Khan woke up from his suspended animation, and tossed his brothers "cold sleep" chamber overboard....Khan knew that D'Jihn would be his rival for control one day and wanted him out-of-the-way.

D'Jihn drifted in his chamber still in a state of suspended animation for years, until a race called the Thurians found him an woke him up....D'Jihn has since beer running around the Alpha Quadrant trying to form an army of "geneticaly enhanced" humans to take control of Earth....he's been a real pain in the ass for my PC's more then a few times.
    Wolf.