Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon changes in your game

Canon changes in your game

My series STAR TREK: LAKOTA takes place in 2376, right after the Dominion War. The ship is the USS Lakota under the command of Ericka Benteen, as seen in the DS9 episode "Paradise Lost." Now, I made two mistakes in putting Benteen in command of this ship:

1. On her character sheet, I wrote that she was 36 years old. I checked her bio on the PC game Starship Creator, and she's 39.

2. According to the same bio, she was courtmartialed and command of the Lakota was taken away from her; she was later given command of the Appalachia.

Now, my player doesn't know any of this, so I'm safe to have her still commanding the Lakota. My question is: What kinds have canon changes do you make for the sake of enhancing the roleplaying experience, if any? How much will you change from the established canon, and how do your players react when you do?
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

In my games Voyager, Enterprise, Star Trek V and the TNG tree-hugging episode where they gave Starfleet a speed limit are all non-existant in my games.

Richard Spake had a good idea for Star Trek V: It was a bad holonovel that the surviving crew of the original Enterprise is in litigation with the holo-authors.

Originally posted by Anomaly
    Richard Spake had a good idea for Star Trek V: It was a bad holonovel that the surviving crew of the original Enterprise is in litigation with the holo-authors.
    RTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

That is brilliance! I love it

For my game, Voyager and Enterprise are non-cannon, as well as parts of Star Trek 5.

When I finally rest this campaign and start a new one, everythin after Star Trek IV will be non-canon. I will then pick and choose my moments. Like Kirk and crew getting the Excelsior like they were supposed too

Originally posted by Anomaly
    In my games Voyager, Enterprise, Star Trek V and the TNG tree-hugging episode where they gave Starfleet a speed limit are all non-existant in my games.
    This is what is canon in my games: all the shows, including Enterprise, and all the movies except 5. That one was sooooo bad... and I agree the thing about warp drives creating subspace rifts is pretty dumb... just saw that episode two nights ago.

Everything that ever happened in all series, no matter how much I hated them, is part of my series. However, since my series is set in 2387, I took some liberties on what happened afterwards.

I killed off some of the VOY crewmembers and had Janeway court-martialed and sent to live out the rest of here existence on New Zealand penal colony. The maquis are dead, no more, completely annihilated. I excluded most mentions of small fighters and carrier ships. They don't exist much in my series.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

Oh and forgot to mention:

The Borg are alive and kicking, they still control another transport HUB, but aren't an immediate threat to the Federation as they are dealing with the rebel Borg. All the tech that VOY brought back has not been figured out yet, and some of it has gone missing (Time Police come by and spirit away the evil tech).
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."
    -Joan Robinson, economist

VOyager when into the Delta Quadrant and got creamed in the first couple of months; she was never heard from again.

Star Trek V didn't happen, but Sybok exists and is a radical that preaches the integration of emotions into Vulcan life. He does still preach logic, but rails agianst suppressing emotions.

Most of TOS didn't happen; why? the stories were great for the '60s but the science and the huge amounts of parallel Earth crap has to be ignored for realism sake...just my opinion. Game canon starts at ST:TMP, ignores STV, Generation (the horror...the horror...), but I do use Firt Contact (though I hate time travel crap), and Insurrection. I use DS9's main themes, but since I didnt watch it, I ignore a bunch out of ignorance. I use most of TNG, save a few really pathetic bits.

The 'tree-hunging' 'warp speeds are tearing up subspace' did happen -- but like a lot of environmental data today, it colored by the ideological beliefs of the scientist (we don't think humans should be cruising around the galaxy..let's try to monkey with warp travel.) It has, in our game canon, been repudiated by other scientists. the debate rages. Groups like FACT (suggested here by one of the other guys...sorry, forgot who it was & I'm too lazy to go looking...) and others who would wrap the universe in nerf so nobody gets hurt are still calling for a Warp 5 limit. Starfleet's pretty much told them to suck eggs in the aftermath of the Dominion War.

Since mine is set post DS9, I've done my own 'what happened to the characters of TNG, DS9' in the future. I won't alter it for Nemesis. Picard's an admiral and DCNO. Riker turned down too many commands to be given a starship; he is a military attache to Betazed & married Bambi...I mean Troi. Crusher's chief of staff at the academy. LaForge has his own ship -- Challenger. Worf is still ambassador to Qo'Nos. Wesley...well, who gives a s**t what happened to him. O'Brien's teaching at the academy.

The other stuff: books, etc. I haven't read 'em. I ignore 'em.

I use bits of Enterprise and ignore the glaring mistakes. The trip to Qo'Nos took a LOT longer.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Originally posted by Lt.Khrys Antos
    ...had Janeway court-martialed and sent to live out the rest of here existence on New Zealand penal colony.
    Really? In one campaign I had planned I had her promoted to Admiral and put in charge of the campaign sector.

Wow! Some people are really down on her...Don't worry I've seen the threads, but no evidence. (shrugs) I thought the character of Janeway did a great job.

To answer the question posed...Everything is included. Though since I am running a Romulan game very little comes into play. Except Enterprise of course.
    Last edited by Phantom; 04-22-2002 at 10:52 AM.

Re: Canon changes in your game

Originally posted by erhershman
    My series STAR TREK: LAKOTA takes place in 2376, right after the Dominion War. The ship is the USS Lakota under the command of Ericka Benteen, as seen in the DS9 episode "Paradise Lost." Now, I made two mistakes in putting Benteen in command of this ship:

Ignore it - who's "PC creator" or whatever to tell you how to run your game!

Really though - just watch the episode and come up with your own follow up story. She was following orders and could very well have redeemed herself during the DW, or whatever. She's certainly not the first SF Captain to have done something pretty wrong and gotten away with it.

As for the age - it is certainly possible that if a PC was tacky enough to ask the Captain's age that she might not tell them the exact truth - in fact she might even tell them to mind their own business!
    TK

Re: Canon changes in your game

Originally posted by erhershman

2. According to the same bio, she was courtmartialed and command of the Lakota was taken away from her; she was later given command of the Appalachia.

Where did you find out that She had been given command of the Applachia? I just checked out the Character and Ship Bios on the official Star Trek and She isn't listed as being in command of the Applacachia.
    The reason being is that a Captain that I am developing for use in a possible Campaign previous Command was the Applachia and She was lost defending Earth from the Breen during the Dominion War.
    "Those Klingons are up to something, I can feel it in my bones"
    Cmmdr JT Wayland
    Strategic Operations Officer, Starbase 415, Dragomer Sector, Klingon Border, 2372

Without making an incredably long post, here's My Canon in a Nutshell:

TOS was a Turner-produced historical drama, that often deviated from the facts.
    STV was the same.

Valeris was Saavik. She and Spock have a child.

W.Thomas Riker was promoted to Lt.Cmdr for his heroic evacuation of Nrevala IV. Since they were the same person right up until the moment of beaming off the planet (as the last one to beam out), and William T. Riker got promoted to Lt.Cmdr for his heroic action, there's no reason why W.Thomas would not.

Miles O'Brien goes to OCS and is Lt.O'Brien by the end of Season Three of DS9.

Voyager needs some tuning. "Threshold" is out. See me before assuming any of it is canon.

Enterprise establishes an alternate reality, so some is canon and some is not. Basicly, the "Enterprise" universe was canon right up until the begining of "Broken Bow".

Books-wise, I'm going to try to include the re-launch of DS9, but nearly all novels ore out, even novelizations.

Oh, and Cadet Nick Locarno from TNG was named Tom Paris.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Non-canon events...many little things, the major ones though- I've included various other species in my game, the Tahauri, Kinshaya, Sha'Kur, dangerous Ferengi , some other really minor species, etc...

I've also included a few non-canon starship, three I think...so far.

As far as removing items, most every thing from Enterprise. I kept the ship, but the events have changed. I like the new species, Dr. Pholx, and the Subolians (sp) (I've been toying around with their future- TNG era).

Other than that I've kept just about every thing else to date, Voyager vanished from the Cardassian border last year, we've discovered a new government in the Delta Quadrant by the name of the Dominion and things are starting to look like hostilities are eminent, the Klingons are currently at war with everyone, and were allied with the cardassians (now how'd that happen?)
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

In the new campaign I'll be starting later in the year, my canon will be everything on film except TAS. So, all TV episodes and movies are canon. I'll be setting the game sometime after DS9, and anything that I don't like I'll change with an in-game reason. Frankly, some of the "hot buttons" that people are discussing here just won't have a place in the campaign.

Re: Re: Canon changes in your game

Originally posted by Cmmdr JT Wayland

Where did you find out that She had been given command of the Applachia? I just checked out the Character and Ship Bios on the official Star Trek and She isn't listed as being in command of the Applacachia.
    The reason being is that a Captain that I am developing for use in a possible Campaign previous Command was the Applachia and She was lost defending Earth from the Breen during the Dominion War.
    The PC game called Starship Creator has character bios for the characters on the ships. It says she got the Appalachia after she was demoted to commander and later repromoted. The Appalachia fought in the battle against the Borg in First Contact, so I'm sure there must be something canon out there that says so.

"TOS was a Turner-produced historical drama, that often deviated from the facts. "

Oh, spyone, so close!! For us, TOS is the fictional account of Kirk on TNG TV -- sorta like the old westerns used to play up guys like Wyatt Earp.

Oh, on another note...the awful uniforms from TOS never existed in our campaign. They were more like the sweaters from STV (hey...a lot closer to the Pike stuff, in some ways.) The pajamas from TMP were around for a while but were universally hated.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill