Thread: Question about conversion

Question about conversion

When will we see the conversion rules for Icon>Coda up on the website? Will it be around the time the PG releases, with the NG, or will it be at some other time? (WotC had the Star wars d20 conversion rules up on their website before the actual release date.) Just wondering, because my player is anxious to convert our campaign to Coda.
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

A conversion is in the works. No ETA, yet, but it's being developed as we speak.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Speaking for myself...

I prefer to create the character using the new rules, matching as best as I can and fudging where I can't. Or, I end the campaign and begin a new campaign (possibly in the same settings) with "raw" characters created under the new rules. That has, in the past, delayed my adoption of new rules (although it won't with the new Star Trek game).

It's been my experience that no set of conversion rules covers every possible situation. Whether or not to convert characters "flexibly" depends on the maturity of the group: can they stand the possibility that someone else may "benefit", relatively speaking, from the conversion. If they can't, it's new characters all around. Most groups have been mature enough to handle it.

Of course, I say all this without having seen the ICON -> CODA conversion rules. It is certainly possible that the folks at Decipher will produce the holy grail of game upgrades, the Perfect Transformation

I've never seen a conversion that worked perfectly, or even well, in my opinion. Best thing is to remake the character in a way that feels "right".

That seemed to work for me both in converting from WEG to WotC Star Wars and from LUG to Decipher Star Trek.

Cool

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    Best thing is to remake the character in a way that feels "right".
    I agree.

With that said, I (and Decipher), understand that people want guidelines on how to convert their Icon characters. While I don’t have inside knowledge as to what their plans are on releasing those conversion guidelines (where, when, or in what format), I can tell you that I made available to them, at no cost, a set of conversion guidelines that I wrote up and have been using. They’re far from perfect but they do a good job and are the best I’ve seen thus far.

Hopefully Decipher will be releasing them (or something) in short order. Just a little more patience!
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Don Mappin

Hopefully Decipher will be releasing them (or something) in short order. Just a little more patience!
    Don't worry. I get together to play the game so infrequently, the limited edition of the PG will probably be out before my next game session comes out
    "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

-Gimli, son of Gloin (The Fellowship of the Ring)

It might also be helpful for someone to come up with a FASA - Icon conversion, as I'm sure some folks never even got around to converting their characters to the unfortunately short-lived LUG stats.

Stop looking at me like that.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook

There aleady are FASA-ICON conversions. THey used to be at TrekRPG, but I suggest checking out Owen's site. He was working on a sort of meta-conversion table.

Now a FASA-CODA conversion would be interesting.

D'OH!!!! That's what I meant. FASA- CODA.

I've been sitting too close to the computer again.
    "It's hard being an evil genius when everybody else is so stupid" -- Quantum Crook