Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Guide Errata & Typos

>>Is this an accurate representation of putting together a mixed-species character's attributes (given that species bonuses are allowed to raise a character's attributes over 12)?<<

Yep. That looks right to me.

More skill test modifier stuff

Ross, you already clarified the error on table 6.5 Academic Test Modifiers. How 'bout 6.4 and 6.6:

p.102/Table 6.4 Social Test Modifiers
    It is my guess that "Test Result" should be "Test Modifier" and that all the modifiers should have their signs reversed, with "TN" added. True?

p.103/Table 6.6 Psionic Test Modifiers
    Same as above for the Range Modifers column?

Question: on p.136, the Psionic edge says that "Your starting level in this attribute is 4." OK, no prob. However, over on p.146/Assigning Reactions it states "Lovek's Intellect 10 gives him a +2 modifier, compared to the 0 modifier from Perception. He chooses Intellect as the governing attribute and begins with Psi 2." What did I miss?

Minor errata: p.71/Table 3.10 Ops Officer Skills - the Engineer officer's professional skills....

Liking the book so far...

-- Daniel
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Yep. That looks right to me.
    Okay, cool (Narrators beware... ). So, you expect the mixed-species characters to be a slight cut above full blooded characters as far as attributes are concerned?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Originally posted by Sea Tyger
    Okay, cool (Narrators beware... ). So, you expect the mixed-species characters to be a slight cut above full blooded characters as far as attributes are concerned?
    Clearly if you optimize your character as such (e.g. the pick method and setup 'throwaway' scores), then yes.

If you're shooting to min/max your character, a mixed-species background is the way to do it. If you use the random method (my preference), you could roll really bad, too. That doesn't mean that mixed-species are inherently weaker, though.

I don't think the warning should be for Narrator's to look out for mixed-species characters as a source of abuse, I think the warning should be for Narrators to look out for players that will try to abuse playing a mixed-species character.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Don, this is too funny to let it slip!

You're bumping a sticky thread!

Dunno, put 'Update' or something else... I can't avoid to have a laugh at it each time I open it...
    Insurance is like marriage. You pay and pay but you never get anything back. - Al Bundy

If you use the random method (my preference), you could roll really bad, too. That doesn't mean that mixed-species are inherently weaker, though.
    I agree. My question was meant specifically for choosing attributes; I should have been clearer about that.

I think the warning should be for Narrators to look out for players that will try to abuse playing a mixed-species character.
    As was my intent. Thanks for the insight. Is it safe to say that mixed-species characters, in general, have a slight advantage with regard to their attributes?
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    1. I,m assuming this is just a printing error.

The Bajoran Starfleet Ops Officer archetype appears to have a green collar and cuffs.

Just another thought...

Has anybody tried to photocopy the character sheets yet? To me they look like they will come out very dark and hard to read.
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

I just downloaded Don's pdf file. Muuuch better.
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Cool

Originally posted by Dr. Jonas Bashir
    Don, this is too funny to let it slip!

You're bumping a sticky thread!
    I'm 'bumping' it not to move it up the list but to "re-add" it as a new thread to people who use the 'Search for new threads' option. That way the thread appears as updated to them.

There's a method to my madness. Trust me.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Sho-sa's answers

>>p.102/Table 6.4 Social Test Modifiers
    It is my guess that "Test Result" should be "Test Modifier" and that all the modifiers should have their signs reversed, with "TN" added. True? <<

No. If you're trying to influence someone loyal or devoted to you, you get to add +10 to your dice result.

>>p.103/Table 6.6 Psionic Test Modifiers
    Same as above for the Range Modifers column? <<

No. If you're at point blank range, you get to add +2 to your dice result.

>>Question: on p.136, the Psionic edge says that "Your starting level in this attribute is 4." OK, no prob. However, over on p.146/Assigning Reactions it states "Lovek's Intellect 10 gives him a +2 modifier, compared to the 0 modifier from Perception. He chooses Intellect as the governing attribute and begins with Psi 2." What did I miss? <<

Not something you missed. Something we missed. Lovek starts with Psi 4 and gets nothing from Intellect or Perception.

>>Minor errata: p.71/Table 3.10 Ops Officer Skills - the Engineer officer's professional skills.... <<

Nice catch. =)

None of the examples I see in the book actually apply the species skills 'inline sidebar'. I can't figure out which archetypes have applied them, and no in-line text example uses them.

Therefore, I must ask: "Every character receives a number of skill picks equal to Int x 2"? Does this mean the Intellect score or the Intellect modifier?

I mean, by that rule,a maxed-out Vulcan is throwing 28 pts at History, Culture, Religion, Languages, etc. ... so I just want to confirm.

BJ
    "Every subject's duty is the king's, but every subject's soul is his own." -- Shakespeare, Henry V

Good question. I had wondered that myself, but then decided it must be the INT score, since otherwise only characters with a modifier would get any.

Of course, it would be nice to have that confirmed

"You can't take a picture of this; it's already gone." -Nate Fisher, Six Feet Under.

Question on Commendations:

On p.132, the description says that you must expend a number of picks equal to the Commendation level you wish. Does this mean (via the advancement rules that an edge costs 2 picks) that a Commendation 1 costs 2 picks and a Commendation 2 costs 4?
    Davy Jones

-- The Wizard of Oz

Talking heavy stun at close range

In the first TNG episode with the Pakleds it said that repeatingly stunning someone will lead to damage.

"the Emergency Medic and Ship's Doctor professional development packages descriptions have truncated text."

ohhhhhhhhhhh ok naaaaa forget it, who cares!

...........WHAT?! really?! ohhh wowowowow!

when can I see it?

beg plead grovel..........
    Last edited by jedimuldoon; 04-27-2002 at 01:45 PM.

Re: Sho-sa's answers

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    [BNo. If you're trying to influence someone loyal or devoted to you, you get to add +10 to your dice result.

No. If you're at point blank range, you get to add +2 to your dice result.

[/B]
    Thanks, for the answers Ross. I knew they would work that way. I guess I forgot to ask the next question which is "Why do some of the tables modify the TN and some modify the test result?" I was trying to make things consistent (to my mind).

-- Daniel
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."