Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Guide Errata & Typos

>>For example, the negative TN modifiers on academic tests due to mind imparing circumstances. It is acctually suppose to be a positive modifiyer. That is a mojor rules point that can cause a bit of a problem with game. <<

I can explain how something like this can occur.

Everyone in the office is clear about how modifiers should work. The table is typed up correctly. Then someone says "waitaminit!" and makes an argument for one table to be different from the others. The table is modified. Then, someone else comes a long and says "won't that be confusing?" and the table is changed back. Then, someone else comes along and says "no, won't be confusing at all." Back goes the table. But then someone misses something and adds an error at the last moment.

And by this point, everyone is so confused as to whether or not it should be a + to the TN or a – to the test result, that it slips through.

Two months later, when no one has even thought about the PG and has moved on to something else, and we see the table in question it all becomes clear.

It's really a problem when you're working with 200+ pages of text between five people and you're looking at it every day for a year and you think the text says what you mean because how could it say otherwise? When in reality you're (us) putting in your own spin and seeing things that aren't there. After a while, you don't see that there are minus signs where there should be plus signs, or you think they're right when they're wrong.

It's a wonder there aren't more typos and erratta in all RPGs, actually.

Re: Answer Grab Bag 3

Originally posted by RIsaacs
    This has been the bone of contention in the office for almost a year now.

Modifiers that modify the TN are circumstances controlled by the Narrator. The Narrator tells you when the room is dark or when you don't have sufficient equipment, and this modifies the TN.

Modifiers that modify the test result are circumtances under the Player's control. If your character has an edge that gives you a +2 to a test result, that's because YOU control that. It's innate to your character.
    Thanks again, Ross. I had a feeling this was at least the original point of divergence. Given a say in an eventual second edition (or even corrected printing of 1st ed), I would vote for making all of tables 6.3 - 6.6 consistent (read: mods to TN). Since their all entitled Xxxxx Test Modifiers, and all have the same purpose, I think it really muddies the waters to mix and match the approaches. (Just trying to add some weight to that side of the argument for those office discussions.) As for player-controlled mods, I'd say the mods from traits are where the player controlled factors should come into play (and thus test result mods). Everything else should be TN modifiers. This makes the distinction very clear.

Again, thanks. An overall fine job. Can't wait for the NG.

-- Daniel
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

Dan: Based on the way the Starship Duty professional ability works, I would say either options 1 or 2 would work.

Lockhart: If you didn't have the other prerequisites for the Command Officer class, you would have to buy Starship Duty again to get the second elite profession. In the description of Starship Duty, it specifically states that you can choose the ability more than once.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

For combined actions-

Is the -5 TN for supporting characters correct? or should that be a +5 TN?

Just a question

Will the special edition set have the proper errata already fixed or simply an insert?

Thanks in advance

AslanC, I do not thing the Limited Edition (or special edition) will have the corrections in it. I distinctly remember Don stating something to the effect that the pages for the Limited Edition have already been printed, though I could be mistaken (I hope I am).

At any rate, here is to hoping the first printing of the PG sells enough copies to necessitate a quick second printing.

P.S. I just went back and reviewed the post in which Don talks about the LE pages being printed. It is on the first page of this tread.

Tonyg, the -5 TN modifier for the participants skill test seems correct. My reasoning is this: the participants are not attempting to complete the entire task by themselves they are only completing a smaller part of the big picture, thus it seems logical that they should have a lower TN than someone attempting to complete the entire task. Of course the only people that can provide a definitive answer are the desiners themselves.

I have said it before, but I just have to say it again. This coda system impresses me more and more with each new rule I read and feature I discover. This system adds a certain "pseudo-complexity" that d20 normally lacks. I like it! I can not wait to run a game with my gaming group.

Maybe me and my group are thick, (or we're just missing it somewhere), but does anyone know why the archtypes have two favored attributtes? At first I thought it might be a racial favored and a profession favored but I don't find anything in the book on a racially favored attribute. Anybody have any ideas.
    Thanks
    7shadows

7shadows (that is a unique name, what is the story behind it), the game allows for two favored attributes. The first one is determined by your profession, and the second one you choose (though your profession does give you suggestions). The exact rules reference is in the professions chapter under attributes, I believe. Yes, it is on page 51 second column.

Gracias EW,
    Yup there it is! Missed the silly thing completely. Thanks now I just have to tell my players and all will be right with the universe.
    Oh my name is from a group of super heroes whose only comic appearance consisted of a one page panel in which they were all all ready dead. I forgot to add my sig line on the board, its a quote direct from the issue that makes it a little more clear. Thanks again for the help!
    7shadows
    "They were known as the Seven Shadows--A loose affiliation of second-tier mystery men who protected the windy city from all things profane."
    "Are They...?"
    "Dead? Quite."-Johnny Sorrow to Sand Jsa # 18

Perception & Psionic edge

On page 80 under the description of the Perception stat it says "it can affect your initial Psi score, see the Psionic edge, page 136).

There is no mention of this on page 136.

Is this something that was changed, or does you perception modify your staring Psi in some way?
    Greg

"The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had."
    Madworld, Donnie Darko.

half breeds

I noticed that the half races can min/max easily. I would like to know why the half races get the full stats. is this a typo or is it canon. I know spock was not as strong as regular vulcans. Dianna troy was not as strong with her mental abilities as her mother or the other Betazoids.. Am I missing something.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.

Page 120/2nd column under the additional modifiers heading for the medicine skill.

"Using Medicine to treat a member of ampther (I take it that is another?) species. . . ."

Silverthorn,

Read item 4 in the sidebar on page 29 about mixed species. It mentions that such character's abilties are often of a lesser degree than thier parents. This would be something that the player and narrator would need to work out for the character.

BTW, I don't exaclt agree with your examples. While Diana's PSI abilities were limited, Spock appeared to be as strong as a full Vulcan. In fact, he seemed stronger than most of the Vulcans who appeared during the series.

will look as soon as the book gets into my greedy hands...
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.