Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Player Guide Errata & Typos

Player Guide Errata & Typos

I wanted to see if there will be a useful forum to note typos or other errata. Leave suggestions or clarifications to other threads.

To this end, I suggest each post be titled by Page # and Location reference (i.e. table or column/paragraph) followed by the typo/error.

For example:

Page 2/Playtesters: Don Moppin should be Mappin, right?

Page 181/Archaic Weapons Table Entry: crossbow entry listed twice

Will this be useful for anyone... Decipher? Perhaps incorporable for a second printing of the PG or even the Limited Edition.

Charles
    "Everything happens for a reason..."

Re: Player Guide Errata & Typos

Originally posted by ImperialOne
    I wanted to see if there will be a useful forum to note typos or other errata. Leave suggestions or clarifications to other threads.
    Errata always useful! Want me to upload my massive list?

Page 2/Playtesters: Don Moppin should be Mappin, right?
    Damn him! Always getting all the credit!

Page 181/Archaic Weapons Table Entry: crossbow entry listed twice
    As George pointed out that's the special repeating crossbow...
    Perhaps incorporable for a second printing of the PG or even the Limited Edition.
    Second printings--the LE pages have already been printed, TMK.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Superfluous Astericks... a Typo?

One of the things that I have done is skip ahead and look at the damage effects, especially phaser settings >8. I vaguely remember a thread on this board of TrekRPGnet in which it is indicated the Kill/Disinitegrate effect at settings >8, which I verified on Page 183.
    However, the "Kill*" damage effect listed for phaser settings 9 and up (on Pg 183) have that asterick next to it, lumping it into the same reference to the Appendix on "Stun Effects" on Page 251 (Table A.14: Stun Effects). Yet, IIRC based on the spirit of the aforementioned thread, the Kill result doesn't allow for any save (as opposed to the stun settings).
    Will someone of Command Rank authority clarify this for me... am I correct?
    If so, do you think this falls under the category of "Typo" (superfluous asterick)... or needs further clarification (perhaps in the PG's second printing).

Perrryyy Guest
    If we did that, we'd have to rip apart LUG books. I'm not sure how anyone would feel about that

Yet again I am somewhat confused. Is the ST PG out yet? I was at my "local" gaming store today and they no new info. Has Dec. added stealth shipping to its stealth marketing?

Welcome to Canada dude

In a blod move Decipher decided to ship straight from the printers to the distributors in Canada (as the printer, Quebecor is here in Montreal) but they claim Quebecor screwed up and only shipped to half the distributors that were supposed to get it on Monday. Those that got it had preorders, and possibly some extra order stock, but not enough to go around. Quebecor is supposed to send the rest on Wed or Thursday.

Gotta love the compentancy of the Middle-Middle man

It's funny to think that thousands of PGs are in a location that is a 5 minutes drive from where I live... now where did I put my ski mask and my crowbar?
    "Oh better far to live and die
    Under the brave black flag I fly,
    Than play a sanctimonious part
    With a pirate head and a pirate heart!"

Re: Superfluous Astericks... a Typo?

Originally posted by ImperialOne
    However, the "Kill*" damage effect listed for phaser settings 9 and up (on Pg 183) have that asterick next to it, lumping it into the same reference to the Appendix on "Stun Effects" on Page 251 (Table A.14: Stun Effects). Yet, IIRC based on the spirit of the aforementioned thread, the Kill result doesn't allow for any save (as opposed to the stun settings).
    Well, on page 251, under "Stun, Kill, an Disintegration Effects", it clearly states that "when set to accomplish these effects, the weapon does not inflict damage normally, but instead initiates a reaction test to determine the final outcome of the attack." Unfortunately, the remaining text in the section (and the accompanying table) deal only with Stun damage. So what type of reaction test, and what the TN would be are still up in the air until I can get an official answer from TPTB. But it is being looked into.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Thanks to the quick response, though we still await an answer from TPTB... my initial take is that there is no save for the Kill effect.... in which case, some clarification (and asterick removal) is in order

Lightbulb Found it in the What is Old is New Again

Ross' notes on how hand phasers work from 3/26/2002:
    Perhaps this will give us some insight until TPTB enlighten us.

Ross speaketh:

Hand Phasers
    How do hand phasers work?

One of the first things Owen Seyler and I agreed upon when working on the technology chapter was that the old Icon System way of handling phaser damage was clunky and dumb. It was hard to keep track of stun damage vs. real damage and what's the point of 120d6 damage?

So, here's how it works. The stun settings stun you for a variable number of rounds depending on the setting. No damage is caused to the character. They just fall down unconscious. Think of it as a wand of sleep spells. =)

For the middle settings, the phaser causes variable points of damage based on the setting. Works just like in the Icon System.

For the higher, disintegrate settings, you get hit, you die. Doesn't matter what your wound points are. Doesn't matter if it's vaporize setting 13 or 14. There is no rolling damage. Think of it as a wand of instant death. Whether you glow blue and disappear or glow green and disappear is purely a story consideration. =)

And for Enterprise you can just eliminate those pesky "middle settings" on your phasers. "This ones 'stun' and this ones 'kill'"

Charles

I'm going to try to reach the esteemed Mr. Isaacs on the phone today to clear up a number of little rule questions that have cropped up. I've got a good idea of the answers already, but I want to run them by "the Man."

More...later.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Sure, post your typos here. Including a page number would help me identify the problem.

As for the Kill* entry, there is no reaction test to keep from being disintegrated. You can shrug off stun effects, but not rock exploding effects. As far as I understand, there is no reaction test for the Kill* setting. The asterisk may be a hold over from an earlier edition of the rules.

Dan Moppin worked hard playtesting the PG, and I think he deserves the recognition.

KILL the astericK!

Thanks Ross for being so attentive to the Forum. If you or Don are aware, will there be an errata/clarification listing (like they do for their CCGs) at the Decipher website or will theyjust be incorporated in the next printing (when would that be?).

Charles

My understanding is that there will be both a FAQ and errata pages up on the Decipher website "soon."

Thumbs up

I've put a read-only thread with all the 'official' rules questions (and answers) here.

Please continue to pose questions and I will update this master thread as new information becomes available!
    Contributor, Gnome Stew