Thread: Defiant Crew List

Defiant Crew List

I'm going to be running a Movie Era game on a ship with a crew of 38. Does anyone have the crew breakdown for a defiant class ship?

Thanks.

A Defiant in the movie era..? That's a bit imbalanced, isn't it?

Our Defiant had a breakdown of:
    40 personnel total
    10 officers, 30 emlisted.
    Command: 3 (CO, XO, Boatswain)
    Operations: 12
    Engineering: 12
    Tactical: 11
    Medical: 1
    Science: 1
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Unfortunatly I cannoy help there...

However, it has been postulated in the past that the level of automation and redunancy has increased since the TOS/Movie era to TNG...

Hence the Connie has a crew of 400+ (depending on sources) while the similarly sized Intrepid has only 150.

Thus, by that token a ship with a crew of 38 would likely be the equal of a TNG Runabout, short mission stats, with 'hot-bunking' and several people covering similar if not the same jobs...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Well not quite the defiant. I'm using a design from Ex Astris Scientia...The Kestrel class which looks alot like the defiant. The normal crew for that thing is like 150, but i wanted a ship that was small enough so one of the PC's could be captain. SO i took the basic crew from the TOS SRM that i liked and there ya have it.

Once upon a time, (at http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...w&pagenumber=2 if it is of interest) I took a pretty good guess at the crew breakdown of the Galaxy Class Enterprise, then used those numbers to do the same for Voyager. This was pre-spacedock, and I think I did fairly well, although I understand more about rank and allocation now than I did then.
    I'll have to revisit those numbers.

Anyhow, I can fairly easily work out the numbers for a TNG-era crew of 40, which I hope you will find useful at least as a basis to modify to your needs.

Just guessing, I'd probably go with:

Command: 1 LtCmdr, 1 Ens
    OPS: Merged with Engineering
    Security/Tactical: 2 enlisted
    Engineering: 1 Lt, 5 Ens, 18 enlisted
    Medical: 1 Lt, 2 enlisted corpsmen/EMTs
    Councelor: combined with CMO
    Science: 1 Lt, 1 Ens, 8 enlisted

That's 1 LtCmdr, 3 LT, 7 Ens, and 30 enlisted, Total 41 crew.

The CO is a LtCmdr mainly because I doubt anyone below that rank gets command of a ship. In the TV show McHale's Navy, the entire crew of the PT boat (less than 20 guys)was enlisted except for the CO, LtCmdr McHale, and his XO Ensign Parker, for example.
    On a ship this small, the Doctor does not get a Nurse.
    The Chief Engineer probably doubles as XO, Since the CMO should not. Or, change the Command Ens to a Lt and make him XO.
    In fact, all the officers under Engineering can be enlisted instead. Or Warrant Officers.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )

Originally posted by spyone
    Once upon a time, (at http://forum.trek-rpg.net/showthread...w&pagenumber=2 if it is of interest) I took a pretty good guess at the crew breakdown of the Galaxy Class Enterprise, then used those numbers to do the same for Voyager. This was pre-spacedock, and I think I did fairly well, although I understand more about rank and allocation now than I did then.
    I'll have to revisit those numbers.

Anyhow, I can fairly easily work out the numbers for a TNG-era crew of 40, which I hope you will find useful at least as a basis to modify to your needs.

Just guessing, I'd probably go with:

Command: 1 LtCmdr, 1 Ens
    OPS: Merged with Engineering
    Security/Tactical: 2 enlisted
    Engineering: 1 Lt, 5 Ens, 18 enlisted
    Medical: 1 Lt, 2 enlisted corpsmen/EMTs
    Science: 1 Lt, 1 Ens, 8 enlisted

That's 1 LtCmdr, 3 LT, 7 Ens, and 30 enlisted, Total 41 crew.

The CO is a LtCmdr mainly because I doubt anyone below that rank gets command of a ship. In the TV show McHale's Navy, the entire crew of the PT boat (less than 20 guys)was enlisted except for the CO, LtCmdr McHale, and his XO Ensign Parker, for example.
    On a ship this small, the Doctor does not get a Nurse.
    The Chief Engineer probably doubles as XO, Since the CMO should not. Or, change the Command Ens to a Lt and make him XO.
    In fact, all the officers under Engineering can be enlisted instead. Or Warrant Officers.

Thanks for the info. I upped the crew to 54. I was using spacedock numbers but i found that it spread the crew out pretty evenly so i'm juist sort of winging it. This is how i have the crew :

Command: 1 Lt.Commander, 2 Lt
    Operations: 1 Ensign, 17 enlisted
    Engineering: 1 Lt, Ensign, 10 enlisted
    Security: 1 Lt, 2 Ensigns, 10 enlisted
    Medical: 1 Lt, 1 Ensign, 2 Nurses
    Science: 1 Lt, 3 Enlisted

Spyone if you'd give me any thought on my crew break down i'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Updating my guesswork to 54 crew:

Command: 1 LtCmdr, 1 Lt.
    OPS: combined with engineering
    Security/Tactical: 1 Ens, 5 enlisted
    Engineering: 1 Lt, 17Ens, 23enlisted
    Medical: 1 Lt, 2 enlisted
    Science: 2 Ens, 10 enlisted

That gets 64. Okay, my math is off somewhere.

Your numbers were:

Command: 1 Lt.Commander, 2 Lt
    Operations: 1 Ensign, 17 enlisted
    Engineering: 1 Lt, Ensign, 10 enlisted
    Security: 1 Lt, 2 Ensigns, 10 enlisted
    Medical: 1 Lt, 1 Ensign, 2 Nurses
    Science: 1 Lt, 3 Enlisted

My only complaint with this is the Nurses. Nurses are Officers, rank at least Ensign. I think this ship is too small to rate Nurses for the Doctor. Oh, and I'd make one of the Lt's from Command an Ensign instead, and probablt the Helmsman.

Again, my figures are based on a misunderstanding of how ranks are used, and yours looks better for that.
    You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn Pro
    We're hip-deep in alien cod footsoldiers. Define 'weird'.
    (I had this cool borg smiley here, but it was on my site and my isp seems to have eaten my site. )