Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan's Review of the Player's Guide

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    Ok, I just have to ask. What "character" did Loki your dog play
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

Loki played Cassiopea, Captain Jasmine Kharn's dog. He didn't like the gender change too much, but he's a good roleplayer.

He also reminded us when it was time to take potty breaks (or play with the dog breaks).

Technically, he never signed an NDA, so if you speak dog you might get all sorts of tidbits out of him.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom, Earth, Sector 001
    Ahh, so when will the elite profession "Captains pet" be posted, along with playing tips from Loki himself.
    -------------------------
    Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

"In time of war, the law falls silent"

Admiral Ross to Dr Bashir

My 2 cents on the Player's Guide

Ok, I just read through what I thought were the crucial sections of the book and created a couple of simple NPCs and a PC.

Like some of you, I'm also a 'rules-lite' Narrator, using only those rules that I feel make sense to the game. That's one thing I liked about the FASA system; they always encouraged you to use their rules as a baseline, but to use only those you felt were necessary as long as the game made sense. Decipher seems to be continuing that trend.

The Star Trek history information, as well as the current state of the Federation, are excellent. Decipher not only makes no assumptions about the types of characters you want to create, they assume you know nothing about Star Trek. You can know little to nothing about Trek and get up and running with what's in this book.

I have one key suggestion: *** How about a Quick Character Creation Cheat Sheet? *** I think FASA did this with either their later version of the Trek RPG rulebook or with later versions of their character sheets. They also included some handy sample summary sheets and tables with their GameMaster's screen. One frustrating thing about the Decipher guide was that I found myself going back and forth between the skills/traits chapters and the Development chapter. There should be some type of step-by-step, cookbook summary for those who want to just get up and running quickly. This cookbook can point players to the appropriate chapters for other details. Just a thought.

Also, I was surprised not to see Andorians, Tellarites, and Deltans as available character races. Maybe in the next edition?

That's it for now. Decipher is doing a nice job. Looking forward to getting the Narrator's guide and screen. By the way,any idea on what the starship combat rules will be like, and will there be miniatures? Thanks.

-Maltese_Falcon

Re: My 2 cents on the Player's Guide

[i]I have one key suggestion: *** How about a Quick Character Creation Cheat Sheet? *** I think FASA did this with either their later version of the Trek RPG rulebook or with later versions of their character sheets. They also included some handy sample summary sheets and tables with their GameMaster's screen. One frustrating thing about the Decipher guide was that I found myself going back and forth between the skills/traits chapters and the Development chapter. There should be some type of step-by-step, cookbook summary for those who want to just get up and running quickly. This cookbook can point players to the appropriate chapters for other details. Just a thought.[/b]
    As stated elsewhere, the illustrations on pages 20-21 are intended as just that sort of "cookbook" instruction. If you start at the top of page 20 and go through both pages to the bottom of page 21, they give you everything you need to know to make a starting character.

Also, I was surprised not to see Andorians, Tellarites, and Deltans as available character races. Maybe in the next edition?
    The species selections, according to Ross, were made based on what species all the major characters were in each of the four TV series. The Andorians, Orions and Romulans will be in the Narrator's Guide. Any others will have to wait at least until the Aliens book currently on the schedule.
    Former Decipher RPG Net Rep

"Doug, at the keyboard, his fingers bleeding" (with thanks to Moriarti)

In D&D3E, Abyssal is not the language of evil vacuum cleaners.

Talking

I just wanted to whine that all the new posts every morning are making my eyes bleed.

Carry on.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Originally posted by Captain Leana Craig
    Ahh, so when will the elite profession "Captains pet" be posted, along with playing tips from Loki himself.
    Hmm, when we have rules for Orion dancing girls, the Edge "Captain's pet" can take on a whole new meaning... Archer can keep his dog and Kirk his Tribble, I'll get me something MUCH more interesting...