Thread: Mixed species characters as uber-PCs

Mixed species characters as uber-PCs

Has anyone else noticed mixed species characters having incredibly high attributes? Perhaps my group simply contains phenominal dice rollers, but both of the mixed species characters created in my group have not had an attribute below 10.
    We are putting in a house rule for rolling the stats - instead of creating the two sets of stats in the normal way (roll nine and discard the lowest three), we will roll six for each since you will already have the option to discard two numbers from one set and four from the other.
    Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite
    -Karl Popper

You dont have to roll the stats at all... Just use the pick method of applying the stats

11, 9, 8, 7, 7 and 4 and then spreading a further 8 points among them.

Of course, its very easy to apply all 8 points to ensure 4 of one set are over 10, and two of the other set are over 10... but if thats done to the exclusion of a well-balanced set of stats for a non-mixed species character (ie; all 8 points are put into 4 stats, and the second set ensure two sets of 12... Its highly likely that the playeris simply Powergaming)...

Personally I miss the need to purchase a mixed species advantage to gain this bonus, and may implement it anyway...

My take had always been that cosmetic differences, with no real benefit gave a single set of Stats but the character could call themselves 'mixed species'
    ie; Simon Tarses would have the Human Template, and Spock would use the Vulcan Template, so while they were mixed species, there was no real benefit until the character went into play and had access to develop aspects of the alternate species...

However if the character was a true hybrid developing aspects of both species, then the character would be required to purchase the advantage to gain the benefit of the mixed templates.
    ie; Belanna Torres, with her Human emotions and intellect, and Klingon strength, vitality and temperament...

However I have not looked into the mixed species too deeply... If you want to avoid forcing a new Advantage, you could simply keep the dice rolls for a single character and mix the species attribute bonuses. with +/- cancelling each other out???
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Our group noticed this flaw from the get-go.

We made the PC using one set of stats and the player can choose which species bonuses to take as long as they balance. Treat special skills as per the text.
    Kronok

I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly because we are Jem’Hadar. Remember, victory is life.

"The D20 System is the heart of the classic fantasy roleplaying experience, the game that has taught us all how to be munchkins. There is no way we could do it with any other system."

Originally posted by Kronok
    We made the PC using one set of stats and the player can choose which species bonuses to take as long as they balance. Treat special skills as per the text.
    That was pretty much my take - set up two sets of attirbutes based on one set of die rolls or picks, then pick according to the four/two rule.

I can't see that being unbalanced...
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)

Hi all. I created a NPC ally/antagonist for my gaming group, he's a cardassian-klingon mix...you can find him...

HERE

What do you think?

JustaGM

Half-breeds

I have not yet gotten the game, but in instances like this, I would total the bonuses from both races and divide by 2.. as in a vulcan has a high str, but a human has a normal str, a half vulcan would not be as strong as his vulcan parent.

simple.
    May your worlds be at peace. Never assume, that the pointy eared first officer is Vulcan.