Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Reguarding the TOS SRM

Internet access from home? Amazing! Next thing you know, we'll be able to watch movies on bright, shiny disks instead of film. The world is an amazing place!

Glad to hear the move has been successfully completed.

Steve Long
    HERO System Line Developer

The book looks really nice, Steve. Good job, even if in a couple of cases I didn't reach the same conclusions as you regarding the FJTM ships.

One thing: In the fleet data for the Constitution-class, you've got both the USS Republic and the USS Yorktown being converted to the USS Enterprise-A.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Originally posted by PGoodman13
    IT'S HERE!!! IT'S HERE!!! ::does a Snoopy dance in sheerest joy::
    Where is "here," exactly? I can't find it in the Computer Core. Can somebody link this puppy?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
    --Mentat Coffee Mantra

It is in the computer core, under netbooks, scroll right down to the bottom of the Spacedock-related list.

Nice to see my name in print once again (sorry, I live for the testreading accolades and the associated Steve Long Pink Elephant of Knowledge awards!!)
    "That might have been the biggest mistake of my life..."

"It is unlikely. I predict there is scope for even greater mistakes in the future given your obvious talent for them."

Vila and Orac, Blake's Seven

Thanks Don & Steve!!!!!!

Karg

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!
    Originally posted by PGoodman13
    IT'S HERE!!! IT'S HERE!!! ::does a Snoopy dance in sheerest joy::
    Well, so much for work.
    I'll be much too busy for a couple hours.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those
    who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
    Dante Alighieri

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Sandra

"Michael Moore is reminiscent of a heavy-handed Leni Riefenstahl, who glorified Nazism in the 1930s." Peter Worthington, Toronto Sun.

THANKS!

Thanks, Steve, for taking the time to write this, and thanks, Don, for hosting it!

I know I'm stepping in it up to my eyebrows, but....

Please explain to me how the Galaxy class Dorsal Saucer Phaser Array has 200 emmitters and how 1 phaser bank on the Constitution class has 140 (160?) emmitters? Now, mind you I'm only taking this information from Spacedock and the TOS manual...if these are typos nows the time to say so. Only because if its not a typo then you have a serious problem. The Enterprise-A has 12 banks of 140 (160?) emmitters, while the Enterprise-D has 9 arrays ranging from 100-200 emmitters each...it doesn't add up to me...the Ent-A SHOULD have less firepower (emmitters too) than the Ent-D.

"I'm sorry, I do this really stupid thing...its called thinking, and it makes me a bad American because I form my own ideas and opinions..." - George Carlin.

Although I do like the cannons on the Miranda class..."channeled phasers" makes sense...100+ emmitters doesn't. Again, I can understand arbitrarily picking 200 emmitters for the Galaxy's Dorsal Phaser Array, but that 1 phaser bank on the Ent-A has 100+ emmitters?
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

WIANSL I'll throw in my 0.02€.

First off, IMHO your comparison isn't exactly accurate. 6 of the 12 emitters on the Enterprise-A are only single emitter banks that do only 85 damage. Hardly comparable to the Galaxy's Type X phasers at 200 damage each. And while the rest of the E-A's phasers do a lot of damage (170 compared to the Galaxy's 200) these are channeled phasers, meaning they are more prone to damage and cost a lot of extra SUs.

As for the actual number of emitters:
    As the number of emitters relates directly to the number of shots per round IMHO less emitters on the Enterprise-A wouldn't do the ship justice.
    Another thing to take into account is the larger firing arc possible with arrays. The Constitution needs 2 or 3 of its phaser banks to cover the same firing arc as the Galaxy can cover with just a single array.

Sure, it looks like a lot of firepower, but I don't think it's unjustified. As always YMMV of course.

BTW, the Constitution's phaser banks have 120 emitters each, the maximum number of emitters for any phaser in this era (SRM4, page 16).

Please pardon me whilst I point to my signature line and then I promptly give myself a boot to the head.

Its that damn foot in mouth disease again.
    Darth Sarcastic

"Shall I goto 'Red Alert' sir? It does mean changing the lightbulb." - Kryten, Red Dwarf

Very nice - and well worth the wait!

It's nice to finally see a wide selection of TOS-era ships for the game. I was especially pleased to see the Franz Joseph variants making an appearance (even the dreadnought!), although I disagree with a couple of minor details (mainly the in-service dates)

All-in-all, a nice piece of work!

Thanks, Steve and co!
    Jon

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea is asleep and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song.
    Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
    THE DOCTOR, "Survival" (Doctor Who)