Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iconians?

Smile Iconians?

I may starting a game up in a couple of weeks, and one of my early adventures I'm planning a story about the Iconians sort of related to the ST:TNG episode "Contagion"
    if I can get any input from you guys about this that would be great.

------------------
    it's pretty obvious that the Borg never played "Risk" as a little collective.

Wink

I too have been thinking about having my PCs discover an Iconian gateway. This could make for an excellent campaign as the PCs are pulled into a far distant world. Then to find their way back home they would have to find another Iconian gateway (give the PCs a device which they could use to hone in on the locations of various gateways or they could find a galactic map showing the locations of all the gateways at the site of the first gateway they discovered. The map itself would be very valuable.)

At each location they would have an adventure as they tried to reach the gateway or perhaps convince a government or organization that is currently using the gateway for their own purpose.

You could have these gateways spread all over the galaxy. Encounters could range from dealing with the Borg to the Dominion to discovering the Iconians themselves.

As has been shown on TNG and DS9, one gateway existed in the Neutral Zone and the other somewhere in the Gamma Quadrant. In my opinion, the Iconians travelled throughout the entire galaxy and maybe even beyond that. Some gateways could lead to other galaxies.

Hope this helps. It helped me solidify some ideas that I've been toying around with in my head.

Good thread!

Talking

Check out the adventure Enter Chimera on Don's board. Hope you can pull some ideas from that.

Exclamation

I had toyed with this idea with this idea too, a few months ago actually, I had begun some preliminary write ups for an Iconian adventure.
    Oh no! Watch out! It's the crossover vortex!
    I am running with the possiblity that the Iconians are actually the species known as the Ancients from "Stargate SG-1". For anyone whos seen the show, the Ancients are a species who scientific and technological advancements allowed them to create the Stargate-system. The Ancients disappeared, and few traces of them were ever found.
    The story line I am running is as follows: the humans of Earth who used the Stargate as a method to explore the universe became a hazard to the people of Earth, as well as the occupants of several other worlds. The Ancients, a benevolent people, realized this threat and surfaced to resolve this threat. They removed the species and colonizers from outside our galaxy to their respective homes, sealed of our galaxy with the 'Great Barrier', and in a remarkable feat, activated all of our galaxy's Stargates at once, and sent an energy surge through the wormholes to destroy them all...except a few which and been previously disabled.
    Now the crew of Outpost 215 have found a Stargate on their planet, and have reactivated it, and begun exploring other worlds, in other galaxies, through the gate.
    This is only my spin on things, and a suggestion to some creative narrators out there. I have a knack for combining different series' out there to make an interesting story arcs. Have fun, anyway!

------------------
    I fight fires 'cause the voices tell me to...

We'll be able to see this late summer/early fall what the Star Trek novel writers come up with in terms of the Iconians with their Gateways crossover.

Star Trek: Gateways: Book One of Seven: One Small Step
    Star Trek: Challenger: Gateways: Book Two of Seven: Chainmail
    Star Trek: The Next Generation: Gateways: Book Three of Seven: Doors into Chaos
    Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Gateways: Book Four of Seven: Demons of Air and Darkness
    Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways: Book Five of Seven: No Man's Land
    Star Trek: New Frontier: Gateways: Book Six of Seven: Cold Wars
    Star Trek: Gateways: What Lay Beyond

Check out the covers and info at http://www.psiphi.org/cgi/upc-db/res...ltext=Gateways

Hopefully some new and exciting Iconian details will be revelead. There was some information about them in the book Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Devil's Heart.

One useful thing you might want to remember is the fact established in the DS9 episode, "To The Death", that the gateways, or at least that gateway, emit a kind of dampening field which prevents the use of energy weapons in it's vicinity.

I ran "Enter Chimera" (great episode, Dave) and one of my PCs was all set on vaporising the gateway, as soon as he set eyes on it,to
    prevent the opposing force getting their hands on it. I'd kind of forgotten about the dampening field, and 'invented' it on the spot to keep the adventure moving, only to discover that this was canon, when rewatching the episode.
    As an aside, we had a great comedy moment when one of our crew lobbed a stone through the gateway at the moment that a particular female officer of the opposing side was in view. When next seen on our ship's viewscreen, she had a most satisfying lump on her head.

Long Tom

Locations: We know of one portal in the RNZ, aswell as one near the Gamma Quadrant WH.

Obviously multi-quadrant power in its hey day.

1000! YEs Sir.

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Originally posted by Long Tom:
    One useful thing you might want to remember is the fact established in the DS9 episode, "To The Death", that the gateways, or at least that gateway, emit a kind of dampening field which prevents the use of energy weapons in it's vicinity.

I ran "Enter Chimera" (great episode, Dave) and one of my PCs was all set on vaporising the gateway, as soon as he set eyes on it,to
    prevent the opposing force getting their hands on it. I'd kind of forgotten about the dampening field, and 'invented' it on the spot to keep the adventure moving, only to discover that this was canon, when rewatching the episode.
    As an aside, we had a great comedy moment when one of our crew lobbed a stone through the gateway at the moment that a particular female officer of the opposing side was in view. When next seen on our ship's viewscreen, she had a most satisfying lump on her head.

Long Tom
    I Just finished running that adventure and i must say it was very enjoyable. It had a definite Star trek feel to It. The Post about the dampening field was posted just in time for my use Tom, Thanks. And as a side note, One of my players did the same thing and threw a rock into the gateway, But at one of the other players back abord thier ship.

Karg

Talking

Thanks for the kind words, Long Tom and Karq!

I ran "Enter Chimera" a while back... and am making the Iconians a recuring secondary plot in my Romulan Neutral Zone campaign.

As a side note, it is amusing to see the initial frustration of my players who took Dominion and Cardassian related skills (tactcis, diplomacy, etc) only to be assigned to the Romulan border. Somebody has to watch the back door. They've resigned themselves to the fact that they're dealing with Romulans now... which makes it the perfect time to spring the "Dominion Spy works to ensure the Romulans don't enter the war on the side of the Klingons and Federation" plot.

FYI: The campaign is set just before Sisko's little shenanigains... but how much before, I'm not telling the players. )

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

One of these days, I'm going to have my PCs run across an Iconian portal and wind up in Nathan Phillips Square in the early 1970's, for reasons obvious to those who know where that it is.

Calguard66's sig says:
    ""I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..." - Shania Twain"

My business partner went to school with Elaine Twain in Timmins, the lucky bastidge!

Arrow

Ummm . . . no I don't know what you mean . . . but it would be nice if you told us.

But think about it . . . anyone who discovers a gateway . . . and it sends you back to sometime in the past . . . your PCs would have to do their best to get themselves home . . . furthermore, they'd have to follow the Prime Time Directive ( I know there's an actual name for that ). That would make for an interesting story . . . can you imagine them appearing inside the ENTERPRISE STS as it was being premiered with the cast of Star Trek being right out side . . . hehe.

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

Are the Iconian Gateways time capable? I thought they were only spatial transport gateways!

------------------
    '...The Borg have stopped at deck 10...'
    '...Deflector Control, no vital systems...'

Not a vital system! What the heck do you think stops the ship going 'poof' every time it goes to warp?

- ST:First Contact; Lt Hawk

Hmmm . . . not stated canon wise . . . therefore as my first GM, and Narrator RoleModel would say "I'll allow it!"

------------------
    "See Everything; overlook a great deal; correct a little." -Pope John XXIII

I don't see why the Iconian portals wouldn't/shouldn't be time capable... I would go long way toward explaining the Guardian of Forever.

------------------
    "They could fire until they're lasers ran dry; they wouldn't harm the Enterprise.
    -Capt. Picard