Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Conversion Guidelines

Re: Expanded Psionic Skills

Originally posted by METH
    In the Coda System, are the Expanded Psionic Skills in disfavor? For instance, one of my characters Picked up Telekinesis from the old LUG Player's Guide. How would we convert this?
    The conversion guidelines only help convert characters/traits/abilities to their Coda counterparts. Where there is no Coda counterpart the Narrator will have to fill in the blanks. I'm not prepared to go through every Icon book and every possible situation and hobble together rules to mimic Icon abilities.
    If this is not to be used, how would we portray skills of NPCs such as Pah-Wraiths, Prophets, and Q?
    None of those need/use stats. They are driven by plot and story. The Q doesn't make a test to toss the Enterprise several thousand light-years; he simply does it.
    Mass Effect Fate RPG | "Mass Effect meets Fate meets awesome = FREE"
    Contributor, Gnome Stew
    "In every revolution, there's one man with a pizza."
    Star Trek (TOS) "Pizza, Pizza" (Second season), story by D.S.McBride

Cool

Originally posted by Doug Burke

Another possibility for Sexy is Skill Focus (Seductive).
    Damn! How in the world did I miss that?? I'm sorry. I should have known better.

Don, I apologize (what do you mean, you don't care? Good grief! ). Great job on the conversion guidelines. I'm sure they'll get plenty of use.
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Thumbs up

Thanks Don, Way Cool

Karg

Conversion and Advancements

Anyone have an idea on how to get a rough idea of how many advancements a converted character has other than rebuilding the character from the ground up? Something "quick and dirty"?

Allen

Nice Job.

Thanks for the convertion rules!

I have a question though.
    As CODA has a attribute max +2 on the end of the attribute convertions does not seem to fit.
    By page 78 of the PG "You maximum level in any attribute is 12 plus your species bonus"
    A human with a 5 attribute and a +2 edge would have a 14 in CODA, which contradicts page 78.
    If you drop the +2 off the end of the formula you would have a 12, so you would have max in each system matching up.
    Also a 2 in ICON is average, and would convert to 4 in CODA for low average(no negative modifier).
    So is this correct or is there something else going on in the formula that I am missing?

Thank you.

Then stop 'em at 12.

If you have humans running around with 5's in attributes and +2 edges you have larger problems then worrying about doing seemless conversions...
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Then stop 'em at 12.

If you have humans running around with 5's in attributes and +2 edges you have larger problems then worrying about doing seemless conversions...
    I had a character like that (or more accurately, one of my players did); had psionics too. It seems that his trip through the Icon-Coda Transporter was not successful and he had one of those transporter accidents....<g>

Allen

You know what we need now - Coda/CCG conversion rules
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Originally posted by Don Mappin
    Then stop 'em at 12.

How about answering the question in stead of jumping to stupid conclutions!

This was an example. The problem is worse with aliens, and it is impossible to get a one when you convert. So why are you stacking the deck? Why do you want all characters to end up with nothing less than a six? Talk about problems to deal with.

"Meesa say 'too bad!'"

Originally posted by euson1
    How about answering the question in stead of jumping to stupid conclutions!
    I did. You apparently didn't get the answer you wanted.
    Contributor, Gnome Stew

What about the question asked in the second post?
    Why the skew toward the high end of the chart?

Well, since the conversion is 2xICON+2, a 2 in ICON would be a 6 (2x2=4+2=6) in CODA. Not quite a 7, but failry close.

Originally posted by euson1
    How about answering the question in stead of jumping to stupid conclutions

Why do some people have to be rude and nasty to someone who, for no recompense, has taken the time to do so many nice things for the Star Trek RPG community? Please don't do this again.

Allen

Personnally, I'm OK with these conversions. The thing is, CODA attributes are much more widespread in values than ICON ones, so having a perfect conversion could imply mathematical formulas as simple as the one for calulating warp factor TNG scale .
    So, OK, it may not be entirely satisfying for a Fit 5 Str+2 human (CODA Str 14), or a Fit 1 Str-1 Ferengi (CODA Str 3). Well my view in that case is, if you really want to have a very very low attribute (or don't want it to be too high), is simply remove the exceeding points and ask the player to put them elsewhere (if a human has 14 in an attribute, top it at 12 and spend the two points on other attributes, related if possible). Such tweakings will be necessary in the conversion anyway (like the specialities, for instance, since two specialities in ICON convert as one in CODA, making a choice necessary).
    On one other point, it seems to me the average for an attribute in CODA is 6, isn't it ? 4 being the low average, and below are the exceptionnally weak values. So the average human in ICON will have 6 in most attributes in CODA... works for me.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Originally posted by C5
    Personnally, I'm OK with these conversions. The thing is, CODA attributes are much more widespread in values than ICON ones, so having a perfect conversion could imply mathematical formulas as simple as the one for calulating warp factor TNG scale .
    So, OK, it may not be entirely satisfying for a Fit 5 Str+2 human (CODA Str 14), or a Fit 1 Str-1 Ferengi (CODA Str 3). Well my view in that case is, if you really want to have a very very low attribute (or don't want it to be too high), is simply remove the exceeding points and ask the player to put them elsewhere (if a human has 14 in an attribute, top it at 12 and spend the two points on other attributes, related if possible). Such tweakings will be necessary in the conversion anyway (like the specialities, for instance, since two specialities in ICON convert as one in CODA, making a choice necessary).
    On one other point, it seems to me the average for an attribute in CODA is 6, isn't it ? 4 being the low average, and below are the exceptionnally weak values. So the average human in ICON will have 6 in most attributes in CODA... works for me.
    Thanks C5. Maybe my question wasn't clear earlier. Is a ICON 2 equal to a CODA 6? At first glance that seems skewed. ICONx2 seems like simple fit. Yeah a normal human would average at 4, but are not Starfleet officers suppose to be above average? In CODA they seem to be. But in ICON template based character creation thier attibutes start out as just average. So is the +2 designed to pump them up some? I am just curious as to why the formula was set up as it is. I think you probably hit the answer on the head with the 6 being the average.